HGD Guillaume and HGD Stéphanie, Current Events 2: October 2012 - May 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not know a trip to the Vatican was on Guillaume and Stephanie's schedule. Gui was probably able to converse with His Holiness in Spanish, which would have pleased him!

Thanks Lady Finn for the video, and every one who submitted photos.:)

Last edited:
Love this lovely couple.
Stéphanie is really a Royal Lady in all senses !!

Why did only he kiss The Pope's hand and she didnt..

I have no idea why Stephanie didn't do it, but there is certainly no protocol against it.

Perhaps she was simply flustered and forgot.:whistling:

I have no idea why Stephanie didn't do it, but there is certainly no protocol against it.

Perhaps she was simply flustered and forgot.:whistling:

Exactly.
If I got it right, nearly every Catholic noble or royal should kiss pope's hand, except Duke or Duchess of Alba.

I think they were both nervous. Guillaume did a split between a bow and a curtsy lol. They seemed a bit starstruck IMO.

They did seem a bit starstruck, bless them. Lovely video footage.

Interesting! Why the Albas should not?
I've found such an explanation.
This privilege was granted to the Head of the House of Alba by the Pope several centuries ago.

The Duchess of Alba is the head of the 540 year old House of Alba and as such, enjoys certain unique privileges; some of them come from centuries ago and may seem a bit dated in our times.

Two of the most well-known privileges that belong the Head of the House of Alba are:
- Not having to kneel before the Pope; this one was granted several centuries ago, either to Don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, 3rd Duke of Alba, or his predecessor for loyal service to the Pope and Christian (Catholic) Church.

- The right to ride on horseback into Seville Cathedral; this right was granted some time later, possibly during the times of Don Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo, 4th Duke of Alba. The Head of the House of Alba is the ONLY person who has this particular privilege; even the King of Spain can't do that.

I think they were both nervous. Guillaume did a split between a bow and a curtsy lol. They seemed a bit starstruck IMO.

LOL! I noticed that too and I giggled. Guillaume and Stephanie are 31 and 29 yrs of age. They sometimes seem both younger and older than their years, as odd as it sounds.

I think it's charming that despite their rank, they get starstruck and act a little goofy like everyone else.:p

I suppose Stephanie did not get the shawl blanc? :p

No shawl blanc, Giraffe. What I've picked up here is that only a Catholic head of state may wear white to visit the Pope. Thus, Maria Teresa has worn white to visit the pope, and to the pope's inauguration. The shawl blanc will arrive in due course if the world persists . I saw an old picture of the grand ducal family receiving Pope Benedict in Luxembourg. Little Princess Alexandra was wearing all white. Possibly unmarried princesses of Catholic royal or ducal families may wear white. The married princesses of same must wear black to indicate mourning for their fallen state?

Guillaume and Stephanie are just adorable, aren't they? They just seem so sweet together. I love how nervous she seems.

IIRC, only Catholic monarchs and their spouses have the right to wear white. Guillaume and Stephanie would not fall under this clause.

I think that Guillaume will have genuflected (bent the knee).
:)

Yep that's exactly what he did.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! I noticed that too and I giggled. Guillaume and Stephanie are 31 and 29 yrs of age. They sometimes seem both younger and older than their years, as odd as it sounds.

I think it's charming that despite their rank, they get starstruck and act a little goofy like everyone else.:p
Nice to see them visit the Pope and, unlike many other VIP's, they seem very devout in their faith and, as such, far more more affected than most others at such an audience.

I think Guillaume has probably met the Pope before but I don't think Stephanie has. I also think she looked shy and almost over-awed in the presence of His Holiness. It's a big deal meeting the Pope and I contrast it with her shy but radiant and confident walk to the church for her wedding.

You called it Moonmaiden they really did act a little goofey. Different strokes for different folks.

I bet they'll look back in later years and have a laugh at how star-struck and kind of awkward they both were.

She is very humble and graceful. Her outfit is very appropriate, furthermore, this is the commun dress code to meet the pope. I never saw a royal lady being inapropriately dressed while visiting the Pope.
As for the black veil, it is also part of every outfit for such a visit. When she become Grand-duchess, Stephanie will wear the white mantilla, but for the moment the black veil is mandatory.

Fandesacs2003, you are totally right !!

By the way, it is strange that there are no photos of Guillaume and Stéphanie with Pope Francis.

She is very humble and graceful. Her outfit is very appropriate, furthermore, this is the commun dress code to meet the pope. I never saw a royal lady being inapropriately dressed while visiting the Pope.
As for the black veil, it is also part of every outfit for such a visit. When she become Grand-duchess, Stephanie will wear the white mantilla, but for the moment the black veil is mandatory.

Queen Rania caused a firestorm when she was received by Benedict XVI and wore a silvery grey/white outfit with matching mantilla. It was very definitely inappropriate, as she is not a Catholic queen and was entitled to wear only black.

But she looked incredibly beautiful, just the same!:whistling:

Queen Rania caused a firestorm when she was received by Benedict XVI and wore a silvery grey/white outfit with matching mantilla. It was very definitely inappropriate, as she is not a Catholic queen and was entitled to wear only black.

But she looked incredibly beautiful, just the same!:whistling:

So only the CATHOLIc Queens can wear white mantilla? Interesting. It means that Queen Margarete of Denmark, or Queen Beatrix worn BLACK mantillas? I did not know.
Apparently Quuen rania considered that she has this right, because she repeated the white veil while visiting Pope Francis.

http://i40.tinypic.com/8xvihw.jpg

The only pic with Pope Benedikt she is weraing a black mantilla.

http://i42.tinypic.com/3148fms.jpg

Stephanie and Guillaume bowed to the Popem but the Pope bowed to Queen Rania.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Rania caused a firestorm when she was received by Benedict XVI and wore a silvery grey/white outfit with matching mantilla. It was very definitely inappropriate, as she is not a Catholic queen and was entitled to wear only black. But she looked incredibly beautiful, just the same!:whistling:
picture, please?

There's a different protocoll whether you visit the Pope at the Vatican or whether the Pope comes to your country.

In the latter scenario, you can basically wear what you want though it is a different story when you go to the Vatican. There used to be a strict dresscode requiring men to wear a morning coat or white tie and tails and women to wear full-length black dresses and a black veil or mantilla. The rules have watered down over the years and many men simply wear business suits when they are received for an audience by the Pope and while many women also wear knee-length skirts these days, most stick to the colour black. The only women exempt from this rule are 'most Catholic monarchs'/their wives who have the 'privilège du blanc' and thus are allowed to wear white in the presence of the Pope. The only ones having this privilege at the moment are Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, Queen Sofia of Spain and the three Belgian queens, Mathilde, Paola and Fabiola. There is a little confusion as to Princess Charlene of Monaco as she wore white while being received for an audience last year though the Princely Family did not traditionally held the privilege. If you have the privilege, you do not have to excercise it but can also wear black. Over the years, there have also been women who have decided not to wear black when visiting the Pope but you should be prepared for a media backlash if you do so. (National costumes are alright though.) For more, have a look here.

No shawl blanc, Giraffe. What I've picked up here is that only a Catholic head of state may wear white to visit the Pope. Thus, Maria Teresa has worn white to visit the pope, and to the pope's inauguration. The shawl blanc will arrive in due course if the world persists . I saw an old picture of the grand ducal family receiving Pope Benedict in Luxembourg. Little Princess Alexandra was wearing all white. Possibly unmarried princesses of Catholic royal or ducal families may wear white. The married princesses of same must wear black to indicate mourning for their fallen state?

Pope Benedict XVI has never visited Luxembourg. Only Pope John Paul II visited the Grand Duchy in 1985 (IIRC, Grand Duchess Charlotte was still alive and it was rather shortly before her death). Princess Alexandra visited the Vatican for an audience twice. Once in 2003 when she wore white and in 2006 when she wore a black and white dress. If she visited again, I would expect her to wear black as she is a grown woman now while children are exempt from the above rules.

This is it I presume;
Jordan queen all a-Twitter over papal visit

This is not a thread about Rania or fashion however.

No this is not it. Not even close.

The photo is in the Rania fashion thread or "Royalty visiting the Pope" or something.

Or it can simply be Google'd.

fandesacs2003, those are not the photos I am referring to. Rania looked almost bridal.

Last edited:
Please,don´t let us start a fashion war about what women wear to visit the Pope!
All the pictures I have seen are decent-looking,conservative and elegant, no reason to complain!
Neither Benedict XVI nor the current pope have a strong interest in fashion, I am sure they enjoyed talking to their visitors and did not waste a tought on the ladie´s attire.

I see, Sidney Lux, that that picture of the entire Lux family receiving the Pope in Luxembourg was a reception for John Paul II. In it, little Alexandra was all in white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom