King Albert II Announces his Abdication: July 3rd 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now all the newspapers and all the news of the tv announce that king Albert will announce his abdication.

They do not have that tradition in Belgium. The new monarch simply swears and oath before Parliament, and usually some MP will interupt and yell out "Vivre La Repulique".

Oh dear I hope that won't happen again.

The message is already recording, according to VTM.
They don't know if Mathilde and Filip have been informed or if they know it for a long time. I'm curious to know that :)

Why is Philippe not popular?

Someone remarked up thread that Philippe is not popular. Is there a particular reason?

Wow very exciting news. I wonder if he will acknowledge Delphine after the abdication ?

I doubt the announcement will come as a complete shock to Philippe and Mathilde. It is not a surprise party after all.

I'm not going to say that I didn't see this coming. I actually thought he would hang on for another couple of years though. I've heard for a while that the Belgians don't like Philippe, why don't they like him?

Many people think he is a stiff person, and that he lacks too much of the Dutch language. This is on the Flemish side. The Walloon people are more royalists than the Flemish population. Many people are also against the royal family because 'they cost too much money' and stuff.

i think our new king and queen will do a wonderful job!

Kathy Pauwels from Royalty just said that Filip will ascend the throne on 21 july, the same day of the abdication ...

Well I am pretty sure Philippe and Mathilde already knew beforehand. I wonder what the reaction of the Belgian people will be once he has announced his abdication.

Well I am pretty sure Philippe and Mathilde already knew beforehand. I wonder what the reaction of the Belgian people will be once he has announced his abdication.

Some journalists went on the street and said that the king will abdicate. Many surprised faces :D Some didn't believe it at first, I think because not long ago they did the same thing, but then obviously when it wasn't true :D

Do you think it's possible that if there is an abdication that Philippe and Mathilde might try to start something new in an inauguration ceremony? Do you think it would help national spirit? Although, there wouldn't be much time to have something grand if they plan to have it at the end of July.

I am not a big fan of abdications, but I think this one will do significantly more good than harm. At least Mathilde, as a rather young queen, might be able to bring some credit to the monarchy. Having an heir apparent who is 11 rather than an heir apparent who is 53 might also signify new hope and renewal and that sort of [-]crap[/-]stuff :)biggrin:).

Im in Brussels between 19-22 July.... This is exciting.

On twitter we already saw #trixit, but the Belgians now have #rexit.

--
It now has been confirmed by a government member that on July 21st Philippe will be installed as the 7th king of the Belgians.

-
Apparently there were two options for the abdication: July 21st or November 17th (King's Day). The chose the earliest option due to Delphine Boël.

-
Prime Minister Elio di Rupo will hold a speech at 18:15.

-
The press is remarkably positive btw.

livestream:

http://www.rtbf.be/livecenter/live_edition-speciale-abdication-du-roi?id=48586

Last edited:
Samitude, I hope they will! Some kind of festivity would be nice. When Belgium celebrated 175 years of existence, that was a succes. There was a song, dance festivities etc. Many people attended them.

I will not be able to attend anything of the inauguration because I had surgery last week :(

Kotroman, I agree with you :D How would prince Charles feel today ;)

Now I think of it, Queen Maxima and King Willem-Alexander will visit Belgium in september or october. Filip and Mathilde will have to go to the Netherlands first, no?

Oh, that's exciting. Will you try to see the royal family if you can?

Yes, we are staying between the Palace and Grand Place so well in the mix. I will look out for the schedule of events.

He is definitely announcing his abdication?

Every single broadcasting agency is announcing that he most probably will Lumutqueen. If he doesn't... then the joke's on them :)

The Delphine Boël story is it the dealbeaker why he abdicates?

It starts with the brabançonne.

I am deeply moved to say, that in the year that I reached my 80th year, an age that none of my predecessors reached. My age and my health don't allow me to do my duty as I want to.

I would not do my duty, and not honor my function if I would stay in this function at all costs. It is a question of elementary respect for the institutions and the Belgian citizens.

Prince Philippe has been prepared well to succeed. He enjoys, with princess Mathilde, my fullest confidence. Overtime,and with the economic missions abroad, the prince proved how dedicated he isto the country. Above all I learned that our country can count on you, my dear countrymen.

With serenity and faith, I announce that I will abdicate on July 21st, for the successor, Prince Philippe.

(...)

On July 20th I will speak to you again as usual. And after that I will, with the queen and the new king and queen, be present at the ceremonies of July 21st.

(...)

I found it an honour and pleasure that I have dedicated a large part of my life to the service of our country and people. Queen Paola and I will never forget the ties that grew between us and the country. We thank you for your faith, sympathy, also with some criticism. (...) We keep so many memories of numerous meetings, in happy days and days of sadness. The end of my reign does not mean that our roads go seperate ways. On the contrary! Long live Belgium

Brabanconne.

The VRT reporter says that the king used a simular explanation as pope Benedikt. Queen Paola was in the room when the king announced the abdication.

The king wanted to keep it natural and was standing in front of his desk. The king wanted the portrait of kingLeopold I behind him. The king was moved and overed a drink and a toast with the people present. He told thepeople in the room informally was inspired by Queen Beatrix. Queen Paola looked at details, make-up, tie etc.

Last edited:
Will Mathilde be Queen or Queen Consort?

Like her predecessors, she will be a queen consort (that being the description of her status; notice that the words are uncapitalized as that is not a formal title) with the title of Queen of the Belgians.

Wow, another European monarch stepping down this year for the sake of younger generation.

Forgive me for bringing this up, but one has to wonder if Prince Charles is going insane now. I'm being facetious, a little :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom