Prince Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist's Marriage Banns and Reception: May 17, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Prince Carl Philip once was Sweden's Crown Prince and, despite having lost that position, he still represents a new generation in the Royal House of Bernadotte, via the direct male lineage of all the Kings and Princes before him. Seen from the more conservative view, after Victoria the House of Bernadotte will have lost the throne of Sweden as Estelle is in fact a Westling.

Of course we are now in 2015 and maybe we have a different view on that, but in terms of royal descent, genealogy and heraldry Carl Philip is the procreator of the Bernadotte dynasty. I can imagine that especially King Carl XVI Gustaf (whom was never happy with the retro-active "robbing" of his son's royal birthright and position as Heir) wants to stress that this is a dynastically very important marriage for him.

:flowers:

I believe Daniel legally changed his name to "Westling-Bernadotte" so that Estelle could remain a Bernadotte (like the Mountbatten-Windsors in the UK, I guess).

Significantly, unlike Daniel for example, she didn't become "HRH Princess Sofia of Sweden". I assume "princess" in her case is just a courtesy title.

True, but at least it's now official that she will be a princess and a H.R.H. in that case. For Daniel it was a little different so to me it doesn't differ all that much.

I will say again I doubt Victoria cares as long as her brother is happy. Victoria will be Queen and that trumps her brother by a long shot. So they did something different I think it's their moment let them enjoy it the family obviously had no problem with the change.

I will say again I doubt Victoria cares as long as her brother is happy. Victoria will be Queen and that trumps her brother by a long shot. So they did something different I think it's their moment let them enjoy it the family obviously had no problem with the change.

No one of us knows what Victoria thinks. Of course she is happy for her brother, because he seems happy now. And otherwise Victoria does like the king wants. The king is the head of the family and Victoria respects that. It would be good if the king also would respect his daughter and heir to the throne and show his support in his acts.

According to Svensk Damtidning, the chapel wasn't full.
Det lyste av kärlek inne i kyrkan _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

The press reports that although Carl Philip and Sofia asked instead of presents to donate to their Foundation, the guests had a lot of presents. Countess Marianne Bernadotte had a bag from Georg Jensen with a present.

I miss princess Christina.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures, and it's good to hear Sofia will become a Princess and Duchess.

Johan T Lindwall tells in Expressen that Estelle followed the ceremony intently, as you can see in the pictures inside the church.
- Estelle is Estelle. She is accustomed to these events and did not seem to think it was something strange.
Her younger cousin Princess Leonore did not show the same curiosity - and instead took the solemn moment of opportunity to rest a little.
- Leonore was tired so when Chris O'Neill passed my seat on row 21, she slept safely in daddy's arms. He carried her out of the church, says Johan T Lindwall.
Estelle nyfiken – Leonore somnade _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

From the reception, receiving the presents
The prime minister and the speaker of the Parliament gave the government's and parliament's present, a double kayak
http://media.shootitlive.com/FYT9ihD9T25K4qGOerUjq8USVfa/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3568
A guitar from Älvdalen municipality.
http://media.shootitlive.com/C6bmDNqNO2YzhGiQSC1Me7UXEJM/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3568
http://media.shootitlive.com/F28I58HnaZcdo4z2WY3T3USBvSS/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3568
http://media.shootitlive.com/WZHz6guxidSWVQRr750pxinhWQt/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1917
A present from Dalarna, by governor Maria Norrfalk.
http://media.shootitlive.com/XCs5g2U3CRCNLixQ06k596kS7jR/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3568
A present from Värmland County, by governor Kenneth Johansson.
http://media.shootitlive.com/Y0MnbggtNAS0zUWTyN5qtfae8kh/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3568

The king and queen with Sofia's parents
http://media.shootitlive.com/Um2iykWuInvKlQkZATgCx372y8g/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3568

Madeleine leaving after the short reception, according to the press Victoria and family left just before her.
http://media.shootitlive.com/CeCe7eRbmtNsiKnx4QdEqVZKxQB/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1917
http://media.shootitlive.com/RdbrVlCsMh5yWrqm7U8ZdaAZDue/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1917

According to Aftonbladet, the couple's friends have been invited to 16.00 to give their presents.

Prinsessan Estelle trivdes och Leonore sov _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Gallery
IBL Bildbyrå

Nannies; Elisabeth Zimmermann for Leonore and behind Estelle's nanny Katie Millington
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010040011G1431872566958268

From Project Playground, secretary general Daniel Madhani and the chairman of the Board, Sofia Breitholtz
http://media.shootitlive.com/Cxg4hHVnpderdAqAM9RHRAtKy6p/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1917

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Carl Philip once was Sweden's Crown Prince and, despite having lost that position, he still represents a new generation in the Royal House of Bernadotte, via the direct male lineage of all the Kings and Princes before him. Seen from the more conservative view, after Victoria the House of Bernadotte will have lost the throne of Sweden as Estelle is in fact a Westling.

Of course we are now in 2015 and maybe we have a different view on that, but in terms of royal descent, genealogy and heraldry Carl Philip is the procreator of the Bernadotte dynasty. I can imagine that especially King Carl XVI Gustaf (whom was never happy with the retro-active "robbing" of his son's royal birthright and position as Heir) wants to stress that this is a dynastically very important marriage for him.

I don't think the King will ever "go over" Carl Philip being stripped of his Crown Prince status and will anything to for him. JMHO

Group picture reception (in HQ):
ImageBam

Picture:Kungahuset.se

Last edited:
What does Carl do for a living?

ImageBam
As per this photo, Sofia's mother needs to learn how to pose, her knees are open and the hands their doesn't look right, hope somebody tells her.
after that, everybody looks lovely and I think Sofia is beautiful!

No one of us knows what Victoria thinks. Of course she is happy for her brother, because he seems happy now. And otherwise Victoria does like the king wants. The king is the head of the family and Victoria respects that. It would be good if the king also would respect his daughter and heir to the throne and show his support in his acts.

Among Carl Gustaf's children, Victoria is the only one who has her own household and who takes up official engagements such as diplomatic missions. I guess there is no doubt then the the King fully acknowledges her legal status as the heir to the throne (not least because he has no alternative but to accept it as that is the law of the land). Accordingly, Victoria was raised to be the future Head of State while her siblings were not.

Duc et Pair, however, raised an interesting point. Victoria will be queen, but, following traditional dynastic custom, Carl Philip, as the most senior male descendant of King Carl XIV Johan, could in theory claim for himself the position of head of the Bernadotte family when his father is gone. I don't think he will as, again, most of the family's private assets, e.g. the items in the Bernadotte foundation, are probably entrusted to the sovereign anyway. Maybe the King, deep inside, makes that distinction and sees Victoria as his successor as the constitutional head of state, but CP as his heir as head of the family.

I'm not a fan of Sofia's outfit. Victoria looks great though. :D

Sofia looked okay, but I hate fascinator hats.:bang:

Victoria would have been perfect except the hemline of her dress bothers me...it looks uneven and awkward.

I love fascinators, I feel they are a great way for the young to take part in the always wearing a hat tradition. I don't like Sofia's because I feel it clashes with her dark hair.

Seeing the redheaded sisters makes me wonder if Sofia dyes her hair.

The mother's dress looks like the LK Bennett dress Kate has in blue and Maxima has a lookalike in white.

Looking forward to the wedding!

I hate the Fascinators. They look terrible on all. Sofia's mother looks very nice. They seem like a nice family.

Seeing the redheaded sisters makes me wonder if Sofia dyes her hair.

The mother's dress looks like the LK Bennett dress Kate has in blue and Maxima has a lookalike in white.

Looking forward to the wedding!

Light brunette is Sofia's natural hair color.

That is a very nice group photo.

I note that only the royal women are wearing anything on their heads. I would assume that if it was the custom for well-dressed ladies to wear hats into church, that Sofia's family members would have worn some sort of hat for this important social event. What is the custom in Sweden?

I dislike facinators as well, and I dislike loose hair under any hat-like item. It is a pity that Sofia went for the same hairstyle as the Duchess of Cambridge. The result is usually less than elegant, a bit sloppy even. Same goes for Madeleine. I love the little bow on Estelle though.

The outfits themselves are nice enough. It seems that the Bernadotte ladies coordinated their pale outfits. I like the outfit of the Hellqvist sister with the hair up best and we should be grateful that Mrs. Hellqvist actually adds some color to the thing in her LK Bennett dress. The colour of Victoria's outfit is also quite nice. The queen looks elegant as usual, though perhaps it is time to consider softening her hair colour a bit. It starts to give Gerhard Schröder vibes.

Last edited:
[...]

It starts to give Gerhard Schröder vibes.

So true...

:lol:

What does Carl do for a living?

I believe Prince Carl Philip is self-employed. In essence he is a graphic designer. After this he continued with studying agriculture and forestry, with practice on several estates. Two years ago the Prince graduated on the University of Agricultural Scieneces in Rural Management. Probably the Prince will have a role in the management of the royal domains.

The royal family manages some large domains which obtain revenues in the form of rents and leases. The domains of Djurgården (near Stockholm), Solliden (on the island of Öland), Stenhammar (near Flen), Solbacken (near Kalmar) are examples. As Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine seem not so interested in managing these properties, probably Prince Carl Philip will take this role. He has a perfect education for becoming the Master of the Royal Domains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Prince Carl Philip is self-employed. In essence he is a graphic designer. After this he continued with studying agriculture and forestry, with practice on several estates. Two years ago the Prince graduated on the University of Agricultural Scieneces in Rural Management. Probably the Prince will have a role in the management of the royal domains.

The royal family manages some large domains which obtain revenues in the form of rents and leases. The domains of Djurgården (near Stockholm), Solliden (on the island of Öland), Stenhammar (near Flen), Solbacken (near Kalmar) are examples. As Princess Victoria and Princess Madeleine seem not so interested in managing these properties, probably Prince Carl Philip will take this role. He has a perfect education for becoming the Master of the Royal Domains.

Villa Solbacken, which is located in the Djurgården domain and used to be Prince Bertil's home, is now privately owned by Prince Carl Philip, who inherited it from his late uncle. I believe he is planning to live there with the Duchess of Värmland (HRH Princess Sofia) after they get married.

:previous: Oh dear! It's not as bad as I expected after reading your description, sesa. The elements are actually very nicely placed and balanced. Though it's not to my personal taste, perhaps CP and Sofia like that sort of very modern stuff. They might give it pride of place in their home.

I wonder if that's anything like the items CP designs himself. It's definitely not to my taste but may be of the style he creates. Has anyone seen pictures of what he has done?

Back
Top Bottom