The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

But Philippe already...hm,hm....has his age (50+)

Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand why the media is soon interested in discussion of an abdication to the point of declaring a specific date for it.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've always admired Albert II of the Belgians,I really hope he doesn't abdicate and that the media rumours are just that...a rumour.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Gentry

Prins Filip has participated in his first marathon ever, the 20 km of Brussels. It's said that this was a charm offensive (hope this is the right translation ). So the rumors of an abdication are again getting stronger.
I would like the prince to become King. When I see him with his wife and children (in the press of course), I think of them as a warm, nice family. Much more than King Albert and Queen Paola.
I don't think it will happen soon. The last days are very bad regarding politics. There's a real crisis about education reformation and it affects the function of the government. I could see a huge crisis again like back in 2010/11. In that regard, an abdication would not be likely, because of instability of the country.

Also, it's been rumoured that Paola has a fear of when princess Mathilde will be queen, she will take revenge on her. Apparently Fabiola and Paola didn't get along, and Fabiola made life miserable for Paola. And when the latter became queen, she did the same thing with Mathilde. If it's true, I don't know, but I don't really have affinity with Paola. She seems quite cold. Mathilde is so much warmer and would be a beautiful queen!

Also, Albert is getting old and doesn't take on much royal activities. The fact that he spends a lot of time on vacation, instead of work, is a real thorn in the eye of many Belgians ...
Old 06-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveline View Post
Prins Filip has participated in his first marathon ever, the 20 km of Brussels. It's said that this was a charm offensive (hope this is the right translation ). So the rumors of an abdication are again getting stronger.
I would like the prince to become King. When I see him with his wife and children (in the press of course), I think of them as a warm, nice family. Much more than King Albert and Queen Paola.
I don't think it will happen soon. The last days are very bad regarding politics. There's a real crisis about education reformation and it affects the function of the government. I could see a huge crisis again like back in 2010/11. In that regard, an abdication would not be likely, because of instability of the country.

Also, it's been rumoured that Paola has a fear of when princess Mathilde will be queen, she will take revenge on her. Apparently Fabiola and Paola didn't get along, and Fabiola made life miserable for Paola. And when the latter became queen, she did the same thing with Mathilde. If it's true, I don't know, but I don't really have affinity with Paola. She seems quite cold. Mathilde is so much warmer and would be a beautiful queen!

Also, Albert is getting old and doesn't take on much royal activities. The fact that he spends a lot of time on vacation, instead of work, is a real thorn in the eye of many Belgians ...
I don't think that Mathilde is that immature . Maybe Paola has to do the same as queen Fabiola . And Paola and Fabiola's not getting along was due to Fabiola not supporting or disagreeing on everything the young And homesick Paola did .
And we have to remember that Albert was 59 and Paola 56 years old when they became king and queen, so a little late for two people to change their lifestyle and accept new roles and duties.
I don't know about Philippe but I'm sure that Mathilde is gonna be so much loved by her people when she becomes queen.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
I don't think that Mathilde is that immature . Maybe Paola has to do the same as queen Fabiola . And Paola and Fabiola's not getting along was due to Fabiola not supporting or disagreeing on everything the young And homesick Paola did .
And we have to remember that Albert was 59 and Paola 56 years old when they became king and queen, so a little late for two people to change their lifestyle and accept new roles and duties.
I don't know about Philippe but I'm sure that Mathilde is gonna be so much loved by her people when she becomes queen.
I agree with you on Mathilde. I can't see her 'taking revenge' or whatever. I too heard about Paola not feeling at home in Belgium and stuff.
Good point about their ages! I totally wasn't thinking of that. I was only 4 years old when Boudewijn died, so their my king and queen as long as I can think of :)
I would hate it though, when Albert is pushed to continue when he does want to abdicate himself. Our government only thinks about themselves, getting votes

Mathilde for queen, absolutely!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

