Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist's Pre-Wedding Dinner: June 12, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be completely honest, I don't think it even matters what Sofia wears. People here would love her no matter what she did because she is marrying a prince.

What a nice way to deal with people who have a different opinion from yours.

Th general idea of the dress was good, and the color too but to me Sofia had a mix of Kim Kardashian's manners and Duchess Catherine of Cambridge's hair...

From Stenstroms, which is apparently a Swedish clothing brand and store:

But, it's not a white-tie event, right? i don't think men comply with that dresscode either?

Black tie
Black tie (in America, tuxedo or simply “tux”) is the comfortable formalwear alternative for many occasions. It can be worn throughout the day and long into the night until the party ends. There are several models: single or double-breasted, with or without silk stripes and in colours black, midnight blue or grey. The fabric may have a silver-gloss or fine velvet finish.

The shirt should have a wing collar, double cuffs (French cuffs) with cufflinks, and preferably narrow pleats and concealed buttoning. Etiquette dictates that the bow tie should be black or dark blue, but nowadays, other colours are acceptable. A cummerbund to match the bow tie completes the ensemble. For the ladies, an evening gown, full-length dress or even a more daring, décolleté (low-cut) very short evening dress is quite appropriate.

Low cut gowns are not unusual in social situations, and they are actually considered to be a part of a dress code. Of course, not every woman is comfortable in such a gown, but for those who are, it is not considered tasteless or vulgar in a sophisticated milieu such as this wedding.

Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist's Pre-Wedding Dinner: June 12, 2015

Dress Code for Ladies:

Full-length, formal evening dress. It is traditional, but not essential, to show décolletage. Shorter dresses or trousers, no matter how smart, are not acceptable. - See more at: White Tie, Dress Codes, A to H, British Behaviour, British Etiquette | Debrett's

So decolletage is traditional, and trousers (green or otherwise) are not acceptable. Granted, this is British etiquette, but I have no ready source for Swedish or Scandinavian etiquette.

Trousers are acceptable at both black- and whitetie events if they are in a material that could've been used in a dress worn to the same event. Also acceptable for both men and women is a traditional folk dress.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Trousers are acceptable at both black- and whitetie events if they are in a material that could've been used in a dress worn to the same event. Also acceptable for both men and women is a traditional folk dress.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Of course trousers are acceptable, DeBretts is probably a bit old-fashioned, and that's who I was quoting.

But, it's not a white-tie event, right? i don't think men comply with that dresscode either?
You are correct. This is not a white tie event. At least I did not see a single man wearing white tie tailcoat.

That's a great approach: that trousers are acceptable if in a material that could have been used in a dress worn to the same event.

I think it's wonderful that a Queen has worn trousers to such an event. DeBretts is outdated and some Royal ladies like Silvia are setting new standards. It's about time!

(...)

Princesses Christina and Désirée didn't attend, at least I haven't seen photos of them. There was a photo of princess Christina walking near the Royal Palace earlier today.

Princess Christina attended :) She is in the photo at this gallery at this site --> Prins Carl Philips och Sofias bröllop | kungligt | Expressen when she left p-w diner and she wore flower pattern "cape" ;)

CP Haakon was at pre-weeding diner. Maybe as Madeleine and Chris he chose car ride :)

The King and The Queen left pre-wedding diner at 2:30, CP Victoria and P Daniel at 3:40.

I saw a gallery of photos - why some guests (2 or 3) take pram with babies at p-w diner? I know that breast-feeding (maybe) but why? Babies should stay at home :) So we may suppose that they take babies to the church? :/

Last edited:
As I see, I loved the Sofia dress. The blue one was great in her body. She looked stunning.

Queen Silvia made a good choice wearing pants, because it seamt confortable. Victoria and Madeleine looked great.

I thought Sofia looked beautiful and happy. Queen Silvia's ensemble a question mark for me. Both Victoria and Madeleine looked beautiful. Madeleine and Chris looked very very happy.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Um no. That could very well be flesh-colored fabric added to line the dress.

Ok, I get it. No-one wants to believe that it's a really daring dress. But I see the borders of the skin-coloured bits and they only cover the middle of breasts.

