Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family, Current Events 3: February - October 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More from Getty Images

Attachments

• 57555365.jpg
    57555365.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 57555384.jpg
    57555384.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 57555397.jpg
    57555397.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 212
have a question, who or what chooses what color veil you wear when you meet the pope?

The Catholic Queens of Spain and Belgium along with the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Archduchess of Austria and Princess of Savoy (not to sure about the last two) are allowed to wear white, everyone else in black. You will notice some exceptions to the rule. Also younger girls seem to wear white

Oppie said:
The Catholic Queens of Spain and Belgium along with the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Archduchess of Austria and Princess of Savoy (not to sure about the last two) are allowed to wear white, everyone else in black. You will notice some exceptions to the rule. Also younger girls seem to wear white

I think it has something to do with the fact that their religion is catholicism. Unlike the other reigning monarchs who have different religions.

Yes...if you noticed when Queen Elizabeth visited the late Pope John Paul II, she had to wear a black veil. The privilege of a wearing a white veil is extended only to Catholic monarchs. Recently, if you saw pictures of the visit of Belgium's royal family to the Vatican, Queen Paola is wearing white; however, you'll also noticed that Princess Elisabeth is also wearing white...:)

Oh I forgot to add...Alexandra and Sebastian have grown! Looks like Guillaume is going to be the shortest in his family. And about Felix's hair...cut it boy!

Oh sorry, three posts in a row, but it's a question I've got to ask.

What is the necklace (if you could call it that) that Henri is wearing. I noticed Felipe of Spain wore that in his wedding as well as Prince Albert of Monaco during his coronation (? is it coronation? last November?). I've seen King Carl Gustav wearing that as well.

Can anyone tell me the significance of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I expected Alexandra to cut wear white. I guess Alexandra will wear white to the Vatican when she's older. I like what MT is wearing, but I expected the dress to be longer.

alexandra is taller than her mom :eek: uau time goes by so fast, she and her brother sebastian are really really beautiful, both ;)

rere said:
I expected Alexandra to cut wear white. I guess Alexandra will wear white to the Vatican when she's older.

I think it is only Queens or other symbolic and political heads or the wives of heads of state can wear white. Even if the rest of their family is Catholic, I think they still have to wear black. When Letizia visited Pope John Paul, she wore black even though she is Catholic. In future visits to the Pope, Alexandra would still wear black -- unless she marries and becomes the wife of a head of state and visits the Pope, then she would wear white.

I was wondering about the necklace that Henri is wearing, also. And the hair! What's with the Luxembourg boys and their hair?! Alexandra has grown into such a beautiful young woman now, too. *sigh* Such a beautiful family!

Peaches said:
Oh sorry, three posts in a row, but it's a question I've got to ask.

What is the necklace (if you could call it that) that Henri is wearing. I noticed Felipe of Spain wore that in his wedding as well as Prince Albert of Monaco during his coronation (? is it coronation? last November?). I've seen King Carl Gustav wearing that as well.

Can anyone tell me the significance of it?

The "necklace" :) is actually a collar and is part of a state order, in this case, the state order of the Vatican. State orders are those sashes you see everyone wearing at weddings and funerals and whatnot.
The methods in which they're worn [since Henri is wearing only the collar, and not the sash] vary due to the formality of the visit and I'm sure other factors as well.

And about the white: only reigning Catholic monarchs may wear white to the Vatican, as that is their privilege. Everyone else wears black. To wear white to visit the Pope when you are not Catholic, or a current [or past] monarch, is quite the faux pas. I don't believe this rule applies for young children or teenagers, though.

Why did the family have an audience with the pope? I mean, was it a special occassion or something?

(And yes, definitely agree that all three of the older boys have had better haircuts...)

it's really nice to see ALL of the family together!!! Can't wait until the next family event! All of the children have grown to be such beautiful people.

Thanks for the pics! :)

Princess Alexandra has visibly grown up! :p

I think it has something to do with the fact that their religion is catholicism. Unlike the other reigning monarchs who have different religions.

Just to add to my point those are the only ones who can wear white. For example the Catholic Princesses of Monaco and Liechtenstein (sp?) do not wear white even though they are traditionally Catholic heads of state or married to. When Princess Maxima becomes Queen although she is Catholic she would also not be allowed to wear white, neither would a Catholic head of state (president or wife of) from another country to be allowed to. I think there are some older pictures wear Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg isn wearing white, and I also the Princess Madeline of Sweden might have as well when they were younger girls. The rule also only applys to the Vatican. Queen Rania wore white when visiting the Pope at his summer home, and Queen Margarthe wore blue durning a visit by the pope to Denmark.

I would just like to clarify a point about wearing white; only wives of Catholic monarchs can. Not heads of state. Monarchs. Everyone else should wear black and a veil or mantilla. I made some complaints about Cherie Blair, wife of Tony, and she wore white to meet the pope. She wasn't allowed to do this because she isn't the wife of a monarch. Apparently a lot of people are now not observing the appropriate attire for meeting the Pope, so maybe the rules will die out soon. It's a bit of a shame really.

Thanks for the photos. They're so lucky to have met the Pope. I wonder what they talked about. I don't know if it has been posted, but how long was the audience?

I was reading the most current issue of Vanidades magazine in where they had a special interview with GD Maria Theresa. She stated that her dream was to take her husband and children to Cuba.

She did take Felix and Louis there a few years back but I can see why she'd want to take the entire family there and share more of her kids' other culture.

I would just like to clarify a point about wearing white; only wives of Catholic monarchs can. Not heads of state. Monarchs. Everyone else should wear black and a veil or mantilla. I made some complaints about Cherie Blair, wife of Tony, and she wore white to meet the pope. She wasn't allowed to do this because she isn't the wife of a monarch. Apparently a lot of people are now not observing the appropriate attire for meeting the Pope, so maybe the rules will die out soon. It's a bit of a shame really

This was mentioned in my first couple of posts but for some reason I find this one of the most facinating royal traditions so I just want to offer a small clarification. The rule doesn't apply to the wives of Catholic monarchs but to a specfic group of them, the Queens of Belgium and Spain and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg. The rule also applies to Archduchesses of Austria and Princesses of Savoy. The wives of the Catholic monarchs of Monaco and Liechtenstien are not allowed to, neither would a Catholic wife of another monarch (Princess Maxima when she becomes Queen would not be allowed to even though she is Catholic herself and the wife of a monarch)

The rule only seems to be strictly enforced when on an offical state visit to the Vatican, which is likley why Cherie Blair wore white (although I agree she wasn't suppose to) because that wouldn't be condsidered a state visit. Queen Rania and The Empress of Japan also have worn white but they were on a non-state visit to the Pope summer home (State vists only happen in the Vatican)

Oppie said:
(State vists only happen in the Vatican)

Oh it was a state visit? Sorry, I asked above what the occassion was. Took me a while to catch on :eek:

Thanks for the pictures everybody!!! Princess Alexandra has grown up so much and she looks so pretty. Her outfit seemed appropriate for the occasion and her age. Plus, I liked her shoes. :D It's nice to see the whole family together. Seems that Alexandra is blending the white and black rule with the Pope. White as a bottom layer with black lace. Is she wearing a black mantilla? And what purpose does the mantilla hold or is it just a courtesy thing? (sorry for my ignorance on the subject)

I don't think this was a state visit, I think it was either an official or private visit (really I don't know the difference but I think a state visit is longer and the Grand Duchess would have been wearing a tiara).

As for the veil that Princess Alexandra is wearing. (I don't think it is a matillia but someone can confirm that). It would be an old tradition/sign of respect. In the past women always covered there hair when going to a Catholic Church. I remember hearing stories from my teachers when they were students they would have to bobby pin a paper towel to there head if they forgot there veil on a mass day at school ;)

soCal girl said:
Is she wearing a black mantilla? And what purpose does the mantilla hold or is it just a courtesy thing? (sorry for my ignorance on the subject)

I think she was just wearing a black lace veil.

In a Catholic church, your head and arms should be covered at all times as a sign of respect. A lot of cathedrals in Europe will turn away tourists if they aren't wearing at least something to cover their arms.

Would they ever do a movie about the ducal couple?

This morning I had a rather unusual experience.

I was awaiting my bus at Luxembourg city at the bus station at half nine and all of a sudden a police motor bike drive past with speed and a flashing blue light and it was followed by at least six more motorbikes! I was surprised and expected a cycling race because these white motorbikes are accompanying cycling races but then I saw a black Daimler with the royal flag driving past followed by a dark Audi.

In the back seats of the Daimler I recognized the Grand Duke who was obviously going to an official meeting. :)

Last edited:
Wow! For moment like this I should live in Luxembourg! :D

drimal said:
This morning I had a rather unusual experience.

I was awaiting my bus at Luxembourg city at the bus station at half nine and all of a sudden a police motor bike drive past with speed and a flashing blue light and it was followed by at least six more motorbikes! I was surprised and expected a cycling race because these white motorbikes are accompanying cycling races but then I saw a black Daimler with the royal flag driving past followed by a dark Audi.

In the back seats of the Daimler I recognized the Grand Duke who was obviously going to an official meeting. :)

woowww.. lucky you.. was it the first time you saw the royals personally??.. I don't know how is it in luxembourg.. but I remember seeing pictures of princess mary taking her dog for a walk in copenaghen (sp?) .. just like anybody else...

lisamaria said:
Hullo!

The Royal family met the Pope yesterday - there is an article about it in Wort. Also, a few pictures were released by GEtty Images. Alexandra has sure grown! Louis was also there, but for some reason is just cut out of the first picture.

-L

It's interesting that so soon after Gabriel's birth Louis is off to visit the Pope. I wonder if Pope Benedict had any words with Louis about pre-marital or out of wedlock sex. :confused: I know that Louis is part of the family but considering that Louis violated or at least disregarded such a major belief of the Catholic church it seems indifferent that he would visit the Pope at the Vatican.

Genevieve said:
It's interesting that so soon after Gabriel's birth Louis is off to visit the Pope. I wonder if Pope Benedict had any words with Louis about pre-marital or out of wedlock sex. :confused: I know that Louis is part of the family but considering that Louis violated or at least disregarded such a major belief of the Catholic church it seems indifferent that he would visit the Pope at the Vatican.

Are you serious?

Do you think that Louis is the only royal (or any other person) that have visited the Pope that has had pre-marital sex? Do you think his older brothers are virgins? What about Leti and the others that visited the Pope (or not visited the Pope) before their marriages, do you think they were virgins and thus need a lecture from the Pope or should have stayed at home?

The child is one sure indication that Louis has had pre-marital sex. I hope you are are not assuming that those singles who haven't had an out-of-wedlock child, haven't had pre-marital sex. In the Catholic belief, the sin is the pre-marital sex, not the child. The child is a result of irresponsible (or no birth control). Plus, contraceptives are sinful also according to the Vatican.

MyAdia said:
Are you serious?

Do you think that Louis is the only royal (or any other person) that have visited the Pope that has had pre-marital sex? Do you think his older brothers are virgins?

I never said that I thought everyone else who has visited the Pope was a virgin. I never mentioned anyone else in fact.

MyAdia said:
What about Leti and the others that visited the Pope (or not visited the Pope) before their marriages, do you think they were virgins and thus need a lecture from the Pope or should have stayed at home?

By Leti I presume you mean Princess Letizia of Spain. Letizia was married before Felipe so any sex she might have had would have been with her husband so that certainly isn't the same as what Louis and Tessy did.

MyAdia said:
The child is one sure indication that Louis has had pre-marital sex. I hope you are are not assuming that those singles who haven't had an out-of-wedlock child, haven't had pre-marital sex. In the Catholic belief, the sin is the pre-marital sex, not the child. The child is a result of irresponsible (or no birth control). Plus, contraceptives are sinful also according to the Vatican.

I never said that Louis and Tessy are the first couple to ever have sex out of marriage. I just said that it seemd liked a contradictory example to be baptising your out of wedlock child as a teenager one week and a few weeks later be visiting the Pope who represents all things sacred and pure.

No need to attack me for my comment please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom