Frederik and Mary's Pre-Wedding Festivities: May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:D very cute pictures

Its on tv right now... its quite good!
Fredrik and Mary looks so happy F :heart: M

Originally posted by Dennism@May 7th, 2004 - 2:37 pm
Looks like he got some of that stuff that is on his shirt in the last photo on his ears!
I think that is one of his suspenders.

Rather bright and red. Look likes the color of a popsicle.

I didn't see the concert! Did Powderfinger pwerform??? Can anyone write up their impression and what happened with the concert pls!!! People have said it was quite good!

Does anyone have a guest list of who attended the concert? I only saw pictures of (aside from Frederik and Mary of course), Joachim and Alexandra. No Queen Margrethe or Prince Henrik, none of Princess Benedikte or Queen Anne-Marie's children (i.e. Gustav and Nikolaos), or any of Mary's siblings?

A very friendly and warm smile ... and, it also looks "natural".

Elizajane

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such a good picture of her.. she looks so happy in it. Let's hope we see this smile a lot more in the future

Miss Mary Donaldson, soon to be Crown Princess of Denmark, makes a gesture from her sailing boat towards her fiancé, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark in the competing boat after she won the Royal Match Race in Copenhagen harbour, Sunday, April 9, 2004. The couple, due to wed Friday, signed on different boats to race against each other. The Crown Prince sailed with Danish sailing-icon Jesper Bank, whereas miss Donaldson competed along Australian America's Cup winner John Bertrand.

Mary

Thanks for the pictures everybody!

I really liked Queen Margrethe's pink top.

Mary's dress was great. Loved the detailing on her jacket. Though the jacket seemed a bit boxy for Mary. Maybe its just because she's lost weight it seems to hang more on her.

I can't get over how much Mary's sister Jane resembles her. When I saw the Colorpress pictures just in thumbnails (and without any coffee in me yet) I seriously thought it was Mary!

It's a shame that Alexandra recycled a dress for this special occasion. Don't get me wrong, recycling clothes is not a problem for me, but the festivities in the run up to the wedding are so special (and soooo photographed!) that it would be nice to see Alexandra in new outfits -- that also wouldn't steal the spotlight from Mary either.

May 10, 2004 - The Australian
Written By: Jasmina Nielsen

Donaldson Wins Pre-Wedding Race

Danish Crown Prince Frederik was defeated today in a pre-marriage regatta by his Australian fiancee, Mary Donaldson, who won a three-leg race in Copenhagen's harbour. Thousands of onlookers packed onto a pier to watch the sailing competition, organised by city officials as part of celebrations leading up to Friday's wedding in the capital's cathedral.

"It feels fantastic," said Donaldson, who was trimming the yacht, Song, that Australian ace John Bertrand helmed. Bertrand led the crew of Australia II to win the America's Cup in 1983. Frederik was at the helm of Sjaelsoe, an identical 12-metre, six-person crew boat. His tactician was Jesper Bank, a double Olympic gold medallist from Denmark. "It's sad, but we'll have a drink or two," Denmark's future king said with a smile.

After each boat, with jibs sporting the royal monogram, won a leg, Song picked up a strong northwest breeze in the final leg and took a comfortable lead after passing the last buoy. "The wind was very, very tricky," Bertrand said. When it was clear Frederik couldn't catch up, Bertrand handed the helm to Donaldson, who steered the boat across the finish line. After the regatta, Frederik added with a smile that he expected his wife-to-be would be gloating "with something about Australia...."

"She is tough," Bertrand said of the 32-year-old Tasmanian native. "She was all over the boat." Donaldson and the 35-year-old Frederik met during the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. Bertrand's win against US skipper Dennis Conner and the United States in the America's Cup ended the New York Yacht Club's 132-year reign as champion. Bank won gold medals at the Sydney and Barcelona Olympics and has held seven world yachting titles.

May 10, 2004 - The Australian

Mary Careful To Avoid Wedding Blues

Princess-in-waiting Mary Donaldson was careful not to get bruised, but worked as hard as any crew member to beat her fiance in a pre-wedding sailing race on Copenhagen harbour, her skipper said today....Mr Bertrand said Ms Donaldson, who will marry Prince Frederik on Friday in the capital's cathedral, was petite, but did not let her small size hold her back. "She was right into it," he told Channel 9....she's pulled a mainsheet on, she was counting the digital watch down which is part of her responsibility. She was also throwing the protest flag up when whenever we called for it, which was protesting against her husband-to-be. So she was right in the thick of things, it was pretty impressive."

At a state dinner on the eve of today's race, Ms Donaldson asked Mr Bertrand to help ensure she was not black and blue given the wedding was just days away. "She practised last week for a day and came up battered and bruised, she was telling me," he said. "Her knees were bruised, and her legs, and she got hammered about the face a little bit. So she said, 'Look, John, in preparation for the wedding, I can't get bruised too much, so we've got to be a little bit careful', which we clearly were." Mr Bertrand said the 32-year-old Tasmanian was ecstatic to beat her fiance's team, led by Jesper Bank, a double Olympic gold medallist from Denmark. He said there was no love lost between the two boats. "It was highly competitive out there. These guys don't like losing. It was not a friendly stoush, no. The Danes had more to lose than we did, we were interlopers coming in for the last couple of days."

Mr Bertrand said the boxing kangaroo flag flying on the back of the Australian yacht was a big hit with the Danes. "The boxing kangaroo flag was an important part of the ingredients, the pumped up chest of the pride of the nation and the red gloves for aggression," he said. "I got a message from Mary, she said that she was 11 years old when we won the America's Cup and could I please bring the boxing kangaroo battle flag with me and we flew it with great pride before the start and it became a big deal on national television here in Denmark." Mr Bertrand said he was pleasantly surprised at how much he enjoyed the state dinner hosted by Governor-General Michael Jeffery. "We thought it was going to be very, very formal but the people got on like a house on fire," he said. "Most importantly, Mary and I talked tactics on how we're going to try and do the job today."

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 9th, 2004 - 8:03 pm
Thanks for the pictures, Dennis!
You´re welcome. The more I read about Mary the more I like her. She will be my third favorite royal!

You´re welcome. The more I read about Mary the more I like her. She will be my third favorite royal!

Grace Kelly will always be my favourite princess. Mary will soon be my second favourite. I'm guessing Victoria of Sweden is your favourite. May I ask who your second favourite princess is, being that Mary will soon be your third favourite?

Originally posted by montecarlo@May 9th, 2004 - 8:21 pm
I'm guessing Victoria of Sweden is your favourite. May I ask who your second favourite princess is, being that Mary will soon be your third favourite? [/b]
Yes, correct guess on number 1. How did you know? :p Number 2 is Martha Louise.

Thanks for the pics. I liked the outfit Mary wore at the Australian dinner. The fabric on the jacket was very beautiful. Kind of Indian-inspired. She really has an interesting style.

TC
Barbara

The Age article (Melbourne)

There is a lovely photograph of the couple.

Mad about Mary
By Paul Mulvey

Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik loved the barramundi, his fiancee the lamb and both warmly accepted Australia's official wedding gift.

Governor-General Michael Jeffery presented Prince Frederik and former Hobart lawyer Mary Donaldson with a plaque last night to go with the nine Tasmanian trees that Australia has given them for their wedding in Copenhagen on Friday.

Major-General Jeffery wished the couple a "long and fruitful marriage" as he and his wife, Marlena, made the presentation at a dinner at Fredensborg, 35 kilometres north of Copenhagen.

General Jeffery sat between Queen Margrethe and Ms Donaldson at the private dinner he hosted for 52 guests to honour the wedding and the new union the couple has forged between Australia and Denmark. Mrs Jeffery sat between Frederik and his father Prince Henrik.

After calling Prince Frederik and Ms Donaldson from their seats to make the presentation, the Governor-General suggested the plaque be put somewhere near the native trees, which are already standing in the gardens of Fredensborg Castle.
The guests dined on a five-course menu prepared by Sydney chef Luke Mangan, with all the ingredients and wine flown in from Australia on Thursday and Friday.

Prince Frederik said he loved the roasted Northern Territory barramundi and Ms Donaldson said she preferred the Gippsland lamb. Opinions were evenly spread on the head table, with the monarch favouring the sashimi kingfish from South Australia.

Australia's 1983 America's Cup-winning skipper John Bertrand sat next to Ms Donaldson, presumably so they could talk tactics for the yacht race against Prince Frederik on Copenhagen Harbour in which the future princess will crew for her fellow Australian. Tasmanian Governor Richard Butler also welcomed guests to the Fredensborg Storekro, including Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen who said the wedding would improve the close ties between the two countries. "It's a wonderful wedding," he said.

Security was tight around the Storekro, an exclusive restaurant and hotel just outside the gates of Fredensborg Castle, where Friday's wedding dinner will be held for 400 guests.

Police were dotted around the hotel and castle as hundreds of well-wishers crowded outside to cheer the couple who met in a pub during the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Food and wine wasn't the only Australian touch at the dinner, with Sydney's Tankstream Quartet providing the music as guests arrived.

- AAP

Originally posted by Dennism+May 9th, 2004 - 7:07 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dennism @ May 9th, 2004 - 7:07 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-montecarlo@May 9th, 2004 - 8:03 pm
Thanks for the pictures, Dennis!
You´re welcome. The more I read about Mary the more I like her. She will be my third favorite royal! [/b][/quote]
Dennis, who's your second favourite??? :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hahahaha!! The pictures of Joachim are the greatest!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He really likes that music!

Great pixs, Dennism! I always liked Mary but seeing her like she is in those pictures, Mary's my girl! She and Fred will do fine. I can't wait to see her gown. :p

Unfortuneately I missed the programme about Mary on Dr1 tonight...
was it good?
does anyone know if it will air again soon?

Thanks, mgrant. Jane Stephans is the one in the blue jacket and the tan pants.

Back
Top Bottom