I have no problem with this. I hope she dares to wear something more bold tomorrow. We've seen so many boring dresses. Like the reporters said, something with a "Hollywood feeling".

:previous: If there were a flesh covered lining in the dress why would we see those glaring pink pasties?

While I thought the dress beautiful from afar, I'm starting to wonder what was she thinking?

Looks like flesh colored lining to me, I guess you can see what you want in life

I have reviewed all the images of Sofia's gown tonight. I see flesh colored fabric or built in bra into her bodice. The bit of pink that you are seeing I believe is reflection of the red carpet they are walking on in the crystals of her bodice. They would reflect pinky shades.

I have reviewed all the images of Sofia's gown tonight. I see flesh colored fabric or built in bra into her bodice. The bit of pink that you are seeing I believe is reflection of the red carpet they are walking on in the crystals of her bodice. They would reflect pinky shades.

That makes sense, I was starting to wonder if that pink weren't a reflection of something.

Yes, I designed couture bridal gowns years ago with emphasis on crystal beading. My bet is there was an inner corset in flesh silk fabric, could be taffeta, with heavily beaded lace bodice of Swarovski crystals. With strong sunlight on the red carpet, water and crystals the diffused light through crystals would amplify reds and pinks.?

I thought Sofia looked beautiful and happy. Queen Silvia's ensemble a question mark for me. Both Victoria and Madeleine looked beautiful. Madeleine and Chris looked very very happy.

Could not agree more.
Sofias dress is divine, a wonderfull and beautiful gown, the "Princess" of the evening. Suites her perfectly. Agree on Victoria and Madeleine and the questionmark on Queen Silvia.
BYe Bine

Since my favorite color is blue, I am in love with Sofia's gown. I think the nude color heels play up the color of the dress. They look happy and I look forward to the wedding tomorrow. I hope I wake up in time to watch it! :ROFLMAO:

I think Sofia looks fantastic and so very happy. Her gown is wonderfully imaginative, the colour is gorgeous on her and she has the fuller figure to really carry it off. Thanks baguetteprincess for you insight. I have been reading the posts and have to admit to giggling more than a little at the notion of "skin-coloured bits" being the only thing covering her breasts under the crystals.

As we all know and have seen, Sofia is quite generously endowed and the notion of her wearing a backless gown and no bra just doesn't hold up. I think her gown is a tribute to the skill artistry of the designer. Sofia has dressed perfectly for this occasion and looks set to fare well for the wedding gown.

I thought Victoria's gown was beautiful and a little more daring in the decolletage than we are used to. Regardless, she wore it with style and the elegance of her updo finished it perfectly. I thought Madeleine's gown looked wonderful. It is really difficult to find something comfortable to wear for a woman so close to term and I think she did remarkably well.

As to Silvia's pantsuit, the less said the better. The colour just didn't do it for her. There were several ensembles with pants and they were gorgeous, such as this one. Don't know who she is, but love her ensemble:

http://media.shootitlive.com/RibdWb7lBSk1fNepZ3HjFCPzDQD/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3675

http://media.shootitlive.com/NXF9Qsrd0lAhpvGuPZJvqR6gCuk/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940

Princess Christina attended :) She is in the photo at this gallery at this site --> Prins Carl Philips och Sofias bröllop | kungligt | Expressen when she left p-w diner and she wore flower pattern "cape" ;)

Yes, princess Christina attended yesterday at the graduation ceremony for the Sophia Sisters and delivered the exams at the Stockholm City Hall, she came to the dinner after that. She is the honorary chairman of the Sophia Home.

Why did Mette-Marit come with Prince Daniel and Victoria? I saw a photo about Haakon leaving the boat. He was also there... When did he come on boat? And strange that they leaving the boat separat... ?

The last pictures shows Mette-Marit alone:
http://www.therealmyroyals.com/?p=4928

Last edited:
Last edited:
Did Prince Frederick and Princess Mary of Denmark attend?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, this is son of Princess Birgitta -Prince Hubertus with wife Ute
I think, this women is daughter of Princess Margaretha - Sibilla and the man is her son Patrick

Back
Top Bottom