2014 Paralympic Winter Games, Sochi; 7-16 March 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
sochi-2014-logo.jpg

Following the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics,

the 2014 Paralympic Games will take place in Sochi from March 7-16, 2014.

Advance information concerning the schedule, athletes, the sports and much more can be found at

the official website: Sochi 2014 Paralympics - Paralympic Tickets, Sports & Schedule - Sochi 2014 Paralympic winter Games

Enjoy and happy posting!

I understand that Princess Margriet of the Netherlands will attend the Sotchi Paralympic Games from March 7 till March 16th.

Princess Märtha Louise attends the Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi 10 - 14 March.

The Earl of Wessex was supposed to attend from the 11th of March onwards. Depending on how things will escalate in the Ukraine, it wouldn't be surprising if some officials (or even teams) will be forced by their governments to stay home.

Edward is no longer attending.

BBC Breaking News@BBCBreaking 2m
Prince Edward will not go to Sochi Paralympic Games in Russia on advice of UK government, Buckingham Palace says. http://bbc.in/MGHbPy

Too bad. These countries really need to get it together. Make you sick and upset to turn on the news because if it's not one thing, it's another.

Then again, there are so many things that has to come to pass.

I suspect several other royals may cancel their plans to attend.

I suspect several other royals may cancel their plans to attend.

depends on their governments position. UK are not sending ministers and therefore cant send the representative of the Head of State.

Annika Sönnerberg, the Deputy Director of the Information and Press Department of the swedish court, said today to Expressen that there hasn't come any changes to crown princess Victoria's plans to attend at the Paralympics.
Victoria till Sotji - men prins Edward ställer in Nyheter Expressen

I think the decision of Victoria's trip is taken just before it, consulting the swedish government.

Last edited:
I just dont underdtand why Putin is doing this. We just had the winter Olympic games and the theme I thought was that Russia wanted to be seen as part of a better world where everyone is trying to get along. At least that is what I understood during the opening ceremonies. Russia wanted all the world to see that she is ready and willing to be a part of a friendship with other countries. This is a direct contradiction. Sorry all, Im just confused.

I just dont underdtand why Putin is doing this. We just had the winter Olympic games and the theme I thought was that Russia wanted to be seen as part of a better world where everyone is trying to get along. At least that is what I understood during the opening ceremonies. Russia wanted all the world to see that she is ready and willing to be a part of a friendship with other countries. This is a direct contradiction. Sorry all, Im just confused.

This post won't be about the Paralympics, so sorry to the mods.

I bet Putin is furious that this is going on just after he spent 50bil on the Olympic games.

But the truth is that Russia has defined itself for the better part of 200 years as the leader of Eastern Europe and a counterweight to Western power in Europe and Asia. A big part of that is the Ukraine (and other Eastern European nations), of which a big part of the population is ethnically and linguistically tied to Russia and historically part of a buffer for Russia.

Putin didn't want to lose that.

This is a real shame but I can completely understand the countries reasons for not sending representatives. It's not safe for the person attending either, and if I had been Sophie or Daniel or any spouse I would not have wanted my other half to go.

I apologize to the mods. I got carried away. This is about the paralympic games. Shall we continue?

A very logical reaction, there are few who do not get carried away with this matter, once started.

But indeed, let's focus on the event itself and not on the Russian politics.

Can I provide an answer that covers both?

Rick Hansen, for those who don't know who he is, he went around the World in his Wheelchair in the late 80's on his Man in Motion tour and also considered a Canadian hero for all he's done for Disabled awareness and research into Spinal Cord Injuries, said something rather interesting the other day....

He's afraid those venues will be for the most part empty because it's the Paralympics. He said reality wise, Russia is still very much at least 30-35 years behind the rest of the Major/G8 Countries when it comes to awareness of just what Disabled people can do. Rick mentioned a good deal of that simply has to do w/the Culture, and while things are improving, it's at the level where Canada/USA/UK/other similar Nations were in the late 80's. He's also worried that because "Oh, it's only the Paralympics." security won't be as tight and the Paralympics end up being the true target of Terrorists. Frankly, and I hate saying this, I've had my own suspicions about that too.

I've checked the website of the show he was on where he said this, but all there is, is a listing of the guests on each day. When Rick Hansen says something like this though, and combine what's going on in the Crimea/Ukraine right now, I know I pay attention.

I really hope he's wrong.

Apparently the CBC will be covering the Opening Ceremonies live Friday starting at 2pm EST. Already better coverage than the CTV Super Group of Networks provided of both Vancouver and London Paralympics combined!!

Sonja Gaudet, Second for our Wheelchair Curling team, has been announced as Canada's Flag Bearer for tomorrow's Opening Ceremonies. She's a multiple World Champion and two time and defending Paralympic Champion in Wheelchair Curling. Can't wait to see her leading in Team Canada tomorrow!!

I've also heard that both Men's and Women's Gold Medal winning teams in Hockey and Curling have sent messages to the Sledge Hockey and Wheelchair Curling teams of both support and also telling them to make it 3 for 3 Gold Medals from Sochi!!

Can't wait for things to get going tomorrow!!!

From the Facebook of the swedish royal court:
The Crown Princess has today sent a telegram to the Swedish participants before the Paralympics start tonight: "I send my warmest congratulations to the entire Swedish Paralympic squad with hopes of good performance and great memories. Victoria "

I got to watch wheelchair curling and loved every minute of it. Canada won Gold.

Back
Top Bottom