Frederik and Mary's Pre-Wedding Festivities: May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh doesn't Mary look beautiful?

Thank you so much to everyone who has posted pictures.

I know this is a silly thing to say... but seeing her looking around herself in the pictures I wonder if inside she is thinking "wow! what am I doing here?" :lol: or perhaps she is used it all by now.

Such beautiful pictures, thank you very much. :heart:

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@May 11th, 2004 - 12:58 pm

great photos, Mary with ruby tiara!!!!!!!!
[url=http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=745662&forside]http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php?id=745662&forside[/url] [/b][/quote]
Oh my God, I clicked the movie links (although I don't understant ANY Danish!) and I hear the song "Lovers Lullaby" and it was so romantic! If anyone has any information on the singer and/or the song, I'd much appreciate it!

Anyway, Mary looks very comfortable with a tiara on and she does look like a natural. I hope there'll be more tiara appearances soon!

HRH The Crown Price’s Reply at the Reception at Copenhagen City Hall

Dear Lord Mayor,

On behalf of my fiancée, Miss Mary Donaldson, I should like to express our sincere gratitude for the City of Copenhagen’s beautiful wedding present, and for this reception at the Copenhagen City Hall.

Today is my fiancée’s first visit to Copenhagen City Hall. I am fairly certain that my own first visit here must have been on the occasion of my Christening in June 1968, when I was driven in an open car through the city of Copenhagen, which was decked out in flags.

It would be wrong of me to say that I remember that day. Judging from press photos from the occasion, I wasn't in a very good mood for part of that journey!

I do, however, remember a number of occasions when I have visited the City Hall in connection with official events, or when we have had an event to celebrate in my family.

From my earliest childhood, I have sat quietly on the golden chairs and observed and absorbed the many details in this beautiful Banqueting Hall, while the grown-ups listened to the numerous speeches that always accompany these events.

The coats of arms below the ceiling, remind one of the banqueting hall of King Arthur’s Court; the red swallow-tailed flags; all the gold, and the huge chandeliers.

And then there were the enormous walrus sculls with their tusks. They were enough to give a little boy much food for thought.

Above them, one could see the Falcon of Iceland, the Polar Bear from Greenland and the Sheep of the Faroe Islands.

I am quite sure that the strong impressions we receive as children remain with us. I have always been happy to come here - and I can say that the Copenhagen City Hall is very much part of my childhood and youth.

In a few days we shall celebrate our wedding, and I suppose I ought to confess already that I have violated Christian III’s regulation not to invite more than 24 couples and 12 good friends to the wedding. Also, both beer and wine will be served. I think the fine for those guilty of breaking the rule then was in the order of 40 marks to the City, and 40 marks to the Monarch. Still, I suppose it is negotiable?

Once again, thank you very much for today’s reception at the City Hall. Thank you for many years of warm and genuine hospitality here in the Home of the City.

And, naturally, my fiancée and I wish to thank you most warmly for this very beautiful gift which we shall use and enjoy.

Thank you.

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 11th, 2004 - 11:41 pm
Pavlos is way better looking than him!

I was refering to Crown Princes of ruling houses, not Crown Princes of non-ruling houses.
So what our are choices, Felipe and Prince Charles and Willem-Alexander? WA is much cuter.

So what our are choices, Felipe and Prince Charles and Willem-Alexander? WA is much cuter.

You think Crown Prince Willem-Alexander is cute? You must be joking right? Have you noticed his teeth?

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 12th, 2004 - 9:04 am

You think Crown Prince Willem-Alexander is cute? You must be joking right? Have you noticed his teeth?
Fred does have better teeth, but WA is better looking.

Originally posted by Bubbette+May 12th, 2004 - 3:13 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bubbette @ May 12th, 2004 - 3:13 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-montecarlo@May 12th, 2004 - 9:04 am

Fred does have better teeth, but WA is better looking. [/b][/quote]
forgive me for asking,
but, from which side does W-A would be appropriately call good looking?
cause. i just don't see the attraction :p

Originally posted by sarkastik_devil+May 12th, 2004 - 9:19 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sarkastik_devil @ May 12th, 2004 - 9:19 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Bubbette@May 12th, 2004 - 3:13 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-montecarlo
@May 12th, 2004 - 9:04 am

forgive me for asking,
cause. i just don't see the attraction :p [/b][/quote]
I have to second that...

He is WAY too big. It can't be good for his health to carry that overweight. And I don't find it attractive.

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 12th, 2004 - 9:30 am
Reception at Copenhagen City Hall 2004

Mary is so classy and beautiful. I love her new hat. It's much better than the one she wore at the military tribute.
I like the other one better. You could se her face more in that one. But she is pretty whatever she wears...

Wow, Mary got tons of new dresses and suits in the last weeks. And I´ve to say (and I thought it before, that this would happen) she looks more and more like a crown princess Mary Elizabeth and less like a Mary Donaldson.

Originally posted by Cissan+May 12th, 2004 - 9:33 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cissan @ May 12th, 2004 - 9:33 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by sarkastik_devil@May 12th, 2004 - 9:19 am
<!--QuoteBegin-montecarlo@May 12th, 2004 - 9:04 am

forgive me for asking,
I have to second that...

