Belgian Abdication & Installation: Changes in Titles, Dotation and the Court

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leidi

Serene Highness
City
Country
United Arab Emirates
Is he really using Philippe II? wasn't he going by just Philippe like Baudouin did?

I thougt it was just going to be King Philippe since he is the first Belgian King with the naam Philippe. I another King would be names Philippe in the future he will become King Philippe I

that's the general rule. I guess it's just the press getting confused. I remember it happened the same with the new pope. for a couple of days, people kept on calling him Francesco I (Francis I) until the Vatican Press Office explained one and for all what was the right way the write the name. so I think that's the same kind of situation

No, I meant the thread goes with "Philippe II", Philippe the SECOND and as far as I know he'll be the first, that's why I am confused...

why should he use Philippe II if he's the first? No, no he'll be just King Philippe (Roi Philippe, Koning Filip). when there will be a Philippe II, he will be known as Philippe/Filip I then.

They will be no ermine Glitter but new Royal Uniforms and of Course the Leopold Sash for both. This Order has no Collar.

Te Deum :
Kine Albert II in his bleu Uniform of General 4 Stars , Philippe will wear for the last time his Crown Prince Uniform

Abdication :
Same Uniforms

Oath:
King Philippe will wear a brand new brown King's Uniform ( his Father had to borrow one for his Oath in the hurry). King Albert will wear I suppose no Uniform.

Royal Defilé :
King Philippe his brand new Uniform General 4 Stars and King Albert ?

Last edited:
Official :
The future King will sign Philippe for French , Filip for Dutch and Philipp for German.

Official :
The future King will sign Philippe for French , Filip for Dutch and Philipp for German.
So all three signatures for any documents. Hopefully this should satisfy everyone.

So once phillippe becomes king will he still be duke of Brabant and what of elisabeth will she be crown princess elisabeth of the Belgians or is that until a certain age?

The title of Duke of Brabant is reserved for the eldest child of the King (or Queen) of the Belgians. Thus when Philippe becomes King, his eldest child Princess Elisabeth will immediately become the Duchess of Brabant.
She won't be titled Crown Princess of Belgium, actually this title doesn't exist officially; she'll be HRH the Duchess of Brabant or HRH Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Duchess of Brabant.

She won't be titled Crown Princess of Belgium, actually this title doesn't exist officially; she'll be HRH the Duchess of Brabant or HRH Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Duchess of Brabant.

I'm not sure about that though. I mean, the crownprince/princess is titled Duke/Duchess of Brabant. as far as I know, crownprince/princess is a synonym for Hereditary Prince/Princess. In fact, when I occasionally watch the flemish tv news, they always refer to Prince Philippe as Kronprins Filip. I don't know if that's a mistake or it's just another way to call the heir to the throne

I think it is just a synonym of Heir to the Throne, but not an official title. And if you look at official sources, i.e. the website of the Belgian Monarchy, Philippe is never referred to as Crown Prince of Belgium but always as Prince Philippe or as the Duke of Brabant.
And also the title of Crown Prince is also used informally to refer to other Heirs to the Throne of various monarchies, but without being it the official title; a couple of examples are the Prince of Asturias and, before he became King of The Netherlands, the Prince of Orange, who are often called respectively Crown Prince Felipe and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander but Crown Prince isn't their title.

might there be a chance for the new King to restore the old noble titles that were used by the king's children and abolished by King Albert in 2001? It would be awesome to combine them with the title of Prince/ss of Belgium as it is in Sweden. Duchess of Brabant for Elisabeth, Prince of Liège for Gabriel, Count of Flanders for Emmanuel and a complete new one for Eleonore

They will be no ermine Glitter but new Royal Uniforms and of Course the Leopold Sash for both. This Order has no Collar.

I remember watching old pictures of King Albert's wedding ad he was wearing a collar along with the sash of the Order of Leopold. was that another order...maybe an abolished one?

Will Queen Fabiola's title be change now when Mathilde is new Belgian queen? Because it's a little bit weird that three women in Belgium have the same title.

Will Queen Fabiola's title be change now when Mathilde is new Belgian queen? Because it's a little bit weird that three women in Belgium have the same title.

Mathilda is The Queen, Paola is Queen Paola, and Fabiola is Queen Fabiola.

Having multiple women who are queens isn't all that uncommon.

More precisely Mathilde is HM the Queen of the Belgians, Paola is HM Queen Paola of Belgium and Fabiola is HM Queen Fabiola of Belgium.
So only the two former queens have the same title.

Also worth noting is that H.M.Queen Fabiola is a Queen Dowager as the widow of a King.

In the party in the park yesterday, somebody asked Philippe to sign a guestbook.
He signed Filip van België.
I believe has to sign with just Philippe/Filip now.

Are they not changing the law in Belgium so that when the new king signs laws, official docs etc he must now sign both as Philippe and as Filip to keep the Flemish factions happy. Not sure if he will also need to sign with a German version of his name or even what the German version of Philip is, but the German Belgians do not seem to be a sensitive a lot as the Flemish are about everything.
I wonder will Prime Ministers now also have to have French/Flemish/German versions of their names to keep everyone happy?

I wasn't referring to the Filip/Philippe, that is settled in the meantime.
I meant that as monarch, I think he has to drop the 'van België' - 'de Belgique'.

I wasn't referring to the Filip/Philippe, that is settled in the meantime.
I meant that as monarch, I think he has to drop the 'van België' - 'de Belgique'.

as any royals he technically doesn't have a surname. the family name should be Saxe Corbug and Gotha from the ancient Wettin branch, but they dropped it after WWI and the German invasion of Belgium (it definitely sounded too germanic).
That said, yes he will be know from now on as Philippe, King of the Belgians and so his wife will be Mathilde, Queen of the Belgians. that's because in belgium a king receive his "power" from the people of belgium and doesn't have any own right to be the king of belgium.
king albert, queen paola and queen fabiola are now known as King/Queen of Belgium. they kept the title as an honor but the change emphasize the fact that they're not sovereigns anymore.

as any royals he technically doesn't have a surname. the family name should be Saxe Corbug and Gotha from the ancient Wettin branch, but they dropped it after WWI and the German invasion of Belgium (it definitely sounded too germanic).
That said, yes he will be know from now on as Philippe, King of the Belgians and so his wife will be Mathilde, Queen of the Belgians. that's because in belgium a king receive his "power" from the people of belgium and doesn't have any own right to be the king of belgium.
king albert, queen paola and queen fabiola are now known as King/Queen of Belgium. they kept the title as an honor but the change emphasize the fact that they're not sovereigns anymore.

Royals frequently use the place that they are "of" as a surname though. Philippe was "of Belgium" and is now "of the Belgians" so his signature in that regards is likely to change.

I think that I wasn't clear that I was only talking about the signature in a guestbook, not about the title or the family name.

I think that before 21st July 2013:
When King Albert and Queen Paola visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Albert / Paola.
When Prince Philippe or Princess Mathilde (or the other Princes(ses)) visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Philippe de Belgique/Mathilde de Belgique

So when I saw Philippe sign with Filip van België in a guestbook in the Parc, sunday and after taking the oath, I thought he just wasn't used to signing as a King yet.

Well, I suppose that it's just a matter of old habits which die hard...

Some changes in the court: baron Frans Van Daele succeeds baron Jacques van Ypersele de Strihou as chef of the cabinet of the king. Not a moment too soon IMHO. Van Daele used to work for Herman van Rompuy btw. Leutenant General Noël De Bruyne will become the new intendent of the civil list. Other changes: Pierre Cartuyvels will be deputy chef of the cabinet and diplomatic advisor, leutenant colonel Alain Gerardy will be deputy chef of protocol, Hubert Roisin will be advisor of the king. Machteld Fostier (previously advisor of princess Mathilde) will become the new queen's secretary. Pierre-Emmanuel De Bauw will become director media and communications and his assistant director will be Rafike Yilmaz. Philippe Kridelka will be the new secretary general of the house of the king and Geneviève Renaux will be economic advisor.

The house of the dukes of Brabant will be cancelled and only reinstated when princess Elisabeth will be older. A new house is created for king Albert and queen Paola, where many of their older employees will work.

Baron Frans Van Daele wordt kabinetschef van koning Filip - Gva.be

I think that I wasn't clear that I was only talking about the signature in a guestbook, not about the title or the family name.

I think that before 21st July 2013:
When King Albert and Queen Paola visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Albert / Paola.
When Prince Philippe or Princess Mathilde (or the other Princes(ses)) visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Philippe de Belgique/Mathilde de Belgique

So when I saw Philippe sign with Filip van België in a guestbook in the Parc, sunday and after taking the oath, I thought he just wasn't used to signing as a King yet.

I think it's just that he needs some time to get used to it. after all on Sunday afternoon he was king just from a few hours

So what name do the kids use at school? 'de Belgique'/'van Belgie'?

I know a teacher at their school and there family name is indeed 'van België' (they go to a Dutch speaking school)

Back
Top Bottom