The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Palace release a new picture of Grand Duke Jean on the occassion of his 97th Birthday tomorrow

http://www.monarchie.lu/pictures/pho...n_gd_henri.jpg

Old 01-04-2018, 05:29 AM
Courtier

This is a lovely portrait and Grand Duke Jean is looking so well for 97! A generation made of very strong stuff indeed.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Nobility

The photo is nice surprise, althougt the photo is not very recent one.
Grand Duke is indeed looking so well for 97.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:44 AM
Nobility

Grand Duke Jean and the late GD Joséphine-Charlotte, Part 2 (April 2005 - )

This is a very well produced piece on the Grand Duchess Charlotte and her family during WW2 now available
https://youtu.be/w_pl7-klfBA
Old 01-05-2019, 02:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Grand Duke Jean celebrates his 98th Birthday today

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsPnqP2FQhZ/
Old 01-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Members of the family together to celebrates the 98th Birthday of Grand Duke Jean!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsQTKIfllMA/
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Always nice if a family picture is released. Although I feel a bit bas for Louis that his sons weren't there. In addition, I am a bit surprised that the court combines ' Her Imperial and Royal Higness' with the title of 'countess' for Marie- Christine. Isn't the HIRH attached to her being an archduchess? Or is this a perfectly fine and normal use?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 AM
Majesty

It would be lovely if all his descendants and their spouses were present.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Always nice if a family picture is released. Although I feel a bit bas for Louis that his sons weren't there. In addition, I am a bit surprised that the court combines ' Her Imperial and Royal Higness' with the title of 'countess' for Marie- Christine. Isn't the HIRH attached to her being an archduchess? Or is this a perfectly fine and normal use?

Since she has married she is a Countess of Limburg-Stirum but remains and Hi / RH. See for example Fürstin mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil,. n´üee Duchess of Württemberg sho is also still a HRH or her mopther.-in-law and born Princess f Bavaria.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Yes, I found it surprising how few of the grandkids of jean were there. At the very least I woukd have expected all of Henri's kids and grandkids to be there.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Half are missing and Gabriela of Habsbourg partner was not invited.
No Liechtenstein at all.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Since she has married she is a Countess of Limburg-Stirum but remains and Hi / RH. See for example Fürstin mathilde of Waldburg-Zeil,. n´üee Duchess of Württemberg sho is also still a HRH or her mopther.-in-law and born Princess f Bavaria.
Also for another example, the Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein maintains her HRH style whereas her husband is a HSH, my understanding is is uaul to keep a higher style but use a husbands title in its feminine form.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I thought in most cases they would keep their higher title along with their husband's title but probably that practice is mainly used when they marry non-nobles. I had indeed noticed this practice with Sophie but those titles seemed more equal (both highness although one royal and one serene) than archduchess and countess. For example, it seems that HSH princess Alexandra of S-W-B wasn't known as HSH countess of P & K-E but as HSH princess Alexandra of S-W-B, countess of P & K-E.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
It would be but as it is not a milestone birthday I understand that not all his children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren joined.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Half are missing and Gabriela of Habsbourg partner was not invited.
No Liechtenstein at all.
Had he been with Gabriella and Victoria I am sure he would have been included in the picture as a fiancé (and greatnephew of Jean). So, the most likely scenario is that they aren't together any longer. I don't think they have been spotted together after the rather awkward pictures taken soon after Victoria's birth.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Majesty

Wonderful picture. Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Prinz Jean!
Old 01-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Four of the five Children , all the Grandchildren of the Grand Duke are missing that is a lot.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful family photo.

Yeah... I agree with Biri. It would have been nicer with more family members.
I understand it's difficult to gather such a large family together and it's not a milestone birthday but how often does someone turn 98?!

Maybe the photo was taken after the holidays when most folks return to work/school?

On a side note, I do appreciate Japan's IHA being extra and always stating when photos/video were taken. Hehehe.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Nice to see the photo, though like others here I do wish the others were there as it seems like the photo is lacking in family members! It's a shame that Louis's sons weren't included, though IIRC they're still on holiday with Tessy in Switzerland at the moment. I wonder why Amalia and Liam weren't there.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Nice to see the photo, though like others here I do wish the others were there as it seems like the photo is lacking in family members! It's a shame that Louis's sons weren't included, though IIRC they're still on holiday with Tessy in Switzerland at the moment. I wonder why Amalia and Liam weren't there.
Because their parents weren't there either I suppose

Jean's greatgrandchildren by Imre and Christoph also weren't there. Only 2 of his 5 children were present (although Guillaume's wife and daughter were present; as were Marie-Astrid's daughters and youngest son).

Closed Thread

Tags
grand duchess josephine-charlotte, grand duke, grand duke jean, jean, josephine-charlotte