King Juan Carlos Announces Abdication: June 2, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
President Mariano Rajoy is now announcing it during and official press conference

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27662301

_51606573_fa1d16c0-9c6c-4f82-b0b8-ab66ddd94f78.jpg

King Juan Carlos of Spain to abdicate, the prime minister announces

Last edited:
Has it been announced when the turnover will happen?

Just heard on the radio, what an unexpected news. God bless the King!

No, that information might come later today or later this week.

So, its official. I didn't believe it when i saw the breaking news tweet on my phone.
Best of luck to the new King & queen.

Long live King Felipe vi and Queen Letizia !

Last edited:
I wonder what went on behind the scenes. The old man will surely have protected himself. This will be hard on everybody, we'll see how active for example Sofia will stay. Juan Carlos will probably become some kind of Elder Statesman, still using his connections. There will be a lot of pressure on the Asturias family now, Leonor becoming Princess of Asturias at the age of 9.

CNN breaking news
@cnnbrk: Spain's King Juan Carlos will be stepping down, prime minister said. The monarch's 46-year-old son will take over.

how long will the process take?

we are 72 looking at this thread i think during the day more will take part in this news update.

what is known at this time. when will ut happen?
will there be a cermony

I wonder what went on behind the scenes. The old man will surely have protected himself.

My sense is there was probably more bad news that was coming, and the abdication was the price JC had to pay to prevent it from being revealed. As to whether he has done enough to protect himself, who knows!

This will be hard on everybody, we'll see how active for example Sofia will stay.

I think they will do well to continue to use Sofia who remains popular. She can help bridge the transition between the generations, and help establish the new King and Queen.

Juan Carlos will probably become some kind of Elder Statesman, still using his connections.

I somehow doubt an elder statesman type role would be available for JC. A bit like Albert of Belgium, I think JC will disappear from public view, and will spend the rest of his years in the sun.

Incredible.... I remember a lot of discussions on this forum that he will never abdicates because he had to wait so long for the throne, ect. And yet...
So.... Long live king Felipe and queen Letizia!

what is known at this time. when will ut happen?
will there be a cermony

There will probably be an investiture ceremony at the Cortes for the new King Felipe VI, but not today.

Don't forget that his health is not the best. German political magazine Spiegel says that his health problems are one reasons for the abdication. (Juan Carlos: Spanischer König dankt ab - SPIEGEL ONLINE)
Plus, the magazine points out that there will be a cabinet meeting on Tuesday because a new law is needed for the abdication and for making Felipe the new King.

So the rumours were true after all. Probably the best decision with all the problems surrounding the casa real. Long live the new King Felipe and his Queen Letizia!

I can't believe it - I am shocked to hear the news, but somehow it makes sense for him to abdicate. First it was Queen Beatrix, then King Albert and now King Juan Carlos...makes you wonder who will be next!
Nonetheless, it is thrilling to imagine there will be a new king Felipe and Queen Letizia and I do hope this will give a boost to the people of Spain.

It has really been a surprise, few expected this now.

There is little data about what will happen now, today and tomorrow they will explain how they will do things.

Tomorrow the King and Prince have a military act together in El Escorial.

I didn't think this would come so soon but I must say I think this is for the better. He has been looking quite unwell and weak in the past few years.

Was there any notice or rumors that it would be so soon? When will Felipe be sworn in?

President Mariano Rajoy is now announcing it during and official press conference

the King should have announced the abdication himself first in an address to the nation before the prime minister spoke. That is what happened for example in the Netherlands when Queen Beatrix stepped down.

I can't say it was a surprise,There was a lot of pressure for JUan Carlos to abdicate as popular support for the Spanish Royal Family hit record lows. I wonder though how "voluntary" the abdication was.

Will Juan Carlos keep the style of King as Albert of Belgium ? Does Spanish law says anything about titles for former monarchs upon abdication ?

Back
Top Bottom