King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess they are taking for granted that Felipe and Letizia won't have any more children. What if Letizia, who is already 41, unexpectedly gets pregnant and gives birth to a baby boy ?

I know that scenario is very unlikely, but, formally speaking, I don't think a decision on Leonor's becoming Princess of Asturias should be made before the constitution is officially amended to eliminate male-preference primogeniture.
She won't officially be Princess of Asturias until age of majority which is quite a few years away. Plus the fact that Letizia had an awful time bearing and delivering children really doesn't vote well for her having any more, especially as she gets older.

So, are we looking at another event for foreign royals to gather to welcome a new King again?

I wonder if we will see Infanta Cristina and Don Inaki attending the installation of the new King
I can't see that happening, especially Inaki. Just too iffy at present. Cristina might have the brass to attend and in my heart, I think their children should attend as it is their uncle who is becoming King. Such a sad situation for that family. I'm sure that Sofia would love to see her grandchildren attend such an historical family event.

Probably in the next few days investigation of Noos case will be closed, and Iñaki and Cristina will be formally charged, awaiting trial. So I think it's impossible they will attend the event.

There will be no foreign guests.

In New York they got Sofia's reaction to the news

Doña Sofia en NY habla por vez primera spbre la abdicacion: "Mi hijo esta al tanto de todo, no va a haber ningun problema en el cambio"
Doña Sofia in NY speaks for the first time on firms abdication: "My son is in the know, there will be no problem in changing"

La Reina sobre la Princesa Letizia: "que siga igual que esta, encantadora, la quiero mucho"
The Queen of Princess Letizia "continue like this, lovely, love her"

https://twitter.com/desdemanhattan

I can't see that happening, especially Inaki. Just too iffy at present. Cristina might have the brass to attend and in my heart, I think their children should attend as it is their uncle who is becoming King. Such a sad situation for that family. I'm sure that Sofia would love to see her grandchildren attend such an historical family event.

Correct if I'm wrong, but, when Willem-Alexander was inaugurated (in a much more high profile ceremony than a Spanish proclamation), although all adult members of the Dutch royal family were in attendance, I don't recall Prince Constantijn's or Prince Friso's children being present. I also believe Philippe's nephews/nieces did not attend his inauguration as King of the Belgians.

Maybe the extended Spanish royal family won't attend the official swearing-in ceremony in the Cortes, but will be present at the inauguration mass, which I'm sure will also include invited guests from foreign royal families.

This is from Royal Musings

The Prince of Asturias will be proclaimed as King Felipe VI on June 16, according to a spokesman for the Spanish royal house.

The new royal family will consist of King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia, the Princess of the Asturias, Infanta Sofia, and King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia.

Felipe's two older sisters, Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, will cease to be members of the Royal Family, which means they will no longer carry out official engagements. The two sisters will not lose their royal titles or their dynastic rights, but they will be in the same position as King Juan Carlos' two sisters, Infanta Pilar and Infanta Margarita, who are members of the King's family.)

Juan Carlos's two sisters did lose their rights when they married, and their descendants do not have succession rights to the Spanish throne.

Infanta Cristina and her four children live in Switzerland. Infanta Elena and her two children live in Madrid. She has continued to carry out official engagements on behalf of the royal house, but her official work will cease when her brother becomes King.

The official swearing-in ceremony will take place some time in July. It will not be a coronation, but the crown will be on display during the installation, where the new King Felipe VI will agree to uphold the constitution.

El Rey abdica: Las infantas saldrán de la familia real cuando reine Felipe VI | Política | EL PAÍS

Im surprised about Elena

A smaller and effective Monarchy is best, IMO.

Probably there will be no mass. King Juan Carlos was proclaimed king with the laws of Franco, then Catholicism was the state religion. Now Spain is a secular country, there is no state religion, and the king has no legal obligation to be Catholic.

When Juan Carlos was proclaimed king, he was sworn by God, there was a crucifix and members of the Church in a central place. When the prince swore at 18 years the constitution, all disappeared.

The event will be in the Congress, which must accommodate the deputies and senators. This is done only at the opening of Legislatures and space is very limited. So they will invite only the indispensable.

Last edited:
i dont know if this a reliable newspaper but
The mayors of Cervera, Balaguer (Lleida), Montblanc (Tarragona) and Girona have shown their rejection of the Infanta Leonor inherit noble titles of his father when Felipe becomes King.

Los alcaldes de Cervera, Balaguer, Montblanc y Gerona rechazan que Leonor herede los t?tulos - Libertad Digital

Are noble titles different from royal titles?

The titles are of the Crown, so they can not prevent Infanta Leonor to inherit them. They may not admit it, but has no value, it is just a propaganda element of the political independence groups of Catalonia.

"The Infantas will leave the Royal House when Philip VI Reigns." El Rey abdica: Las infantas saldrán de la familia real cuando reine Felipe VI | Política | EL PAÍS

"Don Juan Carlos will lose his immunity when he ceases to be King"
Don Juan Carlos perder? su inviolabilidad cuando deje de ser Rey | Espa?a | EL MUNDO

Just want to clarify, though, about Infanta Leonor. Several sources confirm that she will inherit her father's titles - Princesa de Asturias, Girona y Viana.

However, when she reaches the age of majority, she will swear allegiance to the Crown and the Spanish Constitution, as her father did.
La infanta Leonor será la Princesa de Asturias tras la abdicación del Rey Juan Carlos y la coronación del príncipe Felipe - ANTENA 3 TV

Leonor, la Princesa de Asturias del siglo XXI

And here, as well - Tras la coronación de su padre, Felipe de Borbón, la infanta Leonor será la nueva Princesa de Asturias.

i dont know if this a reliable newspaper but
The mayors of Cervera, Balaguer (Lleida), Montblanc (Tarragona) and Girona have shown their rejection of the Infanta Leonor inherit noble titles of his father when Felipe becomes King.

Los alcaldes de Cervera, Balaguer, Montblanc y Gerona rechazan que Leonor herede los t?tulos - Libertad Digital

Are noble titles different from royal titles?

It are ancient titles of the historical dynasty and are no noble title in the sense that these are ad personam for life and eventually hereditary. These titles are connected with the position of the Heir.

Compare it with the title Prince of Orange. That principality was occupied by Louis XIV in 1672. After some re-takes by the Nassaus, the principality was finally, de facto and de jure given up by the Treaty of Utrecht 1713. The King of Prussia and the head of the Orange-Nassau dynasty kept the right to use "Prince of Orange" as a dynastic title. This situation exists until the day of today.

So those majors, suddenly talking about titles they have not even realized before, are just grabbing the opportunity to score some home-goals in the separatist Catalonia.

:previous:Thank you Duc_et_Pair, casualfan, and lula, for the responses to my title question and Leonor:flowers:

Its good to hear that she will inherit those titles too. I thought it might be something like the British title "Duke of York" that only gets passed down to sons.

It was only yesterday that JC and Sofia were marrying in 1962 in Athens where all the houses of Gotha were present.They have been an ideal couple with no scandals and have served with intelligence and .I will miss them.

It was only yesterday that JC and Sofia were marrying in 1962 in Athens where all the houses of Gotha were present.They have been an ideal couple with no scandals and have served with intelligence and .I will miss them.

Ideal couple? Is all I've heard about their failed marriage just rumours?

Ideal couple? Is all I've heard about their failed marriage just rumours?

Well I'll say that some royalists were likely pleased to see the daughter of a reigning king marrying the heir-to-the-throne of Spain.

Also the couple has prepared their son very well IMHO and each has served the nation for decades. I believe that they can be proud of this.

Won't comment upon their happiness as a couple. ;)

Felipe became the Prince of Asturias when he was only 11 years old in 1977, I don't know how will they do it in the case of Leonor but it is my understanding the moment an apparent move up in the line of succession the next of kin will do exactly the same and fill out the "open position" the previous royal left vacant, in Spain the next of kin of a King is called Prince of Asturias so it's very precise, regardless of wishes, if and buts, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
That facebook page is not official

Sorry lula, regarding the ceremonies, I don't seem to get it.

So on 18th Felipe will be declared King in the Cortes, and there will be the sworn-in ceremony.
But the sworn-in ceremony has not yet been confirmed for June 18th, correct, and it is possible that it will be on a different day?

Has either day already been confirmed by casareal?

Thanks.

Duke, there really is so much information and sometimes so confusing that it is difficult to understand how the process is going to be exactly. So it is better to stick to official sources, giving clear information.

It seems that everything has to be done on the same day ... final passage of the law, officially signed by King Juan Carlos and proclamation of the new king.

The President of Parliament has proposed that the date is June 18. But the Royal House has not yet officially confirmed that date.

:previous: Thanks lula for clarifying, there is indeed contradicting information in the media on this topic.

Felipe became the Prince of Asturias when he was only 11 years old in 1977, I don't know how will they do it in the case of Leonor but it is my understanding the moment an apparent move up in the line of succession the next of kin will do exactly the same and fill out the "open position" the previous royal left vacant, in Spain the next of kin of a King is called Prince of Asturias so it's very precise, regardless of wishes, if and buts, but I may be wrong.
I think that you´re right, or at least that´s what the media is reporting these days.
From the moment Felipe is declared king, Leonor will be inmediately Princess of Asturias.
That doesn´t mean we won´t have an official ceremony of proclamation as Princess such as Felipe had in Covadonga (that has not been confirmed in any moment), but then that would be a mere formalism. She would already be Princess.

Leonore will be the youngest of the crown princesses and princes

4 crown princess

Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland (Sweden) age 36
Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant (Belgium) age 12
Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange (Netherlands) age 10
Infanta Leonor of Spain, princess of Asturias (Spain) age 8

I think that you´re right, or at least that´s what the media is reporting these days.
From the moment Felipe is declared king, Leonor will be inmediately Princess of Asturias.
That doesn´t mean we won´t have an official ceremony of proclamation as Princess such as Felipe had in Covadonga (that has not been confirmed in any moment), but then that would be a mere formalism. She would already be Princess.

Does it make a difference that Leonor will not become heiress apparent but heiress presumptive?

I think it will not make a diference from Heiress apparent to Heiress presumptive. They have the same rights, only that the presumptive could be a "temporary" position if no son is born.

I think it will not make a diference from Heiress apparent to Heiress presumptive. They have the same rights, only that the presumptive could be a "temporary" position if no son is born.

I meant it in terms of timing, when the title PoA will be granted, straight away or later.

I think this time it will be given right away, at least is what some reports say. Prince Felipe had the title PoA two years later after his father was made King, but this time I think it will be automatic.

Does it make a difference that Leonor will not become heiress apparent but heiress presumptive?
It doesn´t. There have been other cases, as noted before: Princess Isabella (Alfonso XII´s older sister) was Princess of Asturias and she lost the title when her brother was born. Same with AXII´s eldest daughter, Maria de las Mercedes, until Alfonso XIII was born.

AFAIK, a Prince(ss) of Asturias is always necessary, as long as an heir is always necessary, but the title´s holder can change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom