The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Abdication & Installation 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Some more news:

Article about the events of yesterday.
The King let his wish to abdicate know at the prime minister by letter yesterday morning. Article
From the letter we learn that they allready discussed an abdication and that di Rupo asked him to take some time to reflect/reconsider.

The prime minister, Elio di Rupo, announced the abdication officially in the parliament today.
There was some laughter when di Rupo told that after the meeting with the King and the ministers yesterday he contacted Philippe to tell him about 'the situation'. At the laughter di Rupo reacted: It is my job to tell him. video

After the prime minister's speech the politicians started to debate about the role of the monarchy, going toward a more ceremonial monarchy or abolish it all. But nothing constitutional can change now. Probably these questions will be raised again after the next elections in 2014.

After the 21st Albert will lose his inviolobility. What this will mean for the court case of Delphine Boël, we'll have to wait and see. From what I know in Belgium it is not possible to have your DNA tested against your will.
Article (I had to laugh with the google translation of this. Souvereign in Dutch is Vorst, which also means frost. So the Frost in the title is Albert)

King Albert's last official visit before the 21st will be on the 19th to the City of Liège. He was Prince of Liège before he became King.

Bellewaerde Zoo named a baby giraffe Albert, it was born yesterday.

Philippe will become the new King of the Belgians and Albert will be just King.

Philippe was in Antwerp today and made a short declaration. He wants to hounor his father and is well aware of his responsabilities. He ended with saying: See you on the 21st!

The first euro coins with King Philippe will be released in 2014.

Philippe choses a Flemish dipomat as his new Chief of Cabinet. Article

Princess Elisabeth's role will not change for now. cute video

And a nice article about the women behind Philippe.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Courtier

Do we know what will happen to the other members of the Royal Family after the King abdicates? Will Princess Astrid still carry out public duties and receive an allowance or now? Likewise for Prince Laurent? I think I read that Albert will continue to receieve an allowance.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Ican see Margrethe abdicate in 2017, or making Henrik king as a golden wedding anversary gift, so that he finally will become the head of the family officially, the way he wants it to be.
Yes, he would like to, but the Parliament says no!

More likely, and in my opinon much better and about time too, he will finally officially be know as Prince Henri.

However, QMII's has back problems and so has Prince Henrik, so the thought that QMII might abdicate is not as far out as it used to be, where she said she would stay until she dropped from the perch.
And I would welcome that. QMII has done a tremendous job but it might be about time to start a new tradition. Retirering at a certain age, which also ensure that the transition is a joyous rather than sad occasion.
Another matter is that people are expected to live longer. Frederik, and King Willem-Alexander can both expect to live well into their 90's, with their children being around 60 before it's their turn. And they again can expect to live for more than 100 years.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Ican see Margrethe abdicate in 2017, or making Henrik king as a golden wedding anversary gift, so that he finally will become the head of the family officially, the way he wants it to be.
That would certainly make his day. I am sure he has fantasized about it many times. Would also make for interesting constitutional news.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina RdC View Post
Short articles with photos in honour of King Albert and Queen Paola:
More:
Abdication du roi Albert II: les dates clés de sa vie en... (1) - Lavenir.net
...royal visits to the Belgian provinces: Abdication d'Albert II: le roi chez vous en images (1) - Lavenir.net; http://www.lavenir.net/article/detai...MF20130704_005; http://www.lavenir.net/article/detai...MF20130704_006; http://www.lavenir.net/article/detai...30704_00332283 from the abdication special http://www.lavenir.net/channel/index...d=550&pageid=1
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Nobility

One question, when Elisabeth turns 18, does she have to swear as senator as King Albert's children did?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Courtier

Let this be the fourth and LAST abdication of all time. Pray for the health and happiness of all Kings and Queens around the world, long may they reign over their countries.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Nobility

