Princess Alexandra, News and Picture Thread 2: February 2005 - February 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... and the XIX part of my picture series!:eek:

XIX The Grand Ducal family visiting the fortress of my beautiful capital on 17.7.1999

The following text about the fortress is from this link:
http://www.wordtravels.com/Attractions/Countries/Luxembourg/Attractions/The+Fortress/
The Fortress

The mighty fortress started by Count Siegfried atop the Rock of Bock in 963 eventually became a citadel with three girdles of battlements, the inner one fortified with bastions, and the other two containing a total of 24 forts along their length. As the centuries passed the stone cliff foundations underneath the castle were excavated to form a network of 14 miles (23km) of underground tunnels, called casemates, where thousands of soldiers could shelter and workshops for artillery and arms, kitchens, bakeries and slaughter-houses could be housed. The fortress saw many sieges and battles, until 1867 when the Treaty of London declared that it be demolished. Despite this, several sections of the fortress still remain, and the subterranean casements are open for viewing. Visitors can also enjoy a sound and light tour on the history of the castle. The best way to view the remaining parts of the fortifications is on foot, strolling through the cobbled streets of the old town, armed with a map from the tourist office (on the Place d’Armes).

1. Alexandra near a tree
2.and 3. the whole Grand Ducal family of 1999 walking on a hill with the beautiful valley in the back ground
4. a typical market picture showing how imple a Grand Duchess can be:)
5.to 7. on the fortress
8. Grand Duke Henri on the market
9. the family walking in the town with the palace in the background (certainly they know who the owner is:D )

Attachments

• 17.02.1999 2.jpg
    17.02.1999 2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 514
  • 17.02.1999 3.jpg
    17.02.1999 3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 602
  • 17.02.1999 4.jpg
    17.02.1999 4.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 569
  • 17.02.1999.jpg
    17.02.1999.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 732
  • 17.7.1999 1.jpg
    17.7.1999 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 681
  • 17.7.1999 2.jpg
    17.7.1999 2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 417
  • 17.7.1999 3.jpg
    17.7.1999 3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 581
  • 17.7.1999 4.jpg
    17.7.1999 4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 509
  • 17.7.1999 5.jpg
    17.7.1999 5.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 624
Thank you drimal for the photos and the history of the fortress. The area looks so beautiful. :)

thanks for the wonderful pics, drimal. i especially love the one in which sebastien is playing with guillaume's hair and the one in which felix has his arms around sebastien. i think it's a wonderful thing to show how open and warm they are in public.

Yes....last thread, I saw a couple of pictures of Alex and Guillaume that really showed how they like each other.....It´s a very united family...

Guess what?! It's Princess Alexandra's birthday tomorrow (Feb 16)! Happy Birthday!!!! :D :cake and flowers:

Last edited:
Yesterday the 24th anniversary of Henri and Maria Teresa (nice date to marry on Valentin's Day!:) ) and tomorrow Princess Alexandra 14th anniversary.:)

Two good reasons to congratulate. I guess that they will certainly celebrate Alexandra's birthday in the close family although they are still in grief!;)

In German there is a beautiful proverb: Nach Regen kommt wieder Sonnenschein. (After the rain the sun will shine again).

This picture was posted at the Benelux Royals Message Board in celebration of Alexandra's birthday.

She looks like an angelic doll here!

Attachments

• henriluxembourg1955-19.jpg
    henriluxembourg1955-19.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 849
XX Princess Alexandra giving her name to a solar ship in 2002

In summer 2002 Princess Alexandra gave her name to a solar ship. It is a tradition that members of the Grand Ducal family are giving their names to ships or plane. (Best example is Princess Marie Astrid who baptized 5 ships with her name in her whole life.)

Attachments

• alexandra solarboot1.JPG
    alexandra solarboot1.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 727
  • alexandra solarboot2.JPG
    alexandra solarboot2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 790
That's so cool!!! :D Does Maria Teresa have any ships named after her? Just a thought, are ships generally named after women only?

golly...how funky is that...only 11 and already has a ship named after her *sighs* when will it be my turn? ^___^ Does she have anything else named after her?

drimal posted a story, a couple of months(weeks?) ago, i think, about her having a school named after her in luxembourg...kewl, huh.

KatieLouise said:
That's so cool!!! :D Does Maria Teresa have any ships named after her? Just a thought, are ships generally named after women only?

Yes ships are always named after women because they are considered as female (especially in English). Princess Marie Astrid, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mary...

Here is a link to a young researcher who explains why ships are "she":
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/18/messages/78.html

Planes are generally named after men; in Luxembourg, the Fokker F27 (1) was baptised on 7th May 1962 on the name "Prince Henri", the Fokker F27 (2) on the name "Prince Jean" on 9th April 1965, in September 1967 the Fokker F27 83) on the name "Princesse Margaretha" (an exception;) ), the Fokker 50 (1) and (2) on 12th December 1989 on the names "Prince Guillaume" and "Prince Félix", and the Fokker 50 (3) on 28th June 1990 on the name "Prince Louis".

PS: No ship is named after Maria Teresa and the reason is the following; only children of the Grand Ducal family have the right to give their name to ships and planes.;)

i certainly wouldn't mind having a ship named after me. too bad, this comes only with being the child of a grand duke, rather than the spouse.

i'm sure mt was and/or is happy for her children and her other family members. she doesn't seem the type to be too ambitious, especially when it comes to having a ship or plane named after herself.

I love mt i dont even know her but you can tell how much she loves her children

I don't think this photo has been posted.

Alexandra shopping with M-T at a benfit in benfit last year.

Will Alexandra wear her first wear tiara when she's 18 or 21?

Attachments

• alex1.jpg
    alex1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,047
I'm going for 16....but then again isn't Princess Beatrice 16 and still hasn't worn a tiara? so maybe 18...Alexandra is wearing her glasses alot more now i've noticed ^___^

You can't really compare Alexandra to Beatrice. One is the grand daughter of the sovereign and will hardly be in the public spotlight, while the other is the daughter of the sovereign and will probably have very little choice as to whether or not she will be in the spotlight.

So look for Alexandra to be wearing many tiaras in the coming years.
:)

hillary_nugent said:
I'm going for 16....but then again isn't Princess Beatrice 16 and still hasn't worn a tiara? so maybe 18...Alexandra is wearing her glasses alot more now i've noticed ^___^

But was she wearing them for the birthday party?

*shrugs, i don't know. perhaps there was a b'day ball or something, and she could've worn one. if that is the case, there were no pics published, or i haven't heard nor seen any pics of it. i would like to see alexandra in a tiara. btw, i think she looks nice in her glasses; they add an air of maturity to her. *wipes away tears, our little alex is growing up...hehe.

Yes, she's growing up so fast *takes tissue from msfroyste to wipe nose and eyes* :( Seriously though, I can't wait to see which tiaras she wears. Just a stupid question, do princesses get presented as debutants?

some do, some don't. i guess it depends on the girl and/or her family and what she and/or they want to do.

märtha Louise, victoria and madeleine was 18 when they first wore a tiara

i think the same goes for cristina elena and Astrid

do you think she will have a debutante ball or something? perhaps she'll wear a tiara for the first time then...i wonder what tiara she would wear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom