The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Nobility

Alex is too skinny. How old is the grand duke and is the dukess older than him?Because i thought the duck was like sixty if he is WOW!!!!!

Old 08-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Courtier

:woot: You called him a "duck"! Hahaha, wow...super great. Anyways, I think they should all go for a fatty meal, it'd do them some good. The duke is in relatively good shape for a man of 60, then. *cough* He still needs a few burgers to fill him up.

Old 08-23-2003, 09:05 PM
HuNnIbUnNi

The Grand Duke is 48 and the Duchess is 47. And I really like that you called him duck. :P LOL :P And I definately think Alex is way to skinny. But I think that family is just built like that, like high metabolisms or sumthin cause their all skinny. And i really love the pics of the Duchess she looks healthy and happy.:sideways:

:flower: HB
Old 08-31-2003, 03:02 AM
Courtier

Does anyone have any more pics of the Henri and Maria Teresa's courtship? they were so cute, and it's so wonderful to see them look so in love after that many children and family disagreements! (his mother&#33

Does anyone know the background love story of these two? They always look so handsome and in love in pictures. I know next to nothing about them, and I'd love to read (and see) more about their beginning and life. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Nobility

Well, they met in college and ended up getting married.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/profiles/henri/

Hello Magazine talks about it, too. I agree, though, they are such a fun couple and it really shows in pictures that their love has stood the test of time. They are my favorite royal couple :)
Old 09-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Heir Apparent

www.corbis.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maria_teresa.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	15979  
Old 09-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Courtier

Awww. They're as adorable now as when the married, if not even more so. Thanks to you (and marianne&#33.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Alexandra, when her father took over Luxembourg. Photo from Corbis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	alexandra.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	17396  
Old 09-24-2003, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

Is there any truth to the rumour that the GD'ess is hitting the bottle?
Old 10-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireweaver
... look so in love after that many children and family disagreements! (his mother!)
Wonder if you could direct me to the post/link about the "family disagreements" ?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
Wonder if you could direct me to the post/link about the "family disagreements" ?
I don't know that there is a specific link or thread on the internal squabbles of the Luxembourg royals. But this is my understanding of the situation within the family - although bear in mind that I've picked all this up over the years from various message boards and have not read a book on it myself and my details are a bit fuzzy.

1) Grand Duchess Josefine was "forced" to marry Grand Duke Josefine. She allegedly cried on the day of her wedding. I don't know if it was a love match for him though, or how he felt about Josefine.

2) From what I've heard, Grand Duchess Josefine doesn't like Maria Teresa too much. Not quite sure why, but I think it's much more than just a case of no woman being good enough for her son. She apparently does like Prince Guillaume's wife, Sybilla.

Not sure how much light I really shed on the situation, but hopefully others can fill in the details a bit more.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
..  this is my understanding of the situation within the family ...picked ... over the years from various message boards

1) Grand Duchess Josefine was "forced" to marry Grand Duke Jean. She allegedly cried on the day of her wedding. I don't know if it was a love match for him though, or how he felt about Josefine.
I had not heard that. That is a pity, a real pity.

Quote:
2) From what I've heard, Grand Duchess Josefine doesn't like Maria Teresa too much. Not quite sure why, but I think it's much more than just a case of no woman being good enough for her son. She apparently does like Prince Guillaume's wife, Sybilla.
I had heard once that Maria Teresa - once she became GD - poured out some of these woes to the media, and that the latter weren't too impressed at this revelation.

In looking at GD Henri, he comes across to me as being somewhat angry. On top of that, he looks to be a fitness fanatic while his wife is sort of hiding her figure; and given these opposites, I wonder if there is some element of revenge here? I heard recently from a Lux. resident that there are rumors going around of scores of mistresses for GD Henri and that GD'ss Maria is hitting the bottle. The latter could 'explain' a pudgy figure, but I wonder how much of her mental / physical state is a result of being 'dumped on' by a resentful husband and a dragon lady mother-in-law? Is it possible, that the resentment of 'mother' has moved into the next generation?
Old 10-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
1) Grand Duchess Josefine was "forced" to marry Grand Duke Josefine. She allegedly cried on the day of her wedding. I don't know if it was a love match for him though, or how he felt about Josefine.

Not sure how much light I really shed on the situation, but hopefully others can fill in the details a bit more.
Um, first of all, GD Josefine was forced to marry herself? ....I'm sure you meant Jean. Wow, that seems odd, they've been married for eons. How do they get along now?

Second: Maybe Josefine doesn't like Maria Teresa because of her Cuban-ism? I don't know, maybe she doesn't like the idea of a non-European "penetrating" into her royal family? Also, she might not like the way MT dresses...she dresses in moomoos, seriously. MT doesn't dress to flatter her image, she dresses in flowery moomoos and big satiny/velvety/shiny/metallic dresses made to fit someone with a lot more meat on them. I'm sure MT could dress more...to suit her.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey60
Um, first of all, GD Josefine was forced to marry herself? ....I'm sure you meant Jean.
Oops! I did mean Jean, thanks for correcting me moosey60. It would be pretty weird if Josefine got all dressed to marry herself!

I don't know about Maria Teresa's heritage being the reason why Josefine does not like Maria Teresa or if she was against MT because she was not of noble background or non-European. I can't see that a long-time family dispute could be over how MT dresses however. That would be pretty petty and insignificant to hold against someone who has married your son and given you grandchildren.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey60
... Also, she might not like the way MT dresses...she dresses in moomoos, seriously. MT doesn't dress to flatter her image, she dresses in flowery moomoos and big satiny/velvety/shiny/metallic dresses made to fit someone with a lot more meat on them. I'm sure MT could dress more...to suit her.
Hard to do, if you want to hide "a lot more meat".
Old 10-13-2003, 06:51 AM
Courtier

royal family with royal pet dogs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lux1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	21285  

Old 10-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Royal Highness

State Visit to Denmark, October 20 - 22, 2003

From the "Glittering Royal Events Message Board"

http://members3.boardhost.com/Oranjes/msg/22335.html

" Monday: GD's will be officially greeted by Queen Margarethe and Prince Henrik, along with Prince Frederick, Princess Alexandra and Princess Benedikte. A private luncheon follows. In the afternoon, GD Henri will attend a meeting on biotechnology, while GD Maria Teresa will visit the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art situated on the site of the "Danish Riviera." (" The museum's name has an interesting story: the original landowner had a succession of three wives, all named Louise.") The gala dinner given by Queen Margarethe will be held at Chateau Fredensborg.

Tuesday: GD Henri and MT will accompany Prince Frederick to North Jutland where Henri will open a new research lab at the University and Maria Teresa will visit an elementary school considered as a model for intergrating handicapped children into its classrooms. They will also visit North Jutland Museum designed by Alvar Aalto. They will fly back to Copenhagen for the return dinner followed by a performance of the Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestre.

Wednesday: GD Henri will speak before the Danish President and Parliment on trade issues, while Maria Teresa visits the Royal Copenhagen factory. After a farwell luncheon, GD Henri and MT will make a private visit with Queen Margarethe to Odense to see her art exhibit."
Old 10-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Monday: GD's will be officially greeted by Queen Margarethe and Prince Henrik, along with Prince Frederick, Princess Alexandra and Princess Benedikte.
Isn't this something Mary should start to be included in?
Old 10-20-2003, 06:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalmey
Hello Magazine talks about it, too. I agree, though, they are such a fun couple and it really shows in pictures that their love has stood the test of time. They are my favorite royal couple :)
Except for the nasty rumour being spread around by Josephine Charlotte that Henri was having an affair with the foreign minister. This came from Maria Teresa's own mouth at a press confrence at the Palace. She also said that her mother-in-law went around calling her the little Cuban.

Quote:
Is there any truth to the rumour that the GD'ess is hitting the bottle?
I'm not sure, but I have pictures of her going back a long way. The other day I was looking at pictures of her from just 1997 & she's gained a lot of weight really quickly. Maybe it is the stress of being Grand Duchess or maybe there is some truth to the rumour about the Grand Duke. Who knows.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Aristocracy

Not to be impolite, but the way her weight is going, it is pretty hard on another spouse, I figure, unless he is fond of a chubby wife. Looking at maria's younger pictures, she is quite cute, lovely, and adorable, but at some point, she just let go, and that is extremely unwise. She is in an image showing business, and drastic weigh gain is almost like a sin, just looking at Sara Furgerson. I know it's pretty hard to control one's weigh, but she has resources to do it, I wonder, why she is not a little bit more consicous about it. Maybe she just needs mental support from her family, I wonder though what her country men thing of her?