The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:19 PM
Aristocracy

Well, I would like to congratulate the couple on their wedding and I hope that they have a lot of fun with each other in there new life together.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Prince Louis is not only a prince of Luxembourg but helds the title of a prince of Bourbon-Parma as well due to his inheritance through the male line from prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma, the husband of grand duchess Charlotte and great-grandfather of Louis.

On marrying Tessy Louis lost his place in the succession but kept his titles and style. What about the Bourbon-Parma-name? Okay, Gabriel was born out of wedlock, thus he can't be called a prince de Bourbon-Parma but what about the next children of Louis and Tessy? They will be legitimate and thus have a right to be called prince or princess of Bourbon-Parma. Even Tessy probably can use this name (it's a name only I think when seen independently from the Luxembourg-titles as the house of Bourbon-Parma itself is not longer a reigning house). Or is there a reason why this is not so?

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Didn't Grand Duke Jean renounce the Bourbon-Parma titles for him and his descendants in the 80-ties? According to some out of anger with Duke Carlos-Hugo who considered the marriage of Henri to Maria-Teresa morganatic. He kept the HRH though.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Didn't Grand Duke Jean renounce the Bourbon-Parma titles for him and his descendants in the 80-ties? According to some out of anger with Duke Carlos-Hugo who considered the marriage of Henri to Maria-Teresa morganatic. He kept the HRH though.
Hm, strage, I thought he took the title on out of this reason. I'll try to check sources...

Here it says:http://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/nassau.htm:

" Prince Guillaume (b. Nov 11, 1981) received the title of Hereditary Grand-Duke of Luxemburg, Hereditary Prince of Nassau, Prince of Bourbon-Parma on Dec 18, 2000."

Is www.heraldica.org reliable?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Louis's first son Gabriel:
http://luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl/l...e_gabriel.html
such a lovely photo!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Nobility

As i knew nothing for Tessy i've searched for her at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessy_Anthony
where it says that after her marriage she was named Madame Tessy de Nassau.It says that she will only hold their name and no title.Why is that?Sorry for the silly question but i'm searching and i can't find the answer..
Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrice
As i knew nothing for Tessy i've searched for her at wikipedia
Tessy de Nassau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
where it says that after her marriage she was named Madame Tessy de Nassau.It says that she will only hold their name and no title.Why is that?Sorry for the silly question but i'm searching and i can't find the answer..
Well, Prince Louis gave up his right to the throne to marry her [probably because of the circumstance's of Gabriel's birth]...no one has said why, exactly, she's not getting a title, but I imagine she probably doesn't want one anyway. And since Louis is not in the line of succession anymore, it's not like she needs one.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Nobility

On the wikipedia site it says that louis is in switzerland studying. What university is it because i thought he might want to go to the university og geneva like his parents?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha
Well, Prince Louis gave up his right to the throne to marry her [probably because of the circumstance's of Gabriel's birth]...no one has said why, exactly, she's not getting a title, but I imagine she probably doesn't want one anyway. And since Louis is not in the line of succession anymore, it's not like she needs one.
Can Grand Dukes Mom and Dad give them at least a title for the child to inherit later on? I'm not clear if the Grand Duke of Luxembourg grants titles or coats of arms like his fellow sovereigns, can he?

I bought this week the new Point of Vue and it has the pictures of the wedding. They are very young but they look so happy together. My favorite picture is the Grand Duchess holding their baby.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
Can Grand Dukes Mom and Dad give them at least a title for the child to inherit later on? I'm not clear if the Grand Duke of Luxembourg grants titles or coats of arms like his fellow sovereigns, can he?
I believe he can grant titles, if he wants to...he raised the titles of the children of Prince Jean from Count/ess of Nassau to Prince/ss of Nassau, and I imagine that he could give Tessy and Gabriel countly titles as well.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Prince Louis is not only a prince of Luxembourg but helds the title of a prince of Bourbon-Parma as well due to his inheritance through the male line from prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma, the husband of grand duchess Charlotte and great-grandfather of Louis.

On marrying Tessy Louis lost his place in the succession but kept his titles and style. What about the Bourbon-Parma-name? Okay, Gabriel was born out of wedlock, thus he can't be called a prince de Bourbon-Parma but what about the next children of Louis and Tessy? They will be legitimate and thus have a right to be called prince or princess of Bourbon-Parma. Even Tessy probably can use this name (it's a name only I think when seen independently from the Luxembourg-titles as the house of Bourbon-Parma itself is not longer a reigning house). Or is there a reason why this is not so?
I have a question, maybe it's silly, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If any other children born to Louis and Tessy have the right to bear the title Prince or Princess, why doesn't Gabriel? I know he was born out of wed-lock, but his parents are now married...doesn't that mean he can use that title too? Well, if his parents are given that title in the future, since Louis gave it up.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD

If any other children born to Louis and Tessy have the right to bear the title Prince or Princess, why doesn't Gabriel? I know he was born out of wed-lock, but his parents are now married...doesn't that mean he can use that title too? Well, if his parents are given that title in the future, since Louis gave it up.
IIRC, the family renounced the title of Bourbon-Parma awhile ago, so that's not a valid title for them anyway.
And Louis renounced the right to the throne for himself AND his descendants, which includes any future children he may have with Tessy. So that would probably be the reason that none of his children will have titles [unless the Grand Duke decides to elevate their rank as he did with his niece and nephews and cousins].

