The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

lung cancer? golly hope everything's going fine she is lucky she is royal though she can afford all the best treatments.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Courtier

:( did she smoke?

Old 12-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Courtier

By Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

LUXEMBOURG, Luxembourg, Dec. 16, 2004 -- Citizens of Luxembourg and Belgium joined veterans of the Battle of the Bulge here today to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the opening day of the battle and to honor the 19,000 U.S. soldiers who died during what proved to be one of the largest and bloodiest encounters of World War II.

Snow-covered crosses honor 5,000 fallen U.S. servicemembers at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial. Photo by Bill Miles
(Click photo for screen-resolution image); high-resolution image available.

In the cold, fog-shrouded Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, the veterans paid tribute to 5,000 of their comrades buried here following what Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker acknowledged were their "most terrible days."

Juncker praised the "courageous young men" who endured what many said felt like overwhelming odds to free Luxembourg from five years of German occupation. "This is a day to pay tribute and to show our deepest gratitude," he told the veterans.

The prime minister vowed to pass the story of the courage demonstrated by the U.S. military on to future generations. "We must never forget" the debt Luxembourg owes the United States for "the sacrifices made by young American GIs" on its behalf, Juncker told the veterans and their families.

U.S. Ambassador to Luxembourg Peter Terpeluk delivered a proclamation from President Bush thanking the veterans of the Battle of the Bulge for their critical role in defeating Nazi Germany and freeing Europe from tyranny. "When it mattered most, the entire generation of Americans showed the finest qualities of our nation and humanity," the president wrote.

George Checken, president of the Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge organization, spoke for his fellow veterans during the ceremony in recalling "those dark days when we stood together and fought toward victory."

He called the 60th anniversary of the battle's opening day a fitting time "to pay homage to our comrades who made the supreme sacrifice" and told his fellow veterans, "We know you have not forgotten them."

Checken said the veterans of the Battle off the Bulge will also never forget the tragic scenes they witnessed -- nor the friendships they forged, between soldiers and between nations. "Thank you for remembering us," Checken told the Luxembourgers and Belgians at the ceremony. "We will never forget you."

The ceremony at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial included a 21-gun salute by the Luxembourg army and a wreath-laying to honor the fallen veterans of the Battle of the Bulge.

A flyover initially planned for the ceremony was cancelled due to thick fog. Ironically, U.S. air support for ground troops during the first days of the Battle of the Bulge was scrapped 60 years ago because of similar inclement weather conditions.

The ceremony here was among dozens of commemorations today throughout Luxembourg and Belgium observing the opening day of the Battle of the Bulge. The first events began at 5:30 a.m., exactly 60 years after 250,000 Germans launched their surprise attack on Dec. 16, 1944.

Earlier today, Secretary of the Air Force Jim Roche and Luxembourg's two crown princes, Prince Guillaume and Prince Felix, participated in a memorial service at Schumann Crossroads, one of the bloodiest sites of the Battle of the Bulge.

A National Liberation Memorial at the spot honors the U.S. soldiers who endured three weeks of brutal fighting at the spot as they worked to loosen the German army's grip on the strategic crossroads, and the thousands who died there.

Pierre Brosien, president of the National Liberation Memorial Association, recalled "the scene of horror" many Battle of the Bulge veterans lived through at the site and thanked them for their bravery and endurance.

"We were lucky to be liberated by you," agreed John Milmeister, secretary of the National Liberation Memorial Association. "Thanks to you, we in Western Europe are living in liberty and prosperity."

Nico Loes, mayor of Schumann, thanked the veterans for "your courage, your determination and your tenacity" in freeing Luxembourg from oppression. "We owe you one of the most precious commodities on this earth: freedom," he said. "Luxembourg will never forget what you have done for us."

"We live in freedom because of you," Roche told the veterans gathered at the memorial, noting that they hold "a place of honor in the history of civilization" that continues to inspire others today

Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge called today's ceremonies a time of reflection and healing.

Alfred Grossenbacher, a private first class with the 28th Infantry Division during the battle, called his visit to the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial an opportunity to honor his fallen comrades. "I thought the loss and the pain was over, but it's not," he said, tears welling up in his eyes. "They're the ones who allowed me to come home."

Michael Samberg, a private with the 26th "Yankee" Infantry Division during the battle, said he's worked through the sadness and the apologies he feels toward his comrades who died. "Now I'm here to honor them and their memories," he said. Looking back, Samberg said he's proud the actions he and his fellow soldiers took at the Battle of the Bulge. "When I look back at the contribution I was able to make, I feel that in some little way, I helped to make the world a better place," he said.

Photo 1- Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge endure conditions much like they faced 60 years ago to the day during a 60th anniversary commemoration ceremony at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, Dec. 16. Photo by Bill Miles

Photo 2- Battle of the Bulge veterans gather at Schumann Crossroads on Dec. 16 to honor thousands of their comrades killed during three weeks of fighting at the strategic crossroads in Luxembourg. Photo by Donna Miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2004121614a.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	67697   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004121614b.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	67698  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_barbarella
Earlier today, Secretary of the Air Force Jim Roche and Luxembourg's two crown princes, Prince Guillaume and Prince Felix, participated in a memorial service at Schumann Crossroads, one of the bloodiest sites of the Battle of the Bulge.
they said the crown princes... isnt guillaume the only one?

anyone...
Old 12-17-2004, 04:03 AM
Courtier

it's a pitty there weren't any pics of the guys :(
Old 12-17-2004, 05:16 AM
Nobility

I have found some pictures of this event, the 60th remembrance day of the Battle of Bulge, the Ardennes Offensives, the last battle of the nazis in World War II which caused many victims in December 1944!

In my newspaper there are plenty of pictures of the remembrance ceremony with Grand Duke Henri, Grand Duchess, Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Prince Felix. Unfortunately I cannot share them with you because it is difficult to scan them in my computer.:(
Perhaps the magazine Telecran which arrives next Wednesday will post some pictures on the web. But for now I have found these pictures of the event on the web!

The title site of Le Quotidien shows Henri, Maria Teresa, Guillaume and Felix.

On the two pictures the most below (in this silly bmp form!) you can see Guillaume.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ardennen 60 J 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	67760   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEQUOTIDIEN_101_1[UNE]G.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	67765  
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: bmp Ardennen 60 Jahre 1'.bmp (198.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: bmp Ardennen 60 Jahre 2'.bmp (197.2 KB, 90 views)
Old 12-18-2004, 01:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge endure conditions much like they faced 60 years ago to the day during a 60th anniversary commemoration ceremony ....Dec. 16.
Seems to me that the 60 anniversary celebrations are more poignant than those marking the half century !?!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Nobility

Drimal, thanks for the photos.
I think these are from the commemoration ceremony at the American military cemetery in Hamm. Both boys are visible in the pictures. Let me know if I am wrong. You are a big help on this board.

The four pic is Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume at the 2004 Autumn Fair. I found this statement "The Autumn Fair is one of Luxembourg’s major events and runs till Sunday October 24th inclusive."
What is the The Autumn Fair?

Is a high-ranking U.S. official visiting Luxembourg next year?

ReRe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lux1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	68744   Click image for larger version

Name:	lux2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	68745   Click image for larger version

Name:	lux3.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	68746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prince%20Guillaume.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	68747  

Old 12-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

OMG! Third pic- Guillaume not in a tie?!? Has the world gone mad????? I'm shocked to the point where I'm nearly speechless.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:11 AM
Courtier

what kind of pants/shoes are those that he's wearing? i can easily descern the turtleneck top and felix's wearing the same kind of top and is actually DRESSED rather nicely, excluding the facial hair, which makes me want to go "en garde" and have a fencing lesson with him, but guillaume - *scratches her head and is quite confused, see . what happened to him?
Old 12-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Heir Apparent

muhahahahaha is my eyes playing tricks for me or is Guillaume wearing Ugg boots in the third picture? hahahaha for some reason i find that hilarious!!! hahaha
Old 12-19-2004, 03:31 AM
Courtier

hahaha no tie and uggs lol what is wrong with these boys

omg look at felix i didnt recognise him wearing green
Old 12-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
muhahahahaha is my eyes playing tricks for me or is Guillaume wearing Ugg boots in the third picture? hahahaha for some reason i find that hilarious!!! hahaha
dunno, all i know is he looks tacky from the waist down :p

Quote:
omg look at felix i didnt recognise him wearing green
i don't know how you could've missed him. he's still got something growing on his face.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfroyste
dunno, all i know is he looks tacky from the waist down :p
i agree! i hope the princes aren't thinking that because it is winter they can dress sloppy! They're our eye candy they got to remain sweet!!! hehehe
Old 12-19-2004, 03:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
i agree! i hope the princes aren't thinking that because it is winter they can dress sloppy! They're our eye candy they got to remain sweet!!! hehehe
LOL, i couldn't agree more with you. all i want to know is what the heck happened????? did they fall and smack their heads on the floor or something? or did felix's bad taste sickness pass on to guillaume or vice versa???? oh, this is a sad, sad, SAD day. :(
Old 12-19-2004, 03:48 AM
Courtier

they both look gross haha i dont like them much anymore hehe they were suppose to stay hot :(
Old 12-19-2004, 04:02 AM
Nobility

I thought they both looked okay in the first couple of pics (even beardy-faced Felix) - but the ugg boots... ahem. They look like the sort of thing astronauts wear on the moon except they're brown. Maybe they're anti-gravity boots, so he can run extra fast if any of us girls come near him.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

bwuhahahaha that's hilarious katielouise 'the sort of thing astronauts wear on the moon except they're brown' hehehe i was wondering why the hell did his bottom half look fat until i realised they were ugg boots hahahaha...i haven't seen them worn by men for a while...at least not on famous men hahahaha
Old 12-19-2004, 04:25 AM
Courtier

Quote:
bwuhahahaha that's hilarious katielouise 'the sort of thing astronauts wear on the moon except they're brown' hehehe i was wondering why the hell did his bottom half look fat until i realised they were ugg boots hahahaha...i haven't seen them worn by men for a while...at least not on famous men hahahaha
LOL, omg!!!! yeah i was wondering the same too, at first, then i took a second look, and he looked as though he had stepped out of the jetsons, but he had landed in some serious mud or something to break his fall.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent

hahahaha...and we can't let Felix off the hook as well...hahahaha golly for one good looking princes minus the spanish inquisitor look he dresses like his a forest ranger...now what is going on princes? hhahaha