The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Abdication & Proclamation 2014

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

So what can we expect for the event? A little bummed that it won't be anything like the Netherlands.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
So what can we expect for the event? A little bummed that it won't be anything like the Netherlands.
Probably very low-keyed...like Belgium's maybe.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Can someone explain better to me? There's the signing, Felipe needs to swear, proclamation ceremony, and more? I'm a bit confused here, I saw pictures of Queen Sofia wearing a pink dress & later a blue dress with mantilla.
Can someone explain to me what and how the ceremonies will be? Which ones? All in the same very day? If yes, that means a full pack day with schedules and changing clothes?
I'm so confused here, I need help
Three Acts, like in Luxembourg 2000, Amsterdam 2013 and Brussels 2013:

Act 1
The King, Don Juan Carlos I, signs the Act of Abdication

Act 2
The new King, Don Felipe VI, affirms to maintain the Constitution. The Cortes prolaims him King of Spain

Act 3
At a later date, festive ceremonies involving the Armed Forces (parade), the Church (a Te Deum), and the citizens (festivities, fireworks)

That will be the rough schedule.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you ANNIE_S for your explanation and also to Duc_et_Pair.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I´m watching the Spanish TV and they are saying that there will be no mass and no foreign dignataries.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Thanks Annie I didn't think there would be either.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Zarzuela has confirmed that there will be no foreign guests, or mass.

Probably King Juan Carlos will officially sign his abdication at the Royal Palace.

King Felipe will be proclaimed at the Congress of Deputies, probably after the act, in front of the Congress he will receive military honors. After they will go to the Royal Palace to hold a reception.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Commoner

It will be a big event. Is the ceremony Like the from netherland?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by feridekuru View Post
It will be a big event. Is the ceremony Like the from netherland?
Low Key & nothing like the Dutch Ceremony.

No Foreign Guests and no Religious Ceremony ,it will be a Proclamation Ceremony before the Spanish Cortes (Parliament) ,the extended Royal Family might be present if were lucky!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Nobility

Seems a shame there will be no Mass.

Perhaps its time the Kings dropped the title 'Most Catholic Majesties' ?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Low Key & nothing like the Dutch Ceremony.

No Foreign Guests and no Religious Ceremony ,it will be a Proclamation Ceremony before the Spanish Cortes (Parliament) ,the extended Royal Family might be present if were lucky!
Probably the family of the King will be present at the signing of the abdication in the Royal Palace. But the proclamation in the Congress of Deputies, the space will be very limited, and therefore the number of guests reduced.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do you think that Letizia's family will attend the ceremony?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Courtier

It is the same like the belgium
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Serene Highness

Hopefully we'll be able to follow over the internet!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Why do they refuse the Mass?If they are not Catholics anymore they should recognize it.

I hope the future Royal couple will attent anyway a Mass on the morning of that day.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Hopefully we'll be able to follow over the internet!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app
That´s one thing you can take for sure. Every Spanish TV channel will be broadcasting Live also on their web pages, I have any doubt about it

There is almost anything else on the media since last Monday, I´ve never seen such a coverage of the RF events. Not even on F&L wedding.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 06-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Why do they refuse the Mass?If they are not Catholics anymore they should recognize it.
According to the Spanish Constitution, Spain is a country officially not confessional. Religion is a personal matter, from the Head of State to any normal citizen. Therefore, the proclamation of the new Head of State does not include any formal religious event.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Do you think that Letizia's family will attend the ceremony?
I'm sure we will know more over the next few days.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Perhaps there wasn't enough time to organise a Mass and remember the expense of all the invited guests/security at a time when Spain cannot afford such ceremonies.

It seems practical enough just to have a Proclamation Ceremony under such economic circumstances.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
According to the Spanish Constitution, Spain is a country officially not confessional. Religion is a personal matter, from the Head of State to any normal citizen. Therefore, the proclamation of the new Head of State does not include any formal religious event.
And I think is quite right to do so. As private citizens they can have their religious ceremonies like weddings and Holy Communions or attend masses whenever they want to, but an institutional event like this one shouldn´t be accompanied by a mass, IMO of course.

The proclamation of KJC was during Franco´s dictatorship yet. Spain was a whole different country in many aspects, this being one of them, and we musn´t forget it.

Closed Thread

Tags
enthronement, inauguration, king felipe vi, musings, queen letizia, spain