I guess what I'm trying to say is that any children born in the future to Louis and Tessy will not hold a title either.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Royal Highness

So Tessy would be the one being titleless because she had the child before getting married...but Louis still is a prince? Tessy won't get a name like Princess Louis of Luxembourg name just like Princess Michael of Kent?
Kind of difficult title situation for her and their kid(s).
Old 10-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
So Tessy would be the one being titleless because she had the child before getting married...but Louis still is a prince? Tessy won't get a name like Princess Louis of Luxembourg name just like Princess Michael of Kent?
Kind of difficult title situation for her and their kid(s).
Well...following precedent here, we can look to Prince Jean [the current Grand Duke's younger brother] who found himself in a similar situation when he married his now ex-wfie Helene Vestur. He retained the title of Prince Jean of Luxembourg, but dropped his claim to the throne for himself and his children. Helene became known as Helene Nassau, and when their children were born they were known as Marie-Gabrielle Nassau, Carl-Johan Nassau, Wenceslaus Nassau, and Constantin Nassau. Much later, after Jean and Helene had been married for about 8 years, Grand Duke Jean gave the title of "Count/ess of Nassau" to Helene and the children. And in 2004, Grand Duke Henri elevated all of them to "Prince/ss of Nassau"- which is the official title of any child of a prince of Luxembourg [like Prince Guillaume- his children are Prince Paul-Louis, Prince Leopold, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Jean of Nassau, since only the children of a Grand Duke or Hereditary Grand Duke bear the title "Prince/ss of Luxembourg"]. I am still not sure why all of a sudden they were raised in rank, but oh well.

My long-winded point is really that Helene never used the title "Princess Jean of Luxembourg"- it seems that this is not an appropriate title in the Grand Ducal family. So I don't think Tessy would call herself Princess Louis of Luxembourg. [Theoretically she could call herself whatever she wants, you know, like "The Great Imperial Majesty Tessy of the Planet Beeblebrox" but legally she will always be known as Madame Tessy de Nassau.]

Perhaps in the near future we will see a title conferred upon Tessy and Gabriel, but I doubt it. IMO they probably didn't want a title anyway- they seem to be a quiet family who would like to live privately.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:08 AM
Serene Highness

Maybe Duke Henri wants to make sure if Luis and Tessy marriage will last. If so, after a while he would follow the same procedure as with Prince Jean. Tessy will become countess and then a princess, the same with the children, including little Gabriel, first count, then prince.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 10-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi
Maybe Duke Henri wants to make sure if Luis and Tessy marriage will last. If so, after a while he would follow the same procedure as with Prince Jean. Tessy will become countess and then a princess, the same with the children, including little Gabriel, first count, then prince.
I hope so!
I noticed, relationships in grand ducal family are very complicated. The whole thing about wedding (they didn't want marriage, then they disagreed with marriage and after few months- voila we will marry soon!)
So we will see
Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelD

It depends on the law of the country the parents are citizens of. Eg in Britain the status at the moment of the birth counts. If the parents are not married, the son of an aristocrat may not inherit, even if his parents marry sometime after the birth. It's the next son who will be heir instead. In Monaco, if prince Albert decided to marry the mother of an illegitimate child, this child will become legitimate and thus is heir the moment the marriage is valid.

So - different countries, different laws. I don't know about Luxembourg, but I guess that the renouncement of prince Louis points to a law that does not allow for children born out of wedlock to inherit - even if the parents get married later on.

But does it really matter for Louis and his family? I see that on a forum like this most members could either imagine to become a prince/princess through marriage or are from a family or have a level of education to make such a step at least manageable. But what do we know about Tessy?

Maybe she just loves Louis whom she met not in a "Royal" surrounding but in an army camp in the Kosovo. Maybe Tessy is happy to be together with Louis and their child. Maybe she is glad that his family is able to supply enough money for them to raise the child. Maybe she is just plain happy to be "Madame de Nassau" with a prince who has decided to be rather her husband than HRH. Not for every girl a prince is what she wishes for. Maybe she had hoped for another kind of guy and now her prince is trying to please her. Then why shouldn't they be just M. et Mme de Nassau in Geneva?

That said I wish them happy. If I'm right, may they live a comfortable, peaceful and private life wherever they enjoy living.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness

Of course it is not so important if Tessy or little Gabriel would have title or not, the most important is that the young family will be happy. But it is royal forum so we like debate and speculations about aristocratic titles.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 10-20-2006, 01:36 PM
Nobility

hey... I really think that I´m lost… but… somebody knows where were of Honeymoon Louis and Tessy?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Courtier

http://www.revue.lu/coverstory.php?id=626