The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Courtier

Some people guess he is very shy towards women? Is this true?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Um, no. He was equally comfortable with men and women. Certainly more comfortable with some of the young women than the businessmen.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
Probably just more private than some people (especially Americans... who tend to be a bit more...open shall we say?) which I would think would lead a lot of people to simply assume he's shy.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Americans in general are at lot more open about their families, their personal life and their jobs, etc. Europeans as a whole don't open up as much until you get to know them (they then may tell you things about their families, etc). At least this has been my experience with people from Europe.

Royalty in general are not open about their family or private life and for good reason. If it's something that they want the public to know, then it's known. I would be very surprised if someone who was royal would open up to a regular person or someone who is from a lower social standing than themselves. That's normally not done.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Americans in general are at lot more open about their families, their personal life and their jobs, etc. Europeans as a whole don't open up as much until you get to know them (they then may tell you things about their families, etc). At least this has been my experience with people from Europe.

Royalty in general are not open about their family or private life and for good reason. If it's something that they want the public to know, then it's known. I would be very surprised if someone who was royal would open up to a regular person or someone who is from a lower social standing than themselves. That's normally not done.
How do you get to know someone without knowing about their family, personal life and job? If you don't know these things then you don't actually know a person. They are merely used to your presence, which does not mean that you are friends. All of my European friends are warm and open and never held back with anything.

I doubt if many guests would have had the audacity to ask Guillaume about his private life.

I think most people would be surprised to learn that many of the friends of the family are regular people from lower social classes. They don't seem to have common-folk phobia.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
He looked thin and short in person. My personal experience was was not entirely pleasant despite his mostly professional performance.
That was kind of cryptic. Can you explain?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit View Post
That was kind of cryptic. Can you explain?
I wrote a really extensive blog entry on my experience. I don't want to write it again.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Courtier

I read your blog and was quite suprised, how rude he was to you.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I wrote a really extensive blog entry on my experience. I don't want to write it again.
That's disappointing. Try not to take one encounter though to heart- there could be many things that were going on and one encounter isn't really a good representation of a person's character.

That said- we will also most likely never know what they are really like in person and this just serves to remind us that what we see in the press and what a celebrity is really like in person usually aren't the same.

I'm sorry your trip was so disappointing. :(
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Aristocracy

I found another picture of Guillaume from the party where he was pictured with the spy. Looks like it wasn't a doctored photo just being in the wrong place under unfortunate circumstances.

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5...30guestsx4.jpg
Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Everyone's experince with meeting a royal is diffrent... I have met 2 royals in my lifetime and I can tell you that my first didn't go so well.... Maybe next time you will get the chance to knock the socks off the royal with what you have to say
Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Serene Highness

I've never actually met royalty but met someone who had noble blood in them. They were very nice and went out of their way to be nice to everyone they met. Before I met this person, I thought they might be rather formal or somewhat aloof.
I misjudged them.

I guess anyone who meets royalty has different experiences with them.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I've read it. I think it doesn't mean that G. is bad guy, maybe he was stressed, had bad day or sth. But it's not nice, not makes good impresion. I was a big fan of him, for some time but hopefully I grew up from that, but still like him a little so it's dissapointing, really.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Courtier

I don't necessarily think that he is a bad guy. I know that he had only arrived in NYC late the day before and flew out to DC the following day. I am sure he was exhausted. I'm tried of making excuses for his behavior. I've been very vocal supporter of the family for a long time now. I cannot express how disappointed I am that people have to hear from me, of all people, that Guillaume isn't always nice.

I will say this, being treated like nothing by a person that you respect feels terrible.

Despite my bad experience I still feel that he is probably one of the best heirs around. Maybe I'm still too protective of the family.

I know other people that have met Guillaume and had wonderful reviews of him. I only wish my personal experience had been better.etter.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
Everyone's experince with meeting a royal is diffrent... I have met 2 royals in my lifetime and I can tell you that my first didn't go so well.... Maybe next time you will get the chance to knock the socks off the royal with what you have to say
Same with me...first was an awful, nasty and mean but I would have to say he was having a really bad day...the second was so charming he could have sweet talked the paint right off the wall!
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefeatherz View Post
Same with me...first was an awful, nasty and mean but I would have to say he was having a really bad day...the second was so charming he could have sweet talked the paint right off the wall!
which 2 royals have you met?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I didn't realize you had blogged about it. What a disappointment!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 10-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Courtier

I think every person has his/her bad day. Of course there are people who are every day mean and snobby.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Commoner

nobody never said he was like that, usually we can read he's nice and smiling, that's why i do think it was just one day like that, a bad day... It's not an excuse, i understand LM can be very disappointed but i still think he's a very nice guy and he was just stressed out and busy. And i hope LM will have another opportunity to meet him and discover who he's really.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Nobility

After such dissapointed I would loose motivation to the next meeting with G. but I hope Lalla Meriem doesn't stop blogging. I like this blog so much! I think it's really good and highly professional blog about royals.

Tags
current events, guillaume luxembourg, hereditary grand duke guillaume