The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Courtier

A few things got mixed up here
The “news” about Felix gambling is more than 70 years old.
It was the husband of Grand Duke Henri´s grandmother Charlotte, Felix de Bourbon-Parma, who dealt with gambling problems back in the 1930th. The state supported the Grand Ducal family back then by endowing them with the Grünwald forest. Drimal explained the story here.
Henri´s son Felix really isn’t a gambler and the state didn’t have to pay his debts.

As for the change of the constitution: I guess it’s about time to adapt the constitution. The Grand Duke has the constitutional right to wage a war and to suspend the parliament. This forced some criticism (e.g. in UN circles) since it’s not really in agreement with democratic standards.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Courtier

i must say, that i'm kinda glad that the family's "dirty laundry", so to speak, is being aired. it simply shows that everyone, whether royal or not, has problems. in relation to PR, it helps them seem closer to the people, which, in political terms, could be useful. afterall, that's what makes a country... its people. the "leader" merely puts a face on the government.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann
A few things got mixed up here. The “news” about Felix gambling is more than 70 years old.
I think things were kind of purposedly mixed up - I re-read the article telling about the constitutional changes ect. and if one doesn't know the story about the old Felix, one would automatically think the current Prince Felix. Was it purposedly written that way? Dunno - anyhow it looks like very bad journalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann
As for the change of the constitution: I guess it’s about time to adapt the constitution. The Grand Duke has the constitutional right to wage a war and to suspend the parliament. This forced some criticism (e.g. in UN circles) since it’s not really in agreement with democratic standards.
I remember reading a statement of sorts given by the UN that said that women's position in Luxembourg should be promoted in all areas, not just in the succession. It has been noted for example in some Finnish how-to-do-business-in-EU manuals that women are still practically non-existing in Lux economics and that the attitudes are just a wee bit on the conservative side on the matter. So that seems like a wider issue

I thought though how literally are those rights the GD has taken? If he wanted to got to war against, say, Belgium, would there be any chance of that actually happening?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Aristocracy

Following the message's the Grand Duke must be in the Middle East... ( so good friends from Luxembourg told me so)
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Serene Highness

Pics from 11 October They commed so soon
http://luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl/l...ngeluk_de.html
Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Serene Highness

GDss Maria Teresa attending occasion of Luxembourg's Red Cross:
http://luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl/l.../11/bazar.html
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Aristocracy

I just love it how everyone else is wearing something plain and sensible and MT has an evening dress with cleavage She's not one to underdress.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

Are we allowed to link to his files again?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlusBelle
Are we allowed to link to his files again?
Yes, you can link to the files, you just can't post the actual photo in question here.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Serene Highness

State visit from Letland (?)
some actual pictures on dutch webblog:
from arrival: http://luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl/l...bezoek_le.html
from state dinner: http://luxembourgroyals.web-log.nl/l.../12/diner.html
Old 12-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

And some pictures from tomwag:
from dinner: http://tomwag.com/twg2/v/Archiv/Arch...9059.jpg.html?
http://tomwag.com/twg2/v/Archiv/Arch...9059.jpg.html?

and from yesterday: http://tomwag.com/twg2/v/Archiv/Arch...9063.jpg.html?
http://tomwag.com/twg2/v/Archiv/Arch...9063.jpg.html?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Courtier

I like this family a lot. But for some reason I think this year has taken a toll on Henri because he is looking more than a tad bit old.
He has always been very handsome to me, and he never really seems to have aged any, but in this last set of pictures, he looks very old.
MT looks very pretty. I'm glad that she is growing her hair out a little longer. very flattering to her face.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Aristocracy

The latest edition of the Swedish ladies weekly Svensk Damtidning has an article about GD Henri. According to it, he is worried about the low birth rate in Luxembourg and has promised that if any family has five children or more, he will personally become the godfather of the youngest child I don't know if the story is true, but I do think it is very charming.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Gentry

That's is so cute! Anyone know what the immigration laws are in Luxembourg?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
The latest edition of the Swedish ladies weekly Svensk Damtidning has an article about GD Henri. According to it, he is worried about the low birth rate in Luxembourg and has promised that if any family has five children or more, he will personally become the godfather of the youngest child I don't know if the story is true, but I do think it is very charming.
Interesting point, as there are several articles recently on the low birth rates among European Christians, and the resulting changes in demographics and economics (such as their heavily funded government pensions).
Old 12-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
IIRC, the King and Queen of Belgium do something similar, only they become the godparents of the seventh consecutive son or daughter born to a family.

ETA: see here. Scroll down to the bottom and read "Godchildren".

That's really sweet of GD Henri!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suturegeisha
they become the godparents of the seventh consecutive son or daughter born to a family.
the german Bundespraesident does the same
Old 12-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Nobility

there not will be photos of Christmas of the Luxemburg Royal House? I would like to see them in Christmas
Old 12-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Serene Highness

Very interesting point to preserve the population. Does anyone have any idea as to how many godchildren the King and Queen of Belgium have as of now?

Closed Thread