He is WAY too big. It can't be good for his health to carry that overweight. And I don't find it attractive. [/b][/quote]
Overweight? Pardon...Prince Laurent has overweight, but not W-A. Maybe Fred is a little bit more attractive, but W-A is really cute. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
May 13, 2004 - The Mercury Australia

Mary To Sparkle in Napoleon Tiara

Mary's glittering tiara, earrings and so-called "collier" necklace is a 200-year-old set originally the brainchild of French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte. Napoleon ordered his jewellers to design opulent adornments for the wives of his 18 marshals. One of them, Carl Johan, later became king of Sweden, bringing his wife and her jewels to Scandinavia. The priceless ruby set came to Denmark in the 1870s when Swedish Princess Louise married the Danish Prince Frederik in 1871. Frederik later became Danish King Frederik VIII from 1906 to 1912. Ever since then the jewels have traditionally been passed to the Danish crown princess at her wedding.

May 13, 2004 - The Mercury Australia
Written By: Ben English

Crowning Glory in Grand Arrival

Crowned for the first time in a royal tiara, Mary Donaldson looked every bit the princess she will soon become with a breathtaking appearance yesterday in the Danish capital. Mary was a picture of regal beauty in an elegant silk-brocade gown that trailed a metre behind her as she wowed a who's who of European power and aristocracy gathered in honour of her wedding to Crown Prince Frederik. But it was with the tiara worn by five queens before her over the past two centuries that Mary dramatically announced her impending arrival as a Danish princess. Frederik was by her side but all eyes were on Mary during one of her last nights out as an ordinary Aussie. Commentators for the Christiansborg Palace event, beamed live around this tiny nation, gushed that Mary had "blown everyone away" with her elegant entrance. Later, Mary seemed slightly tense with less than three days to her big day. But as far as Denmark is concerned, she need not worry. Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen has declared Mary Donaldson will be a princess of our times for her adopted country....

The country's top-selling daily newspaper, BT, ran a three-page tribute to Mary in the wake of her revealing interview this week that was published exclusively in Australia by The Mercury and other News Limited publications. "She oozes royal class and has clearly transgressed the line from the ordinary to the magically non-ordinary with grace and intelligence," the paper said. "Five days before the wedding, we finally got an insight into the person Mary Donaldson. "A strong and yet fragile person, a human being who can laugh and cry." Following the interview and a fly-on-the-wall documentary about her, shown on Monday, rival newspaper Ekstrabladet exclaimed: "Yes, she does speak! "After this, there can be little doubt that the Danes have taken their future queen to their hearts. She passed her royal exams with flying colours and the transformation seems perfect."

Danish royal observers said the former marketing executive had, with her selective interviews, created the perfect mix of mystery and intimacy required of a successful royal. "The apprenticeship is over," said Annelise Bistrup, author of several books on the Danish monarchy. "In spite of her ordinary, middle-class background, Mary Donaldson has succeeded in keeping an almost bigger royal distance to her surroundings than the family she's becoming a part of. "Not a word has escaped her pretty lips and this has enabled her to slowly build up a sense of mystery around her, which everyone agrees is a vital part of the monarchy. "Just giving two interviews before the wedding has certainly enhanced this image." TV presenter Lotte Thorsen was one of Mary's few critics. Commenting on the TV documentary, she said: "It was too staged. I noticed that Frederik picked his nose and Mary probably has smelly feet like the rest of us, which is reassuring I suppose but I find it a bit weird that she exposes herself with tears." The reporter who broke the story that Frederik and Mary were an item thought Mary's vulnerability made her even more likeable. "She has a wonderful way of talking about family," he said. "She will become a fantastic representative for Denmark."

Originally posted by The Watcher+May 12th, 2004 - 11:20 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Watcher @ May 12th, 2004 - 11:20 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Cissan@May 12th, 2004 - 9:33 am
Originally posted by sarkastik_devil@May 12th, 2004 - 9:19 am
<!--QuoteBegin-montecarlo
@May 12th, 2004 - 9:04 am

forgive me for asking,

I have to second that...

He is WAY too big. It can't be good for his health to carry that overweight. And I don't find it attractive.
Overweight? Pardon...Prince Laurent has overweight, but not W-A. Maybe Fred is a little bit more attractive, but W-A is really cute. :D

W-A 1
W-A 2 [/b][/quote]
I would just like to remind the concerned members of these posts that your talk is unrelated to our topic since we are supposed to talk about the Pre-Wedding and Wedding Festevities in Denmark and not of some Prince's teeth and who is good looking.

So if possible, please keep track with the topic.

TV presenter Lotte Thorsen was one of Mary's few critics. Commenting on the TV documentary, she said: "It was too staged. I noticed that Frederik picked his nose and Mary probably has smelly feet like the rest of us, which is reassuring I suppose but I find it a bit weird that she exposes herself with tears."

So Mary isn't allowed to cry over the death of her mother, because its too weird? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 12th, 2004 - 11:58 am
TV presenter Lotte Thorsen was one of Mary's few critics. Commenting on the TV documentary, she said: "It was too staged. I noticed that Frederik picked his nose and Mary probably has smelly feet like the rest of us, which is reassuring I suppose but I find it a bit weird that she exposes herself with tears."

So Mary isn't allowed to cry over the death of her mother, because its too weird? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
We really have the same opinion over that statement.

People should not just criticize others but also look at their ownselves first. We even cry at the death of our loved ones how much more with Mary when it is her mom. And besides, during the interview it was clear that Mary was real with what she said and even though her mother died last 1997, she could never really forget it because it is already a part of her life and she loved her mother.

Too bad it is raining.

Back
Top Bottom