Frederik and Mary's Pre-Wedding Festivities: May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
great photos, all of them!! so good to see :D

As for the photos of them kissing, it is considered to be "breaking a spell" for them to be seen kissing in public from the time of the engagement to the wedding ceremony itself. It is traditional for them not to be seen. It makes the kiss at the wedding ceremony all the more special. Of course, they can do as much kissing as they want in private. :p

AMAIZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just espect that she wear a tiara in the wedding and never before.
Is this the tiara she gona wear in her wedding day?????????

She is just wear a sache with the elefant and that star ( that i don't now what mean) like she is a princess.

I liked Mary's dress; not a wild fan of it (but better than the purple number worn at the Romanian state visit). The fabric chosen for it reminds me of a sofa or settee in a formal sitting room, but the cut sort of makes up for it. I think Mary has a touch too much blush on and the jewellery is way overdone. Between the tiara, the necklace and the dangly earrings :wacko:. I think one less item would've been a big improvement, whether it were the necklace or the earrings. (My vote is for the necklace to go.)

I tend to give Margrethe a bit more flack in her choice of clothes, but not wholly appreciative of the blue and green and turquoise feathery wing things she's going on in her gala dress. Is she preparing for flight after the dinner? Does she plan on flying Frederik and Mary to their honeymoon in this gown later on? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by karolinabraganza@May 11th, 2004 - 2:15 pm
today, after the rehearsel at copenhagen's cathedral
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50824726...9C30E9B9B114CE8
Mary looks soooooo skinny in this outfit. The angle of the picture really emphasizes her sharp jawline. In the second picture, the cinched waist of the jacket just further emphasizes how very thin Mary has gotten.

Margrethe's outfit is a good contender for 'The Most Terrible' thred I would say! There's mixing your patterns and there's mixing your patterns. It's a fine art I'm sure stylists will tell you, and Margrethe did not succeed here ... :sick:

I saw a closeup of Margrethe's tiara while watching the gala on the web. There are no words to describe how beautiful it is; gorgeously stunning.

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 11th, 2004 - 1:28 pm
I liked Mary's dress; not a wild fan of it (but better than the purple number worn at the Romanian state visit). The fabric chosen for it reminds me of a sofa or settee in a formal sitting room, but the cut sort of makes up for it. I think Mary has a touch too much blush on and the jewellery is way overdone. Between the tiara, the necklace and the dangly earrings :wacko:. I think one less item would've been a big improvement, whether it were the necklace or the earrings. (My vote is for the necklace to go.)

I tend to give Margrethe a bit more flack in her choice of clothes, but not wholly appreciative of the blue and green and turquoise feathery wing things she's going on in her gala dress. Is she preparing for flight after the dinner? Does she plan on flying Frederik and Mary to their honeymoon in this gown later on? :rolleyes:
IMO, Mary's dress looked like one of Alexandra's left overs, less the the black bow thingy in the back, which I hated.

With a few exceptions, I never really like any of Margarethe's outfits. Those sleaves were awful, IMO. So reminiscent of her 80s outfits.

I think Mary looked absolutetly stunning...her first "tiara" event...exciting, I can't wait until the wedding...or to see what the future holds!

. There are no words to describe how beautiful it is; gorgeously stunning.

I couldn't agree more. :flower: I am in complete awe..

Thanks Dennism and i agry with you Alexandra dress is very beutiful!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The gala is still going on. The entertainment portion is currently being broadcast ont the web. Mary's father looks bored.

May 11, 2004 - TV 2

A Glimpse of the Celebratory State Dinner

The halls are decked for a celebratory gala dinner at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen this evening. Attending the state dinner is the "official" Denmark, including members of state and Danish politicians....

The 350 guests will enjoy a four course meal prepared by the Copenhagen catering form Base Camp. The menu consists of quail paté and quail eggs with cabbage salad, followed by poached fish. The main course consists of roasted tenderloin with stuffed artichokes, new Danish potatoes and shallots in a crisp pastry. For dessert, a special chocolate cake. According to tradition, the guests will be served with wine from Prince Henrik's vineyard Caïx in the south of France. This time a special wine has been made in honour of the wedding, bearing the label "Cuvée Speciale Du Mariage Cahors".

May 12, 2004 - The Australian

Mary 'A Princess of Our Times'

Denmark's prime minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen has declared Mary Donaldson will be a princess of our times for her adopted country as he officially welcomed the Australian into the Danish monarchy. In a state dinner at the Danish Parliament at Christiansborg Palace tonight, Fogh Rasmussen promised that Hobart-born Donaldson would be warmly welcomed by all Danes when she marries Crown Prince Frederik in Copenhagen on Friday.

"You have already taken the Danish people by storm. The whole nation bids you welcome as the future wife of the Crown Prince," he said. "Over the years, thousands of young Danes have backpacked across Australia. They have been greeted with exciting experiences and Australian hospitality. "Dear Miss Donaldson, we will do our utmost to see that you also feel welcome and at home in our country."

Fogh Rasmussen told the several hundred guests, including Queen Margrethe II, her husband Prince Henrik and many political and military figures, that the couple's romance was a "fairy-tale reality". He was certain Donaldson had all the requirements of a Danish princess and future queen. "You are a woman with a special radiance, bound in considerable human and intellectual qualities," he said. "I have no doubt that you possess whatever is needed to fill and leave your mark on the role you are to take on for our country; the role of a real princess of our times. For more than a thousand years, the monarchy has been a uniting symbol for the Danish people. I am convinced that you will make a great contribution to ensuring that the monarchy continues as a national and uniting institution, linking the past with the present and the future."

Donaldson's parents, two sisters, brother and their spouses all attended the dinner at the historical parliamentary building in central Copenhagen. The princess-to-be, dressed in glittering jewels and tiara, lovingly adjusted her father's collar while waiting to be introduced to guests as they filed in. Fogh Rasmussen remarked on the tenuous links between Denmark and Tasmania, which Donaldson and Frederik have now firmly forged. "Our Danish forefathers, the Vikings, travelled widely, but not quite as far as Tasmania," he said. "And yet! A Dane, the explorer and adventurer Jorgen Jurgensen, took part in the foundation 200 years ago of Hobart, the capital of Tasmania. He became known as 'the Viking from Van Diemen's Land'. "When Hobart was founded in 1804, the Crown Prince of Denmark was also called Frederik. And his wife's name was Marie. Later, the Crown Prince became King Frederik the sixth with Queen Marie at his side. It is a strange and wonderful thing how the lines of history can meander and become entwined."

Donaldson, 32, left her Hobart home in her early 20s and met the heir to Denmark's throne in a pub at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, but for two years their relationship was not publicly acknowledged by his family. But Frederik, Fogh Rasmussen recalled, was not fazed by formal protocol and was proud of his Australian girlfriend. "Your Royal Highness, the first time I met you and Miss Donaldson together was on an aeroplane from Paris before your relationship had been officially announced," the prime minister said. "It is typical of your straightforwardness that you introduced me to Miss Donaldson with the words 'This is my girlfriend, Mary'." In closing his speech and raising a toast to the couple, Fogh Rasmussen called on an Aboriginal theme. "According to the indigenous Australians, the Aborigines, all living things on Earth were created in the 'Dreamtime'. Allow me to wish you both a 'Dreamtime' for you to create a life together."

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 11th, 2004 - 5:17 pm
A Dane, the explorer and adventurer Jorgen Jurgensen, took part in the foundation 200 years ago of Hobart, the capital of Tasmania. He became known as 'the Viking from Van Diemen's Land'. "When Hobart was founded in 1804, the Crown Prince of Denmark was also called Frederik. And his wife's name was Marie. Later, the Crown Prince became King Frederik the sixth with Queen Marie at his side. It is a strange and wonderful thing how the lines of history can meander and become entwined."
[/b]
Wow. How about that for a coincidence. It was written in the stars! :p

Originally posted by Sean.~@May 11th, 2004 - 4:09 pm
The gala is still going on. The entertainment portion is currently being broadcast ont the web. Mary's father looks bored.
Where on the web is it being broadcast?

Mary was absolutely radiant and beautiful. She exemplifies what a crown princess should look like. As for Alexandra, she looked quite elegant. However, I was not fond of her gown. Maybe because of the colour.

OH MY GOSH!!!! WOW!!

I didn't go on the net for 3 days and was absolutely amazed to see these wonderful pictures (just trying to ignore Margrethe's sleeves - the rest of her outfit was lovely). Alexandra looked beautiful too!!!

Mary looked WONDERFUL! She really looks like a Queen to me, especially with that tiara, which I expected but couldn't really imagine seeing! And this is on top of reading the interview she gave to Politiken which I really really loved. I kind of liked her before and certainly opposed those whose criticisms I didn't think were fair, but now I really do admire her!

Good on you Mary, and the best of luck with everything!!! :flower: :heart: :flower: :heart: :flower: :heart: :flower: :heart:

Mary looks amazing!!!! I am certain she was wearing Queen Ingrid's rubies. They are so breathtaking! Especially against her shiny dark hair!!

I think now's the time that I put a pic of Mary in my avetar (or whatever it's called!!!!)

Except I don't know how to do it! :p :p

OMG! Amazing. She looked beautiful. Fred looked so handsome.

Queen Ingrid would be Very Proud :flower:

Back
Top Bottom