Ephram I think that abdication will become more and more a common habit in Royal Families. First because of the longer life expectancy (I wouldn't want to rule my country till 100 yo and leave it then to a 70yo man/woman...ruling needs fresh energy, both in mind and body). and secondly because of the representative functions a Sovereign has now, he/she is required to go abroad, lots of travels...it's not a matter of politics anymore, and one doesn't necessarily needs politics expertise...and this go back to point 1, one needs to have strenght (you can see the difference between QEII that leaves her children/grandchildren going abroad on her behalf and King Willem Alexander that is going back and forth everyday).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
One question, when Elisabeth turns 18, does she have to swear as senator as King Albert's children did?
if the rules will be the same by them, I think they will. but apparently both King Albert and the Parliament agree for a change of the RF position, so that it becomes more representative than political...
Old 07-05-2013, 03:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
if the rules will be the same by them, I think they will. but apparently both King Albert and the Parliament agree for a change of the RF position, so that it becomes more representative than political...
Maybe only Elisabeth will swear? and her siblings won't? that depends on how Philippe manages to deal with this issue.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Maybe only Elisabeth will swear? and her siblings won't? that depends on how Philippe manages to deal with this issue.
it all depends whether the Princes will still be Senators by right (like they are now) or not...

from Wikipedia

Quote:
Senators by right[edit]
These are the children of the King, older than 18, or if there are none, the Belgian descendants of the main branch of the Royal house, who have taken the oath of office. Having reached the age of 21, the Senators by Right are in theory entitled to vote, but in practice they do not cast their vote. They are not counted towards the required quorum, therefore, to pass a valid vote, 36 of the 71 senators have to be present.
There are currently three Senators by Right: Prince Philippe, Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks for the information Marchesina.
I don't think it is gonna be a problem, because they are only senators in name.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Can you explain, please.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Nobility

I do not think nor hope that any of the scandinavian monarchs and QEII in UK abdicates.

The only other abdication i would want to see is in Spain. To save their young monarchy.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I do not think nor hope that any of the scandinavian monarchs and QEII in UK abdicates.

The only other abdication i would want to see is in Spain. To save their young monarchy.
There is no way QEII will abdicate!

I agree with Spain as well -it's time!

Seeing there this year is going to be crazy!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Aristocracy

Regarding the senator question - Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent will be no longer members of the senate when their brother has taken the oath. And there is a reform of the senate underway and it looks like all senators by right will be abolished which means that neitherPrincess Elisabeth nor her siblings will be members of the senate in the future.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the heads up, Mara.

It's for the best, that senators by right thing doesn't really mean anything to be honest.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mara* View Post
Regarding the senator question - Princess Astrid and Prince Laurent will be no longer members of the senate when their brother has taken the oath. And there is a reform of the senate underway and it looks like all senators by right will be abolished which means that neitherPrincess Elisabeth nor her siblings will be members of the senate in the future.
Thank you- I didn't understand it originally.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The new king will sign with the French 'Philippe' instead of the Dutch 'Filip'. Let's see what the reaction in Flanders will be....

Belgische prins Filip wordt koning Philippe - Nieuws - VK
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Serene Highness

With which name did King Baudouin/Boudewijn sign?

It's a good thing that Elisabeth and Mathilde is written them same in Dutch.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
The new king will sign with the French 'Philippe' instead of the Dutch 'Filip'. Let's see what the reaction in Flanders will be....

Belgische prins Filip wordt koning Philippe - Nieuws - VK
they surely will start complaining...but it's not his fault I think, he was baptised as Philippe, he has been called Philippe his whole life, if that's the name he's more comfortable with people should respect that. it's the same thing that happen with Willem Alexander, when people expected him to be just called Willem because of the tradition. I know Flemishes want their sovereign to represent them as well as the francophone, but Philippe (or Filip) and Mathilde made so much things to respect the flemish part of the country (above all making their children attending a Flemish school) that I don't think a way to write and read a name is something that can disrespect a population.
moreover I think they will call him Koning Filip as they did before

Tags
abdication, king albert ii