The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Abdication & Installation 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 07-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Are they not changing the law in Belgium so that when the new king signs laws, official docs etc he must now sign both as Philippe and as Filip to keep the Flemish factions happy. Not sure if he will also need to sign with a German version of his name or even what the German version of Philip is, but the German Belgians do not seem to be a sensitive a lot as the Flemish are about everything.
I wonder will Prime Ministers now also have to have French/Flemish/German versions of their names to keep everyone happy?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 PM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BelgiŽ, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 921
I wasn't referring to the Filip/Philippe, that is settled in the meantime.
I meant that as monarch, I think he has to drop the 'van BelgiŽ' - 'de Belgique'.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Marchesina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a town near the Adriatic coast, Italy
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I wasn't referring to the Filip/Philippe, that is settled in the meantime.
I meant that as monarch, I think he has to drop the 'van BelgiŽ' - 'de Belgique'.
as any royals he technically doesn't have a surname. the family name should be Saxe Corbug and Gotha from the ancient Wettin branch, but they dropped it after WWI and the German invasion of Belgium (it definitely sounded too germanic).
That said, yes he will be know from now on as Philippe, King of the Belgians and so his wife will be Mathilde, Queen of the Belgians. that's because in belgium a king receive his "power" from the people of belgium and doesn't have any own right to be the king of belgium.
king albert, queen paola and queen fabiola are now known as King/Queen of Belgium. they kept the title as an honor but the change emphasize the fact that they're not sovereigns anymore.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post

as any royals he technically doesn't have a surname. the family name should be Saxe Corbug and Gotha from the ancient Wettin branch, but they dropped it after WWI and the German invasion of Belgium (it definitely sounded too germanic).
That said, yes he will be know from now on as Philippe, King of the Belgians and so his wife will be Mathilde, Queen of the Belgians. that's because in belgium a king receive his "power" from the people of belgium and doesn't have any own right to be the king of belgium.
king albert, queen paola and queen fabiola are now known as King/Queen of Belgium. they kept the title as an honor but the change emphasize the fact that they're not sovereigns anymore.
Royals frequently use the place that they are "of" as a surname though. Philippe was "of Belgium" and is now "of the Belgians" so his signature in that regards is likely to change.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BelgiŽ, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 921
I think that I wasn't clear that I was only talking about the signature in a guestbook, not about the title or the family name.

I think that before 21st July 2013:
When King Albert and Queen Paola visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Albert / Paola.
When Prince Philippe or Princess Mathilde (or the other Princes(ses)) visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Philippe de Belgique/Mathilde de Belgique

So when I saw Philippe sign with Filip van BelgiŽ in a guestbook in the Parc, sunday and after taking the oath, I thought he just wasn't used to signing as a King yet.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM
MAfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: N/A, Italy
Posts: 4,322
Well, I suppose that it's just a matter of old habits which die hard...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,251
Some changes in the court: baron Frans Van Daele succeeds baron Jacques van Ypersele de Strihou as chef of the cabinet of the king. Not a moment too soon IMHO. Van Daele used to work for Herman van Rompuy btw. Leutenant General NoŽl De Bruyne will become the new intendent of the civil list. Other changes: Pierre Cartuyvels will be deputy chef of the cabinet and diplomatic advisor, leutenant colonel Alain Gerardy will be deputy chef of protocol, Hubert Roisin will be advisor of the king. Machteld Fostier (previously advisor of princess Mathilde) will become the new queen's secretary. Pierre-Emmanuel De Bauw will become director media and communications and his assistant director will be Rafike Yilmaz. Philippe Kridelka will be the new secretary general of the house of the king and GeneviŤve Renaux will be economic advisor.

The house of the dukes of Brabant will be cancelled and only reinstated when princess Elisabeth will be older. A new house is created for king Albert and queen Paola, where many of their older employees will work.


Baron Frans Van Daele wordt kabinetschef van koning Filip - Gva.be
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Marchesina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: a town near the Adriatic coast, Italy
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I think that I wasn't clear that I was only talking about the signature in a guestbook, not about the title or the family name.

I think that before 21st July 2013:
When King Albert and Queen Paola visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Albert / Paola.
When Prince Philippe or Princess Mathilde (or the other Princes(ses)) visited somewhere and signed the guestbook, they signed Philippe de Belgique/Mathilde de Belgique

So when I saw Philippe sign with Filip van BelgiŽ in a guestbook in the Parc, sunday and after taking the oath, I thought he just wasn't used to signing as a King yet.
I think it's just that he needs some time to get used to it. after all on Sunday afternoon he was king just from a few hours
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Esmerelda's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,215
So what name do the kids use at school? 'de Belgique'/'van Belgie'?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-23-2013, 02:09 PM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: BelgiŽ, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 921
I know a teacher at their school and there family name is indeed 'van BelgiŽ' (they go to a Dutch speaking school)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,251
Didn't Elisabeth need some extra lessons in French at school? Very wise that the king and queen made sure that their children are perfectly bilingual.
__________________

__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
king philippe, queen mathilde


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pom pregnancy president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]