Abdication & Installation: Information, Questions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
In this thead you can post all the information, questions and thoughts that you have about the abdication of King Albert II

will it be released an official list of the members of the Royal Family who will attend the celebrations?

I guess this is a pretty common question and must have been poster earlier..
What will be The King and Queen known after the abdication?

AFAIK the current King and Queen of the Belgians will become King and Queen of Belgium after the abdication (just like Queen Fabiola after her husband's death).

Yes, after the abdication Albert and Paola will cease to be TM the King and Queen of The Belgians and will become King Albert II of Belgium and Queen Paola of Belgium.
Philippe and Mathilde will become TM the King and Queen of The Belgians.
Princess Elisabeth will became HRH the Duchess of Brabant.
The titles of the other members of the Royal Family will not change.

Don´t know whether it was already posted elsewhere but Austrian TV-Channel "ORF 2" will broadcast from around 11.00 - 16.00 h. Anything known whether German TV will also broadcast live? Sorry, but I didn´t follow the whole abdication thread.

No, only members of the Belgian RF.

Idk if that's the right place to ask...but will the new King move to the Royal Palace with his family, or will they keep on living in Laeken?

The Royal Palace in Brussels is their working palace.
The Castle in Laeken is their home and they will stay there.

Laeken was always the home of the monarchs, only Albert and Paolo chose to stay and live in Belvedere when they became King and Queen.

The Royal Palace in Brussels is their working palace.
The Castle in Laeken is their home and they will stay there.

Laeken was always the home of the monarchs, only Albert and Paolo chose to stay and live in Belvedere when they became King and Queen.

I had no idea Laeken was the traditional home of the sovereign, thank you so much...

why no other royalty like for the dutch events?

as explained by the belgian prime minister it's not a belgian tradition to have foreign royals at the accession of the new king since it is a very small and simple ceremony (without any pomp or any particular "theatrical" moment) and because the oath is taken at the parliament, which has a very small chamber with not enough room for further guests (it'll be already quite filled by the senators and the deputies)

do we know if the little princes and princesses will attend tomorrow celebrations as in Netherlands?

Soberness is indeed the main characteristics!! in addition time was very very short between the announcement and the abdication.

I would like to mention two very nice initiatives; the royal palace is now open to visitors as ussual during the summer. Albert & Paola arranged for an exhibition of all children drawings they received during their 20-year reign. King Philippe arrange for a scientific exhibition particularly oriented towards children.:)

Do you know where I can find the text of Albert II's abdication? Was it a decree, declaration or an act of abdication or what type of law?

Back
Top Bottom