I am greatly surprised to learn about complicated relationships between Queen Fabiola and Queen Paola. On the surface it appears that Crown Princess Mathilde will not complicate her mother-in-law's life.
Quote:
... [snipped] Also, Albert is getting old and doesn't take on much royal activities. The fact that he spends a lot of time on vacation, instead of work, is a real thorn in the eye of many Belgians ...
Perhaps... King Albert works behind the scenes. Furthermore, King Albert was a stable element during the Prime Minister merry-go-round period. If Kind Albert wished to retire, would he be allowed to do so?
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Hearing/reading that Queen Paola is/seems to be cold truly makes me sad, even more because suchlike remarks occur quite often and frankly I don't understand them at all unless you lack frequent information (articles, photos, videos, personal experience). I would neither know where to begin nor where to stop with providing material suggesting that Paola has an incredibly warm-hearted, highly empathetic character and tries to behave attentively towards each individual human being as such...
Admittedly her shyness which becomes manifest in a corresponding body language isn't doing her a favour. Nevertheless, her gestures and facial expressions look entirely different from aloofness when observed carefully i.m.o..
Applying my impression of Her Majesty to the abdication topic, I don't believe she made life miserable for Crown Princess Mathilde. Firstly, that implies a calculating personality but I deem the queen way too honest/straightforward (with certain temperamental outbursts). Secondly, I read that Paola and countess Anne d'Udekem d'Acoz are good friends -could you imagine a sound friendship here if Paola was really bullying Anne's daughter, the crown princess?
Moreover, Queen Paola expressed her worries about Albert's health and that she yearns to spend more time with her beloved grandchildren (presumably with her Italian family and her friends as well), hence I wouldn't detect much room for a confrontation with Mathilde if the king retired, since Paola doesn't seek attention.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think that the Paola vs Mathilde story is mainly gossip press material. It is not quite original either,we have seen it in Spain (Sofia vs Letizia), UK (Elizabeth vs Diana/Camilla), The Netherlands (Beatrix vs Máxima) and Luxembourg (MT vs Stéphanie) too. So a popular theme for the people who write these rags but mainly based on their own imagination. From Philippe's biography I understood that Paola was actually very happy with Mathilde.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Aristocracy

I personally don't believe in the Paola and Mathilde story. IMO some people say it because they don't go their duties together very often.
But again press are using abdication as an interesting story so that some would pay attention to them.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Nobility

Didn't Elio Di Rupo said that they were going to reduce the expenses for the RF and only a few chosen members including a MONARCH THAT STEPS DOWN would get a state allowance?

The palace hasn't dismissed the rumors like they had in the past, the Prime Minister says something like that, we've been seeing more of Elisabeth in the last month than we have seen in the last three years combined...

I don't know but this all screams of abdication for me and I think it is a good thing, it's better to stand down and make your heir's coronation/swearing a party instead of a sombre affair after your death, I really liked how they have done it in the Netherlands and Luxembourg so why not Belgium?

And Elisabeth is actually older than Amalia now and she might be able to start doing solo acts in a few years so that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I also think that this time the rumours can be true...
The fact that we are suddenly seeing so much of the Belgian children, and that anybody is denying the question, makes me think so.
I like Albert, but I think abdication is the best option is he´s tired and I think P&M are ready to take over.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

If King Albert wishes to retire and the government is willing to accommodate, it is possible to follow the Dutch way. After reading this thread, my impression was that an abdication might spell the end for the royal family.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
If King Albert wishes to retire and the government is willing to accommodate, it is possible to follow the Dutch way. After reading this thread, my impression was that an abdication might spell the end for the royal family.
that's my greatest fear too, but I think (from a foreigner's perspective) that the Royal family is a kind of a glue for the nation, even if it appears they're not that liked. And also I think Philippe will prove to be a great monarch, and so will do Mathilde. And if it's really Albert's intention to abdicate, I believe he made sure his son is ready to take his place.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Aristocracy

I wasn't aware that the palace doesn't deny the rumors
So then I guess we will hear something after or before the King Albert's 20 years on the throne anniversary .
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Posts about the special announcement of king Albert II tonight, have been moved to this thread.

Tags
abdication, king albert ii