Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, Part 2: April 2005 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was princess Elizabeth the person who lived with GD Jean after death of his wife in 2005? I think one of his sibling was with jean at this time.

Grand Duke Jean watched the final stage of the cycling race Tour de Luxembourg yesterday and was accompanied by his grandchildren Prince Carl of Nassau, son of Prince Jean, Princess Maria-Anunciata and Prince Josef of Liechtenstein, daughter and son of Princess Margaretha and Prince Nikolaus, as well as Princess Marie-Astrid's and Archduke Carl-Christian of Austria's children Archduke Imre and wife Archduchess Kathleen, Archduke Alexandra and Archduchess Gabriella.

Luxarazzi : Family Sunday Out

In 1976 , I lived in Luxembourg and saw Queen Elisabeth II with her grand tiara. Unforgettable.
I don't remember if the late Grand Duchess wore a British sash ?
Thanks for sharing this picture

In 1976 , I lived in Luxembourg and saw Queen Elisabeth II with her grand tiara. Unforgettable.
I don't remember if the late Grand Duchess wore a British sash ?
Thanks for sharing this picture

It looked like a nice relaxed meeting,hope you took some photos!

Here's a list of Orders help by the late Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg.

Luxembourg: Knight of the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau

Belgian Honours
Belgium: Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold

Foreign Honours
Iceland: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon (9 June 1986)
Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav
Netherlands: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion
Sweden: Member of the Order of the Seraphim
Sweden: HM King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Medal (30 April 1996)
Denmark: Knight of the Order of the Elephant
Kingdom of Greece: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Saints Olga and Sophia (13 May 1962)
Spain : Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (8 July 1980)
Germany: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
Iran : Commemorative Medal of the 2500th Anniversary of the founding of the Persian Empire (14 October 1971)
Holy See : Member of Sovereign Military Order of Malta

How curious that she never received a French order. They live next door and the French orders of merit seem to be handed out to basically anybody they can find.

Last edited:
The above list is from her Wikipedia profile so there could be missing items,but the non French honour is odd.

Whilst her husband received many British Orders, Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte of Luxembourg never received any,I wonder was there any reason as to why?

The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh did pay a State Visit to the Grand Duchy in November 1976.

Queen Elizabeth ll and Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh walk with... News Photo | Getty Images

Queen Elizabeth II. never gives Order to female Consorts. Queens Silvia, Sonja and Sofia for example also don't have a british Order.

Posts about the 95th birthday celebrations of GD Jean has been moved here.

Last edited:
On September 16th, GD Jean attended a benefit concert marking the 100th birthday of former head of military music Norbert Hoffman.

Luxemburger Wort - Großherzog Jean als Zuschauer

Great to see the Grand-Duke still out and about. He is the very last (legitimate) one descending from a Nassau.

The last real direct (legitimate) male descendant is Clothilde von Nassau-Merenberg. She shares Carolina of Orange-Nassau and Karl Christian von Nassau-Weilburg as ancestors with Grand Duke Jean:

Prince Willem IV of Orange-Nassau, Stadtholder of the United Provinces (1711-1751)
x Princess Anne of Great Britain and Hanover, The Princess Royal (1709-1759)
=
Carolina

Princess Carolina of Orange-Nassau (1743-1787)
x Prince Karl Christian of Nassau-Weilburg (1735-1788)
=
Wilhelm

Prince Wilhelm of Nassau-Weilburg, Duke of Nassau (1792-1839)
x Princess Pauline of Württemberg (1810-1856)
=
Nikolaus

Prince Nikolaus of Nassau-Weilburg (1832-1905)
x (morganatic) Natalia Alexandrovna Pushkina, cr. Countess von Merenberg (1836-1913)
=
Georg

Georg, Count von Merenberg (1871-1948)
x Olga Alexandrovna Romanova, cr. Princess Yurievskaya (1873-1925)
=
Georg

Georg, Count von Merenberg (1897-1965)
x Elisabeth Anne Müller Uri (1903-1963)
=
Clotilde

The last direct male Nassau-descendant therefore is Clotilde, Countess von Merenberg, widow of the German aristocrat Enno von Rintelen (1921-2013). She has three sons: Alexander (1966), Nicolaus (1970) en Gregor (1972).

Glad to see Grand Duke Jean out and about; he seemed to be quite in good shape IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom