2014 Winter Games in Sochi

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duke of Marmalade

Imperial Majesty
City
Frankfurt am Main
Country
Germany
Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics - Olympic Tickets, Schedules, Games, News

The 22nd Winter Olympics are scheduled to take place from 6 to 23 February 2014, in Sochi, Russia. Ninety-eight events in fifteen winter sports will be held.

I am curious what royals/dignitaries/celebrities we will see there as some controversial issues like russian policies towards human rights in the wider sense or terrorist threads surround the games.

Eg, nobody from Germany will attend, President Gauck, a theologist and freedom fighter, has cancelled his appearance in protest against Russia's human rights/gay rights policies, Angela Merkel said she wasnt scheduled to attend anyway, Putin might disagree here.

Frankly, I'm enjoying the US response. The delegation we are sending includes Billie Jean King, Brian Boitano and Caitlin Cahow - all great athletes who also are gay. King was an Olympic coach and Cahow and Boitano are Olympic Medalists. It's such an in your face Mr. Putin response.

Oh and I don't think PM and Co. got the memo about the rainbow symbolism. Or maybe someone did and this was an overt statement: http://images.theage.com.au/2013/12/27/5037477/1388112317945.jpg-620x349.jpg :lol:

I too am delighted our Prime Minister has declined to attend this FARCE in a country that deprives its GLBTG citizens human rights [in direct contravention of the Olympic Charter]

I'm sure no members of the Royal Family will attend either...

I'm sure no members of the Royal Family will attend either...
What about those royals who are members of the International Olympic Committee, for example the Princess Royal and prince Albert of Monaco? Can they choose to stay away or do they have some duties during the Games, for example award medals?

The athlete who has been chosen to lead Team Canada into the Opening Ceremonies as Flag Bearer will be announced tomorrow during a special Press Conference in Ottawa. It starts at 10am EST and will be covered for sure on both CBC's and CTV's News channels and possibly TSN and Sportsnet, but not as sure about those as I am about the news channels.

Now...Who will it be?

For once, I haven't got a feeling on who it is. Usually I do, but not this time.

I don't think it's going to be a figure skater, simply because the Team Event actually starts the day before the Opening Ceremonies and they'll be focused on that. Same goes for a few others who compete the day after the Opening too. Plus, there's so many returnees from Vancouver who are Defending Olympic Champions...It really could be anyone and still be considered a fantastic choice.

Only a few more hours to go!!

Turned out to be Hayley Wickenheiser . Canada is airing the Olympics Opening Ceremony at 8am PST till 11am. At 11am the encore presentation will be aired

Frankly, I'm enjoying the US response. The delegation we are sending includes Billie Jean King, Brian Boitano and Caitlin Cahow - all great athletes who also are gay. King was an Olympic coach and Cahow and Boitano are Olympic Medalists. It's such an in your face Mr. Putin response.

While I don't agree with Putin's policies, the USA's approach strikes me as daring Putin to cause an International Incident. Would it not be better to go the boycott route?

Praying for the safety of everyone, just in case!:)

I think the U.S. has learned its lesson on boycotting from the past. I doubt that they'll go that route again.

While I don't agree with Putin's policies, the USA's approach strikes me as daring Putin to cause an International Incident. Would it not be better to go the boycott route?

Praying for the safety of everyone, just in case!:)

Well, our Olympic team and delegation have not had issues in the past with PDAs at the games. They are there for a purpose. They get that.

On an Olympics related issue, CBS reported on Twitter that athletes in the village are being asked to not flush used toilet paper. Rather, they should throw it out.
This tells me there may be waste-water treatment capacity issues in the area. That would be a real drag.

Well, our Olympic team and delegation have not had issues in the past with PDAs at the games. They are there for a purpose. They get that.

On an Olympics related issue, CBS reported on Twitter that athletes in the village are being asked to not flush used toilet paper. Rather, they should throw it out.
This tells me there may be waste-water treatment capacity issues in the area. That would be a real drag.

At least they're able to use toilet paper and perhaps knowing this issue, they can bring those new wet wipes out on the market for disposal. At least they weren't told they'd be supplied with corn cobs. :D

Does anyone in Europe, especially Great Britain (they speak English, I speak English, and I only understand English) have a link they can share so some of us Americans can watch the opening ceremonies live? Though I prefer a link from GB, I'll take anything.

Opening ceremony is live on Www.cbcnews.ca , CBC News iPad app and CBC TV Channel. Hope it helps?

You mean NBC is going to stick w/the "Everything must be in Prime Time, so let's pretend this is live when everywhere else in the World got to watch live & as it happened hours ago!!" stupidity!?! Really!?!

Idiots!!

I really hope someone's able to help you out.

OMG...CBC's showing behind the scenes stuff w/the Athletes getting ready for The Parade of Nations and Germany are wearing Rainbow Coloured outfits!!

Love. It!! Not that there's anything more to it than it just being the design of course...Regardless, love it!!

Oh and for those who saw my last post in the Figure Skating thread...I've seen Megan and Eric's Short Program from yesterday and the start of the Team Event 3 times and all 3 times I was a Royal Mess. But a really good Royal Mess. :D

And awwwwwway we go!! My vote for final Torch Bearer is Tretiak BTW.

Opening ceremony is live on Www.cbcnews.ca , CBC News iPad app and CBC TV Channel. Hope it helps?

It's Geoblocked. I saw more than a few complaints from Cdns overseas wanting to watch the skating coverage & unable to due to that.

You mean NBC is going to stick w/the "Everything must be in Prime Time, so let's pretend this is live when everywhere else in the World got to watch live & as it happened hours ago!!" stupidity!?! Really!?!

Idiots!!

I really hope someone's able to help you out.

OMG...CBC's showing behind the scenes stuff w/the Athletes getting ready for The Parade of Nations and Germany are wearing Rainbow Coloured outfits!!

Love. It!! Not that there's anything more to it than it just being the design of course...Regardless, love it!!

Oh and for those who saw my last post in the Figure Skating thread...I've seen Megan and Eric's Short Program from yesterday and the start of the Team Event 3 times and all 3 times I was a Royal Mess. But a really good Royal Mess. :D

And awwwwwway we go!! My vote for final Torch Bearer is Tretiak BTW.

Yes, NBC is waiting until tonight. :rolleyes: (that is supposed to rolling eyes, and there is NOT a smile on my face.

Anyone from Spain attend? Didn't see many royals shown on tv except for Albert and Charlene

I lived in Ukraine for some time - in a large city - and used toilet tissue was also discarded into the trash, not the toilet. It's not uncommon in other countries.

Is it odd that there's been no doping scandals yet? Or are they just not as common as they are at the summer games? I cant remember.

:previous: Unfortunately ...
German biathlete and Italian bobsledder thrown out of Winter Olympics after testing positive for banned substances | Mail Online

It is somewhat surprising. Russia did a bit of talent poaching. First I read about Victor Ahn from South Korea. Now Mr. Wild is skiing for the Russia Federation. Despite unsuccessful performance in hockey (men), hopefully Russia will retain its top position in medal count.

American snowboard defector wins two gold for RUSSIA! Slalom star who gave up his US citizenship after marrying Moscow snowboarder triumphs in Sochi | Mail Online

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom