Royals Who are attending Sochi Winter Olympics 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
sochi-2014-logo.jpg

Royals Who Are Attending
the 2014 Sochi Olympics;
7-23 February 2014

olympics-flag-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:
The Dutch government has decided to send the king, queen, prime minister and the minister of foreign affairs to the Olympic winter games. Other countries like Germany, France and the US decided not to send the highest representation.

Grand DUke Henri will also be attending the games.

Last edited:
:previous:
It is nice to see sensible European governments. The Swiss President is said be attending the upcoming Games.

The Dutch contingent seems pretty huge.. Anyways UK is just sending Annie with Timmie..

I am not sure if they will all be coming at the same time. Probably not: the winter holidays of the king and queen are schedueled in the same period (the RVD announced a photoshoot at Feb. 17th).

There is quite some criticism by the opposition about this idiotically high representation to such a regime. But I suppose the Dutch government has weak knees after the diplomatic fights with Russia in 2013. I would have preferred it if they didn't send anybody at all. Or a junior minister/royal at best. Anyway, there was a simular discussion about China, WA still went. And I am sure there will be a simular (though less heated) discussion about the Qatar World Cup in a few years. Thankfully it will be Brazil's turn first.

For Belgium the PM is not attending, I am not sure about the king/RF though. David Cameron also will not attend.

Last edited:
Cheap European dramas and pearl clutching aside ... I wonder who will represent Japan and other Asian royal families.

Last edited:
I'm happy the United States won't be sending anyone of importance to Russia. It will be far too dangerous over there and any U.S. citizen will probably be a target. I'm actually quite worried about the American athletes who will be there. I don't think the Russian government can provide enough security for everyone. It's going to be a very stressful two weeks.

Cheap European dramas and pearl clutching aside ... I wonder who will represent Japan and other Asian royal families.

Hardly cheap european dramas really? Russia's attitude to all things equal is abhorrent.

Last edited:
Russia does not command any country to attend. It is within rights of a particular country or its politicians to abstain from attending the Games. Issuing righteous proclamations is childish.

Last edited:
Of course it is, and they're abstaining for a damn good reason. The fact you're criticising the reason is the issue.

The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. That is all.

I read on the Norway thread that the king and Queen are going, as well as Haakon

I'm wondering if Infanta Pilar of Spain will attend,must see what I can find out.

I ma really quite surprised, after the boycott of the last Russian Olympics, that Putin picked this point to issue those anti gay laws.

"HRH Crown Prince Frederik participating in the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia on 4-8th February"
Im guessing he is attending IOC meetings beforehand.

I think we should think separately of the royals attending the Olympics in their capacity as IOC members and their nation's sports patrons and those who are sent by their governments as representatives on more official level. Thus, IMO the King should be the only VIP from the Netherlands attending the events. Not attending at all would be inappropriate for him as the athletes competing in the Olympics and the Olympic movement itself has (or should have) nothing to do with Russian politicis. First of all, it's a sports event on a top level led by the organisation of which he is a member, advocate and representative (at least on the national level).

Last edited:
CP Frederik is now listed as attending the Olympics during two times; "HRH Crown Prince participating in the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia on 4-8th February and 17-22nd February."
Im guessing the 4th through the 8th is more as member of the IOC.

Grand Duke Henri and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg will attend the Games, as will Princess Nora of Liechtenstein.

Regarding Frederik
"HRH The Crown Prince is present at the Winter Olympics on 4 - 8th February and 17 - 22nd February 2014 in Sochi , Russia.

The Crown Prince is in his capacity as a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) present at this year's Winter Olympics, to be held in Sochi , Russia. Prior to the Games participant Crown Prince on 5 - 7th February of the IOC's 126 session.

In addition, Crown Prince among others present at the official opening of the Games , to be held at the Olympic Stadium in the host city . Similarly, the Crown Prince in the latter part of the Games to attend competitions with participation of Danish athletes."

Vinter-OL 2014 - Kongehuset

The royals always attend the Olympics in some capacity.

Thanks for the photos!
Princess Anne appears quite cheerful talking with President Putin.

Back
Top Bottom