King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there any special law or Act for abdication in Spain. What about king JC & queen Sofia's titles & future roles??

There will probably be an investiture ceremony at the Cortes for the new King Felipe VI, but not today.

I am watching the international channel of Spanish Television and they are saying the parliament must pass an organic law first for the abdication to have legal effect. That might take a few days.

Plus, the magazine points out that there will be a cabinet meeting on Tuesday because a new law is needed for the abdication and for making Felipe the new King.

Initially I was surprised that the abdication was announced by the Head of government. Found it a bit thoughtless. Really, the King himself should have been the first to inform the public. But then I read in another German newspaper about the necessity to introduce a new law in order to allow the abdication.

Maybe some Spanish member of the Forum could provide more insight into the legal proceedings? Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

is it possible that he is sick and will not be able to prefprm his duties in the future and therefor he abdicates?

In Spain there is no abdication law, the government must now make a law and determine how things are going to happen.

We currently do not know how it will be, how will be the process, what kind of ceremony or what the future role of the king and queen will be. Tomorrow the government meets, and we will know more.

is it possible that he is sick and will not be able to prefprm his duties in the future and therefor he abdicates?

He's abdicated because he realised how unpopular he is and Felipe and Letizia are needed.

It's certainly not a surprise, in fact I expected this one more than Beatrix.

It's interesting they announce today, 61 years since QEII was coronated, an odd coincidence :)

Well his health is certainly not the best and several newspapers already write that this is the main reason for his abdication.

So the rumours were true after all. Probably the best decision with all the problems surrounding the casa real. Long live the new King Felipe and his Queen Letizia!

Agree 100%´!!!!

I was surprised as welll... but I think, this is the best for the RF and a more modern and future oriented Spain!
Long live the new King and Queen!
BYe Bine

I understand this calls for a change of the Spanish Constitution.

Does anyone know how the procedure is for such a change and how soon can the chane be in place?
Are we talking years or months?

Wow, what a surprise! And a very wise decision!

I'm wondering what prince Charles of UK is thinking now.... Heirs are becoming monarchs and he's still a long-waiting heir.....

Link to Casareal.es has completely broken down :whistling:......
I am really interested to see, HOW the abdiction will be made in Spain now. I assume, this will be more like the "Morning Session" of the abdiction in the Netherlands or like in Belgium.
No big Party like the Investiture in the Netherlands, I fear - due to the continouing economic crisis

BYe Bine

It's interesting they announce today, 61 years since QEII was coronated

There is no such word as 'coronated' ! The correct word is 'crowned'...

Abdication will be official in a few days, once the Government and Parliament approval. The procalamación will probably be a simple ceremony in Parliament, more similar to the Belgian.

I'm in shock !!!

I can't say I'm shocked, I've been expecting this for a couple of years now. Juan Carlos' health has been very frail for a long time. I'm still crying my eyes out. I was a young girl when I watched him swear the Spanish Constitution. Few years later, Spaniards finally went to sleep after Tejero tried to bring down the very young democracy in Spain. He's certainly made mistakes.....but he's also done so much good for our country in all these years.

Farewell and well done. It was time to abdicate.

I can't say I'm shocked, I've been expecting this for a couple of years now. Juan Carlos' health has been very frail for a long time. I'm still crying my eyes out. I was a young girl when I watched him swear the Spanish Constitution. Few years later, Spaniards finally went to sleep after Tejero tried to bring down the very young democracy in Spain. He's certainly made mistakes.....but he's also done so much good for our country in all these years.

Farewell and well done. It was time to abdicate.

End of an era, certainly, and he came to the throne in remarkable circumstances.
We live in interesting times :flowers:

What a news!

Never ever I had thought of an abdication!

But: Long live King Felipe and Queen Letizia!

According to Euronews, King Juan Carlos will make an abdication speech at 12.30 Central European Time.

Last edited:
it´s a big surprise... and I am really sad that such a big figure of spanish transition to democracy will end like that.. abdication, how undignifiying...

This thread does not show up on the portal page!

Euronews says that King Juan Carlos will make an abdication speech at 12.30 CET and that he is abdicating for political reasons not health!

Last edited:
I´d really like to know, what title they will keept - remaining King and Queen - like in Belgium - or getting a title like former King or King Emeritus ....

I also would like to know, how many Engagements the (former) King and especially Queen Sofia will have after the abdication.
Bye Bine

It was about time, indeed.

I´m as shocked as everyone else. If there ever was a time I expected an abdication, that was long ago. But I think it is the smartest thing to do for King JC. Sure the current situation of the RF has much to do with this, but I think his health problems are playing a good part too.

Anyway, I wish him a happy retirement, and all the luck to Felipe and Letizia. They don´t have an easy time ahead, I´m afraid.

WOW though it is understantable that JC abdicates, but I was not expecting it at all...at least now.

But I wish him the best, and perhaps Spain need fresh, young new King and Queen.

Leonor is way to young, but well some prince/ss born already heir, and her father became Prince of Asturias quite early. I think when her father is made King, she will not automatically be Princess of Asturias I think, at least for Felipe it was like that, he was an Infante for a while before they made him Prince of Asturias after his father enthronement.

I am working on it, but I am really terrible with software. On the TRF page the only thread that shows up now is this one. If all fails I will need to contact the technical administrator to fix it.

Euronews says that King Juan Carlos will make an abdication speech at 12.30 CET and that he is abdicating for political reasons not health!

I wonder how Queen Sofía feels about the abdication given that she spoke openly against it in the past.

I am working on it, but I am really terrible with software. On the TRF page the only thread that shows up now is this one. If all fails I will need to contact the technical administrator to fix it.

Oh sorry Marengo, didn't mean to moan - thanks for all you are doing! :flowers:

King Juan Carlos to Abdicate?

I saw this trending on my FB feed this morning. CNN is reporting that King JC will be abdicating in favor of The Crown Prince. No reason is being given for the abdication, nor a date when it will become effective.

The Guardian has it, too.

Last edited:
He is not going to. He has already abdicated. Much luck to King Felipe and His beautiful Queen.

Back
Top Bottom