The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Commoner

it's really nice to see ALL of the family together!!! Can't wait until the next family event! All of the children have grown to be such beautiful people.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Nobility

Thanks for the pics! :)

Princess Alexandra has visibly grown up! :p

Old 05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I think it has something to do with the fact that their religion is catholicism. Unlike the other reigning monarchs who have different religions.
Just to add to my point those are the only ones who can wear white. For example the Catholic Princesses of Monaco and Liechtenstein (sp?) do not wear white even though they are traditionally Catholic heads of state or married to. When Princess Maxima becomes Queen although she is Catholic she would also not be allowed to wear white, neither would a Catholic head of state (president or wife of) from another country to be allowed to. I think there are some older pictures wear Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg isn wearing white, and I also the Princess Madeline of Sweden might have as well when they were younger girls. The rule also only applys to the Vatican. Queen Rania wore white when visiting the Pope at his summer home, and Queen Margarthe wore blue durning a visit by the pope to Denmark.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would just like to clarify a point about wearing white; only wives of Catholic monarchs can. Not heads of state. Monarchs. Everyone else should wear black and a veil or mantilla. I made some complaints about Cherie Blair, wife of Tony, and she wore white to meet the pope. She wasn't allowed to do this because she isn't the wife of a monarch. Apparently a lot of people are now not observing the appropriate attire for meeting the Pope, so maybe the rules will die out soon. It's a bit of a shame really.

Thanks for the photos. They're so lucky to have met the Pope. I wonder what they talked about. I don't know if it has been posted, but how long was the audience?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Serene Highness

I was reading the most current issue of Vanidades magazine in where they had a special interview with GD Maria Theresa. She stated that her dream was to take her husband and children to Cuba.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Nobility

She did take Felix and Louis there a few years back but I can see why she'd want to take the entire family there and share more of her kids' other culture.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I would just like to clarify a point about wearing white; only wives of Catholic monarchs can. Not heads of state. Monarchs. Everyone else should wear black and a veil or mantilla. I made some complaints about Cherie Blair, wife of Tony, and she wore white to meet the pope. She wasn't allowed to do this because she isn't the wife of a monarch. Apparently a lot of people are now not observing the appropriate attire for meeting the Pope, so maybe the rules will die out soon. It's a bit of a shame really
This was mentioned in my first couple of posts but for some reason I find this one of the most facinating royal traditions so I just want to offer a small clarification. The rule doesn't apply to the wives of Catholic monarchs but to a specfic group of them, the Queens of Belgium and Spain and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg. The rule also applies to Archduchesses of Austria and Princesses of Savoy. The wives of the Catholic monarchs of Monaco and Liechtenstien are not allowed to, neither would a Catholic wife of another monarch (Princess Maxima when she becomes Queen would not be allowed to even though she is Catholic herself and the wife of a monarch)

The rule only seems to be strictly enforced when on an offical state visit to the Vatican, which is likley why Cherie Blair wore white (although I agree she wasn't suppose to) because that wouldn't be condsidered a state visit. Queen Rania and The Empress of Japan also have worn white but they were on a non-state visit to the Pope summer home (State vists only happen in the Vatican)
Old 05-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
(State vists only happen in the Vatican)
Oh it was a state visit? Sorry, I asked above what the occassion was. Took me a while to catch on :o
Old 05-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the pictures everybody!!! Princess Alexandra has grown up so much and she looks so pretty. Her outfit seemed appropriate for the occasion and her age. Plus, I liked her shoes. It's nice to see the whole family together. Seems that Alexandra is blending the white and black rule with the Pope. White as a bottom layer with black lace. Is she wearing a black mantilla? And what purpose does the mantilla hold or is it just a courtesy thing? (sorry for my ignorance on the subject)
Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 AM
Courtier

I don't think this was a state visit, I think it was either an official or private visit (really I don't know the difference but I think a state visit is longer and the Grand Duchess would have been wearing a tiara).

As for the veil that Princess Alexandra is wearing. (I don't think it is a matillia but someone can confirm that). It would be an old tradition/sign of respect. In the past women always covered there hair when going to a Catholic Church. I remember hearing stories from my teachers when they were students they would have to bobby pin a paper towel to there head if they forgot there veil on a mass day at school
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
Is she wearing a black mantilla? And what purpose does the mantilla hold or is it just a courtesy thing? (sorry for my ignorance on the subject)
I think she was just wearing a black lace veil.

In a Catholic church, your head and arms should be covered at all times as a sign of respect. A lot of cathedrals in Europe will turn away tourists if they aren't wearing at least something to cover their arms.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy

Check out this conversation: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tml#post434155
So far, Jack Wagner has been suggested to play Henri and Mia Maestro the young MT. By and by, contribute.

-L
Old 05-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Serene Highness

Would they ever do a movie about the ducal couple?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Nobility

This morning I had a rather unusual experience.

I was awaiting my bus at Luxembourg city at the bus station at half nine and all of a sudden a police motor bike drive past with speed and a flashing blue light and it was followed by at least six more motorbikes! I was surprised and expected a cycling race because these white motorbikes are accompanying cycling races but then I saw a black Daimler with the royal flag driving past followed by a dark Audi.

In the back seats of the Daimler I recognized the Grand Duke who was obviously going to an official meeting. :)
Old 05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Serene Highness

Wow! For moment like this I should live in Luxembourg!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

It's nice to see thewhole family together.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by drimal
This morning I had a rather unusual experience.

I was awaiting my bus at Luxembourg city at the bus station at half nine and all of a sudden a police motor bike drive past with speed and a flashing blue light and it was followed by at least six more motorbikes! I was surprised and expected a cycling race because these white motorbikes are accompanying cycling races but then I saw a black Daimler with the royal flag driving past followed by a dark Audi.

In the back seats of the Daimler I recognized the Grand Duke who was obviously going to an official meeting. :)
woowww.. lucky you.. was it the first time you saw the royals personally??.. I don't know how is it in luxembourg.. but I remember seeing pictures of princess mary taking her dog for a walk in copenaghen (sp?) .. just like anybody else...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
Hullo!

The Royal family met the Pope yesterday - there is an article about it in Wort. Also, a few pictures were released by GEtty Images. Alexandra has sure grown! Louis was also there, but for some reason is just cut out of the first picture.

-L
It's interesting that so soon after Gabriel's birth Louis is off to visit the Pope. I wonder if Pope Benedict had any words with Louis about pre-marital or out of wedlock sex. I know that Louis is part of the family but considering that Louis violated or at least disregarded such a major belief of the Catholic church it seems indifferent that he would visit the Pope at the Vatican.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve
It's interesting that so soon after Gabriel's birth Louis is off to visit the Pope. I wonder if Pope Benedict had any words with Louis about pre-marital or out of wedlock sex. I know that Louis is part of the family but considering that Louis violated or at least disregarded such a major belief of the Catholic church it seems indifferent that he would visit the Pope at the Vatican.
Are you serious?

Do you think that Louis is the only royal (or any other person) that have visited the Pope that has had pre-marital sex? Do you think his older brothers are virgins? What about Leti and the others that visited the Pope (or not visited the Pope) before their marriages, do you think they were virgins and thus need a lecture from the Pope or should have stayed at home?

The child is one sure indication that Louis has had pre-marital sex. I hope you are are not assuming that those singles who haven't had an out-of-wedlock child, haven't had pre-marital sex. In the Catholic belief, the sin is the pre-marital sex, not the child. The child is a result of irresponsible (or no birth control). Plus, contraceptives are sinful also according to the Vatican.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAdia
Are you serious?

Do you think that Louis is the only royal (or any other person) that have visited the Pope that has had pre-marital sex? Do you think his older brothers are virgins?
I never said that I thought everyone else who has visited the Pope was a virgin. I never mentioned anyone else in fact.

Quote:
What about Leti and the others that visited the Pope (or not visited the Pope) before their marriages, do you think they were virgins and thus need a lecture from the Pope or should have stayed at home?
By Leti I presume you mean Princess Letizia of Spain. Letizia was married before Felipe so any sex she might have had would have been with her husband so that certainly isn't the same as what Louis and Tessy did.

Quote:
The child is one sure indication that Louis has had pre-marital sex. I hope you are are not assuming that those singles who haven't had an out-of-wedlock child, haven't had pre-marital sex. In the Catholic belief, the sin is the pre-marital sex, not the child. The child is a result of irresponsible (or no birth control). Plus, contraceptives are sinful also according to the Vatican.
I never said that Louis and Tessy are the first couple to ever have sex out of marriage. I just said that it seemd liked a contradictory example to be baptising your out of wedlock child as a teenager one week and a few weeks later be visiting the Pope who represents all things sacred and pure.

No need to attack me for my comment please.

Closed Thread