The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Belgium > Abdication & Installation 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Royal Highness

Congratulations King Philippe & Queen Mathilde and Belgian Royal Family

Old 07-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Royal Highness

A splendid ceremony in the throne of the Netherlands. Belgium has been preferred to a simple ceremony. Other countries do not have the royal families.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:03 AM
Nobility

not that I want abdication for the other royal families but the hypothetical, not likely abdications would be on par with the pomp of the Netherlands I would think...it is more interesting to watch for one. this one was elegant and efficient.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

The ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier.
21 juillet: Cérémonie du soldat inconnu - Vidéo - RTL Vidéos
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Princess Mathilde's family. Mathilde's mother Anne, her sisters Helene and Elisabeth and her brother Charles Henri. In the 2nd row her brothers in law.
Look like her sister Helene is pregnant.

http://i41.tinypic.com/e5mxog.jpg
Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

So disapoited, after seeing the show that the Dutch people put for the Coronoation of KW , here no tiara for Mathilde and no cape for KP , and the rest of the cp are all in norway celebrating MM bday! I wanted to see M in a gown with Tiara! and much more ceremony for an eent like this, too low key for me
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
So disapoited, after seeing the show that the Dutch people put for the Coronation of KW , here no tiara for Mathilde and no cape for KP , and the rest of the cp are all in norway celebrating MM bday! I wanted to see M in a gown with Tiara! and much more ceremony for an eent like this, too low key for me
You will really hate it then when Frederik one day becomes King of Denmark. That only involves the new king appearing on a balcony with the Prime Minister who proclaims the new monarch has accended the throne. Each monarchy handles it differently but only the British and to a lesser extent the Dutch do it with ceremonies involving robes, crowns and tiaras.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Nobility

my honest opinion...the Belgian royals don't really enjoy their roles. They do their duty as required in a business like get it done and over way..one CEO is retiring and another taking his place. did not know about Denmark- what about Sweden, Norway and Spain? I guess I am not going to mind simplicity from them so much as they all strike me as warmer and more relatable anyway.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Astrid and Lorenz brought 4 of their childern to the parade.

Only prince Amedeo is not present.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Lea is also present
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

This has been a great day, a day with big emotions. I have enjoyed this much more than the Dutch one. This is elegant and dignified without any big fuss. Great to see Philippe, Mathilde and Paola so emotional.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
my honest opinion...the Belgian royals don't really enjoy their roles. They do their duty as required in a business like get it done and over way..one CEO is retiring and another taking his place. did not know about Denmark- what about Sweden, Norway and Spain? I guess I am not going to mind simplicity from them so much as they all strike me as warmer and more relatable anyway.
I don't agree with you. Just because they don't show much emotion doesn't mean that they don't enjoy it. I think that king Albert, queen Paola, king Philippe, queen Mathilde and princess Astrid all do their jobs with both responsibility and and excitement. Again not all of them are good in showing their emotions in public.
It is a very good thing that we can see different inaugurations in different countries. It doesn't make the the same and boring. I also like the belgian inauguration. Simple and elegant and efficient.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Interesting observation. I have to wonder if the Belgian royals are constantly considering their behavior in order to not show any preference to one of the three distinct language groups in their nation. They appear to walk a very fine line at all times.

Thank you to everyone who provided video and photo links to today's events. It appeared to be quite emotional at times for Queen Paola and Queen Mathilde.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Gentry

I just caught the end of it. I was particularly curious to see the crowds -and they seemed so few and dispersed.. Was it like that throughout? Were there many people below in the balcony appearance..?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Interesting observation. I have to wonder if the Belgian royals are constantly considering their behavior in order to not show any preference to one of the three distinct language groups in their nation. They appear to walk a very fine line at all times.
I think you are right in this..
The position of the royal family in all countries is different, even in two neighbouring countries like Belgium and the Netherlands the relationship between royals and 'the people' and royals and 'the government' is quite different...
Belgium does not have coronation regalia like the NL do (although there is no coronation in the NL either), and there is much less royal history than in f.i. the UK

Imo, the days of pomp and glamour that we sometimes imagine with royals ended after ww1 and the fall of the big empires like Germany and (especially) Russia...
If the royals would pile on the glamour in this day and age, people would be quick to say 'is that what my tax-money is spend on'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamta View Post
I just caught the end of it. I was particularly curious to see the crowds -and they seemed so few and dispersed.. Was it like that throughout? Were there many people below in the balcony appearance..?
There weren't as many as you see on 'the Mall' (i think it's name is) when the UK royals have an event, but there were more people than anticipated...
Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Nobility

or you might say almost every one likes a bit of fantasy or pomp to show off their small country that might rarely make the worlds news, to show and feel of pride in their history such as it is even. does not have to be a three circus of ermine and gold and diamonds but showing some bling and glam to the world never hurts.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Nobility

probably it was because I'm most interested in this family among the royal houses, but I got really emotional, even if I had to watch all the ceremonies this afternoon after everything was done. probably because it was more a family matter than a state occasion, considering the pomp and circumstances that took place is the Netherlands, this was so sweet and I can't agree with those who think this was disappointing. I like greatness and a bit of a theatrical show when it comes to royals, but they are in 21st century as we do, and the circumstances that created this kingdom made the accession ceremony like this, so this is tradition as much as the one that took place in Amsterdam earlier this year.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Lovely picture
http://i39.tinypic.com/fpbb6q.jpg
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Belgium's King Albert is set to abdicate today to crown his son Philippe | Mail Online

The abdication of Albert II and King Philippe's installation | Spletnik.ru

I liked the ceremony. It was less grand, but very touching and poised. In my opinion, the ceremony fully reflected King Philippe's personality: polite and slightly aloof.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
or you might say almost every one likes a bit of fantasy or pomp to show off their small country that might rarely make the worlds news, to show and feel of pride in their history such as it is even. does not have to be a three circus of ermine and gold and diamonds but showing some bling and glam to the world never hurts.
what you really want as a small country is to actually make a difference in the world and to be treated as equal by larger countries.
The belgian ceremony also laid emphasis on the position of Belgium in Europe, even the european anthem was played (as well as the belgian anthem ofcourse)

You want to be taken seriously and that will not be done by piling on a load of bling just to get 15 minutes of fame in international press...

Tags
abdication, belgium, installation, king albert ii, king philippe, queen mathilde, queen paola