HGD Guillaume, Current Events 1 to 8: January 2003 - January 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that to but did the palace make a formal announcement or is it pure speculation.

I sort of believe that it is pure speculation, but the Wikipedia says that he failed to complete a degree in political science and history at the University of Durham. The Wikipedia seems to be pretty accurate so I'm not sure...

I think there's a difference between "failing to complete" and "failing out" - the first often just means he failed to complete in the time expected but can still go back later when he has more time. (I know a guy who "failed to complete" and went back over a decade later and his credits still counted...) So if the Wikipedia article was written a while back, it is possible Guillaume went back to school already, though given the number of functions he's attending I don't think the time is ripe right now either...

Also, does anyone know if J-C's death contributed to Guillaume putting his education on hold and taking more responsibilities? Kind of giving Jean time to mourn, but also showing that a new generation is prepared to be on the rise?

According to the section on the royal family on the government of luxembourg official website guilluame is studying international politics in london, but it doesn't say where.
http://www.gouvernement.lu/dossiers/famille_grand_ducale/heritier/index.html
obviously,its in french but it translates to 'currently the prince is following a course in international politics in london.'
hope that clears things up!

Last edited:
it's nice to see so many new people joining us who like the luxembourgish family :)

i would advise not to trust wikipedia that much on these kind of absolutely private issues (that guillaume failed in durham), after all it's an encyclopedia made by anyone, and anyone can edit it.

place royal is a great programme. although it's difficult to understand it's nice that they have a programme all about royals, and that we can see videos of the luxembourg family, since we practically don't hear about them. i just loved the videos of maria teresa, specially the old ones of the last programme (they have a special dedicated to her with ocassion of her birthday!) really worth watching it! :)

S.A.R. le Grand-Duc héritier et le ministre de l'Économie, Jeannot Krecké, en mission économique en Russie
09-04-2006 - 13-04-2006
11krecke_gdh_russie.jpg

http://www.gouvernement.lu/salle_presse/actualite/2006/04/09krecke_russie/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
ysakuraba said:
S.A.R. le Grand-Duc héritier et le ministre de l'Économie, Jeannot Krecké, en mission économique en Russie
09-04-2006 - 13-04-2006
Can someone provide an english summary of what the article is about?

Last edited by a moderator:
grim_lady said:
Can someone provide an english summary of what the article is about?

Basically Guillaume and the Foreign Trade/Commerce Minister of Luxembourg, Jeannot Krecke, led a delegation to Russia whose purpose was to improve Luxembourg's general relations with the BRIC group (Brasil, Russia, India and China) and in particular to establish Luxembourg as a strong trading partner to receive Russian FDI. The rest of the article states a number of meetings that took place including with Greff (the Russian Minister of Economic Development), the Energy Minister Khristenko and Yastrjhemskiy, Vladimir Putin's Minister of European Affairs.

In Moscow they also met with the presidents of Russian corporations NMLK and Sistema who are important clients of Luxembourg's Paul Wurth Inc. They then traveled to Sverdlovsk to meet with MMK (previously, Magnitogorsk Corp) and NTMK. Finally, they inaugurated a production line in Vologda called Severgal, which is a joint effort between the Russian company Severstal, and Arcelor, which is the main company of which Paul Wurth is a branch.

wow he's been a busy bever later. I don't think he returned to school.

LIELAC said:
wow he's been a busy bever later. I don't think he returned to school.

I think, he was in school. Maybe he is doing this, because that is his duty and he must to do this. Or maybe he has holidays.

I think that Guillaume is one princes very well prepared... I believe that he´ll a good governor

I agree HGD Guillaume is the most well versed and well prepared young princes in line to their own throne.

Him and Victoria, although she may be considered a part of the "older crowd" with Felipe, Haakon and Fredrick...but then, who else is there in line to a throne?

Prince William is left and I feel sorry for him because I don't think he is prepared for his future role at all.

kaydura0717 said:
Prince William is left and I feel sorry for him because I don't think he is prepared for his future role at all.

But he has alot of time since he has his father before him. Guillaume doesn't have that.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
But he has alot of time since he has his father before him. Guillaume doesn't have that.

How is this so? Charles will have a relatively short reign since his mother, the Queen will never abdicate and will live a fairly long life if her mother, the Queen Mum is any indication.

In Luxembourg there is a precedence of abdication (Jean abdicated in favour of Henri, and Henri could possibly abdicate in a few decades in favour of Guillaume), so even though Henri is ruling before Charles, he could stop ruling before he dies, which Charles is unlikely to do.

I think both Guillaume and William will have roughly the same amount of experience when they each take to their respective thrones. William will probably have more experience since Great Britain has more international ties, even if Guillaume has taken on his hereditary grand duke duties before William has taken on official duties.

I wonder as he is 25 years old?? Does he have to be married to be the duke?

Alexandria said:
How is this so? Charles will have a relatively short reign since his mother, the Queen will never abdicate and will live a fairly long life if her mother, the Queen Mum is any indication.

In Luxembourg there is a precedence of abdication (Jean abdicated in favour of Henri, and Henri could possibly abdicate in a few decades in favour of Guillaume), so even though Henri is ruling before Charles, he could stop ruling before he dies, which Charles is unlikely to do.

I think both Guillaume and William will have roughly the same amount of experience when they each take to their respective thrones. William will probably have more experience since Great Britain has more international ties, even if Guillaume has taken on his hereditary grand duke duties before William has taken on official duties.

I think the assumption is that if Charles dies after he turns 100 then William has almost another 40 years to prepare to become King. Whereas, if Henri abdicates at 60 or 65 then Guillaume will be Grand Duke in fifteen years' time so he has less time to get experience before becoming sovereign (not less experience as Grand Duke but less time to prepare for it). Although I guess William will become Prince of Wales before he becomes king and that carries a lot of responsibility too, (though obviously not as much as being the head of state.)

princesslily said:

I don't think that's a legal requirement, but I'm pretty sure Henri will hold on until Guillaume is married and has a few children. :)

Which website can I go to, to find Guillaume royal scheduels?

princesslily said:
Which website can I go to, to find Guillaume royal scheduels?

The Grand Ducal family's schedules have never been publicly posted as far as I know. You might be able to find some information at the government's site, http://www.gouvernement.lu, if you know French.

princesslily said:

Not really. If he never gets married, then he will still become the Grand Duke after his father is deceased or abdicates.

Guillaume never haved a Girlfriend.... ? I only know of Pia HAreldsen.....but...he´s wait me jajajaja....anybody know?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom