The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Abdication & Installation 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

This evening perhaps we will have 3 Queens ....

Old 07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
it cant be compered to other countries abdikation has happned in belgium before
Only once, during wartime. Leopold had to abdicate. Albert will be the first one tot do it voluntarily.

I hope he will see this as a chance for getting things right with Delphine too. And I'm sure he will be happy not to have to lead the forming of the government next year. That must have been too hard on him last time.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
it cant be compered to other countries abdikation has happned in belgium before

Yes for one time afther the second war (the father of King Albert and Boudewijn) but it was necessary, there was a constitutional crisis. The way like today, it is the first time in Belgium.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
This evening perhaps we will have 3 Queens ....

I think this is unique?? Are there country's with 3 or more Queens?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Courtier

Any speculation on the installation or coronation of Phillipe as King? Do you think it will be handled as was in The Netherlands?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Majesty

I'll be tuning in at 6pm.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 07-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
Maybe when he is prince again, he has the feeling that he is a bit more free to acknowledge Delhine as his daughter and that it draws less attention after his abdication.
Don't think he will become Prince again as his father was also styled as King Leopold after his abdication. And if i understand it right at the moment he is protected as King because of the Constitution and does not have to give an DNA Test. Probably after and abdication this is not the case anymore.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

According to the BRT1 the counsil of ministers will meet at 17:30.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Any speculation on the installation or coronation of Phillipe as King? Do you think it will be handled as was in The Netherlands?
I think not. Albert said the oath in parliament. The only 'fancy' thing there was the throne. Belgium doesn't even have a crown as far as I now, so no tradition here unfortunately. Filip did say he hoped an inauguration like in the Netherlands would be possible. He was 'surprised' about the warmth of the people and that so many people attended in Holland.

The news just said that the message will be recordered at 17.30 so that little or no information could be leaked.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

So, would his successor have a coronation, like in the UK?
Or an Investiture like in the Netherlands?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Courtier

For those of us not up on Belgium and their Royal Family who is likely to take over? Wow it does seem to be the year of abdications I don't see it being a big trend though. I guess that means that there will be a Coronation to look forward too? It the Heir someone the people like? Sorry to be so ignorant I don't usually follow the Belgium Royals but this is very interesting. It is a rare thing for a Monarch to abdicate and to have two in one year is something special.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC News - Belgium's King Albert II 'to abdicate'
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
I think this is unique?? Are there country's with 3 or more Queens?
The United Kingdom had 3 Queens for a short period.
From the death of George VI in February 1952 to the death of Queen Mary in March 1953:

Queen Elizabeth II, the Sovereign
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, consort of George VI
Queen Mary, consort of George V
Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
For those of us not up on Belgium and their Royal Family who is likely to take over?
King Albert's eldest son Philippe and his wife Mathilde will become King and Queen.
And Philippe and Mathilde have four children, two sons and two daughters. Their first child Elisabeth will be the new heiress and becoming the Duchess of Brabant.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Royal Highness

i think the king Albert will announce his abdication this evening because there is a speech of the prime minister just after the speech of the king., the very serious newspaper ' Le Soir' thinks also there will be an announce of abdication.

I am excited because I like a lot Prince Philippe and Mathilde.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Majesty

We are now 146 people in this thread growning in numbers..
i think at the birth of prince christian of denmark there were 2600 people in the same thread
Old 07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Nobility

but if the "celebrations" will be held on the 21 july? would many royals crown prince families don't be on vacations around the world judging by it is in the middle of the summer holiday? or will the celebration just be a little private one? thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
So, would his successor have a coronation, like in the UK?
Or an Investiture like in the Netherlands?
They do not have that tradition in Belgium. The new monarch simply swears and oath before Parliament, and usually some MP will interupt and yell out "Vivre La Republique".
Old 07-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The new monarch simply swears and oath before Parliament, and usually some MP will interupt and yell out "Vivre La Repulique".
I love how you made it sound like it's something that is supposed to happen, as if it were an integral part of the ceremony. In fact, it took me a second or two to realize that it's not!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

I'm not going to say that I didn't see this coming. I actually thought he would hang on for another couple of years though. I've heard for a while that the Belgians don't like Philippe, why don't they like him?

Tags
abdication, king albert ii