The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I did not know a trip to the Vatican was on Guillaume and Stephanie's schedule. Gui was probably able to converse with His Holiness in Spanish, which would have pleased him!

Thanks Lady Finn for the video, and every one who submitted photos.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Stephanie is beautiful! What a lady! Love it!!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Nobility

Love this lovely couple.
Stéphanie is really a Royal Lady in all senses !!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Courtier

Why did only he kiss The Pope's hand and she didnt..
Old 10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
Why did only he kiss The Pope's hand and she didnt..
I also wondered about it. Maybe there is some kind of protocol.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I have no idea why Stephanie didn't do it, but there is certainly no protocol against it.

Perhaps she was simply flustered and forgot.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I have no idea why Stephanie didn't do it, but there is certainly no protocol against it.

Perhaps she was simply flustered and forgot.
Exactly.
If I got it right, nearly every Catholic noble or royal should kiss pope's hand, except Duke or Duchess of Alba.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

I think they were both nervous. Guillaume did a split between a bow and a curtsy lol. They seemed a bit starstruck IMO.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Courtier

They did seem a bit starstruck, bless them. Lovely video footage.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post

Exactly.
If I got it right, nearly every Catholic noble or royal should kiss pope's hand, except Duke or Duchess of Alba.
Interesting! Why the Albas should not?
Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Interesting! Why the Albas should not?
I've found such an explanation.
This privilege was granted to the Head of the House of Alba by the Pope several centuries ago.

The Duchess of Alba is the head of the 540 year old House of Alba and as such, enjoys certain unique privileges; some of them come from centuries ago and may seem a bit dated in our times.

Two of the most well-known privileges that belong the Head of the House of Alba are:
- Not having to kneel before the Pope; this one was granted several centuries ago, either to Don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, 3rd Duke of Alba, or his predecessor for loyal service to the Pope and Christian (Catholic) Church.

- The right to ride on horseback into Seville Cathedral; this right was granted some time later, possibly during the times of Don Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo, 4th Duke of Alba. The Head of the House of Alba is the ONLY person who has this particular privilege; even the King of Spain can't do that.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
I think they were both nervous. Guillaume did a split between a bow and a curtsy lol. They seemed a bit starstruck IMO.
LOL! I noticed that too and I giggled. Guillaume and Stephanie are 31 and 29 yrs of age. They sometimes seem both younger and older than their years, as odd as it sounds.

I think it's charming that despite their rank, they get starstruck and act a little goofy like everyone else.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Nobility

I think that Guillaume will have genuflected (bent the knee).
:)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Courtier

25-10-2013

25ème anniversaire de l'Harmonie des Jeunes Prince Guillaume - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Octobre 2013
Old 10-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Royal Highness

I suppose Stephanie did not get the shawl blanc?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Serene Highness

No shawl blanc, Giraffe. What I've picked up here is that only a Catholic head of state may wear white to visit the Pope. Thus, Maria Teresa has worn white to visit the pope, and to the pope's inauguration. The shawl blanc will arrive in due course if the world persists . I saw an old picture of the grand ducal family receiving Pope Benedict in Luxembourg. Little Princess Alexandra was wearing all white. Possibly unmarried princesses of Catholic royal or ducal families may wear white. The married princesses of same must wear black to indicate mourning for their fallen state?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

Guillaume and Stephanie are just adorable, aren't they? They just seem so sweet together. I love how nervous she seems.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Christina View Post
Guillaume and Stephanie are just adorable, aren't they? They just seem so sweet together. I love how nervous she seems.
I agree. I find them so endearing and real, not forced or artificial
Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Serene Highness

IIRC, only Catholic monarchs and their spouses have the right to wear white. Guillaume and Stephanie would not fall under this clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
I think that Guillaume will have genuflected (bent the knee).
:)

Yep that's exactly what he did.

LaRae
Old 10-29-2013, 03:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
LOL! I noticed that too and I giggled. Guillaume and Stephanie are 31 and 29 yrs of age. They sometimes seem both younger and older than their years, as odd as it sounds.

I think it's charming that despite their rank, they get starstruck and act a little goofy like everyone else.
Nice to see them visit the Pope and, unlike many other VIP's, they seem very devout in their faith and, as such, far more more affected than most others at such an audience.

I think Guillaume has probably met the Pope before but I don't think Stephanie has. I also think she looked shy and almost over-awed in the presence of His Holiness. It's a big deal meeting the Pope and I contrast it with her shy but radiant and confident walk to the church for her wedding.

You called it Moonmaiden they really did act a little goofey. Different strokes for different folks.

I bet they'll look back in later years and have a laugh at how star-struck and kind of awkward they both were.

Tags
current events, guillaume, hereditary grand duchess stéphanie, lannoy, luxembourg, news, stephanie, hereditary grand duke guillaume