Princess Madeleine of Sweden's Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the sketch:

Pic
So wish it had looked like the sketch. The actual dress from the bust up is good, from there down, I'm not liking it. The lace actually looks cheap and the hem at the bottom just makes it worst. Her hair and makeup were gorgeous and the jewels were very pretty.

I will compare Madeleine's dress to Victorias as much as I want; stop giving orders like you own this discussion.
And just because most of us don'tknow the dress doesn't make us catty,'I don't think anyone has had anything but nice things to say about Madeleine and how beautiful she looked today, just some of us do not like her dress. I don't know why people are so sensitive about this.

Without the ruffle on the bottom, I would have loved this dress and placed it on my Top Five list. But no matter, she was one of the most beautiful brides I have ever seen, Royal or otherwise. :p

Her hair, makeup and jewels were perfection.

She and Chris seem headed for a great future.

You raise an interesting point. I looked at the drawing and there was no ruffle; then I took a really close look at the dress and - there is no ruffle - I think it is a pattern on the material - like scallops but I need an even closer look.

I could be wrong but I really dont think there is a ruffle ( as in separate stitched piece - possible gathered etc etc )

Madeleine is hands down the most beautiful princess of her generation - I am considering just looks here. Her wedding dress is elegant, light, confortable, and the choice of tiara (with flowers), jewelery, veil, shoes was perfect. Nice job.

I think so too, just as Caroline of Monaco was the most naturally gorgeous princess of her generation.

But if Madeleine doesn't chuck the cigarettes and suntans, she is going to age in the unfortunate way her aunts and Princess Caroline have, and her beauty is going to soon be a very distant memory. :sad:

I will compare Madeleine's dress to Victorias as much as I want; stop giving orders like you own this discussion.
And just because most of us don'tknow the dress doesn't make us catty,'I don't think anyone has had anything but nice things to say about Madeleine and how beautiful she looked today, just some of us do not like her dress. I don't know why people are so sensitive about this.

maybe its about how things are said rather than what is said. But people on here have favourites and can do no wrong. Someone described Victoria today as "the sainted Victoria" - that sums it up. Apparently you're supposed to love them or hate them. I love them all - but sometimes...... :bang:

Love the top, not so much the skirt. So glad not to see the hideous Cameo Tiara!

So very happy for this obliviously in love and very joyful couple.
That said I wonder...
What would this wedding dress look like if the shape of the skirt followed Prince Marie's from the same event. Instead of a full from the waist a bit more fit and flare. I do love the work Valentino did, I think he followed the bride's vision for a spring time wedding without the heavy historical feel with the Cameo Tiara or the family veil, but the skirt with a flounce is not my taste. A bit more shape and less gather would have made the dress modern and not 80's.
Still a lovely bride when all the jewels and flowers and smiles and music are added. Lovey wedding.

You raise an interesting point. I looked at the drawing and there was no ruffle; then I took a really close look at the dress and - there is no ruffle - I think it is a pattern on the material - like scallops but I need an even closer look.

I could be wrong but I really dont think there is a ruffle ( as in separate stitched piece - possible gathered etc etc )

Now I am intrigued...I looked very closely on another message board and there was very definitely a ruffle.

Now I am going to rush off to study it even closer! :lol:

maybe its about how things are said rather than what is said. But people on here have favourites and can do no wrong. Someone described Victoria today as "the sainted Victoria" - that sums it up. Apparently you're supposed to love them or hate them. I love them all - but sometimes...... :bang:

I don't have a fav between Victoria and Madeleine. I do think the latter is the more beautiful but that's all. Everyone on this board compares wedding dresses. Sorry not everyone but most. I remember comparisons between Kate and Charlene in 2011. Though I do not know enough about the Swedish Princesses, I have always thought Madeleine was the more chic and better dressed, so it's just surprising to me that Victoria had the better wedding dress.

Now I am intrigued...I looked very closely on another message board and there was very definitely a ruffle.

It may not be exactly a ruffle but I know what you are talking about.

It may be a different pattern of material stitched on but with no gather. I dont know how dressmakers do this but it isnt scalloped ruffles on the bottom of the dress making it frou-frou (if you know what I mean)

Presumably Madeleine got the dress design she wanted and was happy with it which at the end of the day is all that really matters since she is the one wearing it.
It did think she made a rather beautiful bride, but it would be pretty hard for her not to be. I did like that she wore the modern fringe tiara, and covered the base with little flowers, and have read speculation on another board that it may have been given to her as a gift since it is not party of the family foundation.

Last edited:
I don't know. It looks like a ruffle to me. Whether it's stitching or a ruffle, I wish the designer had left it off. I think it ruins an otherwise nice dress.

I don't think anyone's comments were "catty" I love how everyone has their own view and is that not what this forum is for ... but "catty" I have re read and I think it is okay to have a different view but then that is just IMO.
I agree. I haven't seen any cattiness either. Just people expressing their views on her dress...which is what this particular thread is for.

Some people here take it SO SERIOUSLY if you say their favorite royal doesnt look good in whatever! It's a constant surprise to me when someone says, "Gosh her whatever looks a bit wonky" and a volcano erupts! I mean really, I am assuming that you whomever are not personally Princess XYZ here incognito on the forums, and thus shouldn't be personally insulted if I dont like Princess XYZ's dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her hair, makeup and jewels were perfection.

She did look very beautiful....from the neck up. I don't really see the pleats at the waist. I think the waistline could've been a bit flatter/smoother. The shoes are a disappointment for me too. They're not true slingbacks. They're more like pumps with ankle straps.

True ruffle or not, there is an illusion of a ruffle when she moves, and that can be enough.

Love it!! She looks so happy!

I don't particularly like the style of either of the dresses - I don't like lace and they were both far too fussy for my liking - but Madeleine looked beautiful and radiant and she and Chris both looked happy as could be, and that's what matters.

There is definitely a ruffle.

I am, by no means, a master couturier, however, I do sew. A LOT. And by "a lot" I mean a lot of formals for young ladies. I've lost track of the number of formals that I've made in the past 15 years but it's easily a couple hundred. Just in the last three months, I've made 6 formals, some far more elaborate than others.

A ruffle doesn't have to have to be gathered at the seam, though that's often how ruffles are created. However, you can also add a ruffle by cutting the fabric for the ruffle on the bias and adding a slight grade outwards, which will give just a gentle, flowing ruffly effect. This is most certainly the case with Madeleine's dress.

I like the sketch a lot more than the actual dress. The waist is, as others have noted, just a bit too high. I'd have dropped the waist maybe an inch or so. And, I probably would have added just a couple inches more of fabric in the skirt at the waist, to give just a bit more poof. I'm not sure how much more though because it might have looked too frumpy and unflattering on her hips if there was too much extra fabric added into the skirt. But, I definitely would have had more than was there because there's not enough and the gather of the skirt to the waist is just too tiny. It fooled a couple of others, upthread, into thinking that it was a straight seam when it's not. I also think the skirt would have benefited from a more pronounced use of lace, similar to the way it was used on her illusion neckline. Yes, you can see the lace but the sketch just has some oomph to it that the reality is lacking.

Finally, others have noted that there is something not quite right with the cut and this isn't quite correct. There is something not quite right with the fit, especially on the side back section of the dress. I saw a couple of pictures where the fit was obviously loose and while you don't want a dress you plan on wearing for hours upon hours while eating, dancing and celebrating to be skintight, the fit should have been smooth when she was standing.

These are all, in all honestly, rather nitpicky items though. I think the dress is really beautiful. I loved her makeup, the veil and tiara. I really loved the bodice front. It was quite a lovely look and well worth getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning to witness. Especially seeing how affectionate and obviously in love Christopher is with his bride. :)

I have to say I just loved the shoes .... Thanks Marika for posting the close up I love them on trend without being OTT.

Those were some amazing shoes I must say, such fantastic shoes paired with a far from fantastic dress. I would sleep in those shoes. I am seriously givin up on trying to figure out what is going on at the bottom of her dress; whatever it is it shouldn't have been done.

Last edited:
There is definitely a ruffle.

I am, by no means, a master couturier, however, I do sew. A LOT. And by "a lot" I mean a lot of formals for young ladies. I've lost track of the number of formals that I've made in the past 15 years but it's easily a couple hundred. Just in the last three months, I've made 6 formals, some far more elaborate than others.

A ruffle doesn't have to have to be gathered at the seam, though that's often how ruffles are created. However, you can also add a ruffle by cutting the fabric for the ruffle on the bias and adding a slight grade outwards, which will give just a gentle, flowing ruffly effect. This is most certainly the case with Madeleine's dress.

I like the sketch a lot more than the actual dress. The waist is, as others have noted, just a bit too high. I'd have dropped the waist maybe an inch or so. And, I probably would have added just a couple inches more of fabric in the skirt at the waist, to give just a bit more poof. I'm not sure how much more though because it might have looked too frumpy and unflattering on her hips if there was too much extra fabric added into the skirt. But, I definitely would have had more than was there because there's not enough and the gather of the skirt to the waist is just too tiny. It fooled a couple of others, upthread, into thinking that it was a straight seam when it's not. I also think the skirt would have benefited from a more pronounced use of lace, similar to the way it was used on her illusion neckline. Yes, you can see the lace but the sketch just has some oomph to it that the reality is lacking.

Finally, others have noted that there is something not quite right with the cut and this isn't quite correct. There is something not quite right with the fit, especially on the side back section of the dress. I saw a couple of pictures where the fit was obviously loose and while you don't want a dress you plan on wearing for hours upon hours while eating, dancing and celebrating to be skintight, the fit should have been smooth when she was standing.

These are all, in all honestly, rather nitpicky items though. I think the dress is really beautiful. I loved her makeup, the veil and tiara. I really loved the bodice front. It was quite a lovely look and well worth getting up at 7am on a Saturday morning to witness. Especially seeing how affectionate and obviously in love Christopher is with his bride. :)

I agree with your observations about the fit. The waist could have been slightly lower and the skirt fuller. In fact I was convinced Madde would have a "poufy" bridal gown because that seems to be her style.

But as for the bodice not fitting quite right, I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.

Love the top, not so much the skirt. So glad not to see the hideous Cameo Tiara!

The Cameo gets lots of love on most Royal message boards but I have always hated it. It always seems either too large or too small for the head of the person wearing it and it just looks, weird imo, even though it's historical significance is impressive.

I also hate the fact that it limits the type of bridal veil that can be worn.

I am relieved Madeleine passed it over. :ROFLMAO:

I agree with your observations about the fit. The waist could have been slightly lower and the skirt fuller. In fact I was convinced Madde would have a "poufy" bridal gown because that seems to be her style.

But as for the bodice not fitting quite right, I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.

You know, I hadn't considered crash dieting as a cause for the bodice not quite fitting right but I think you're absolutely correct. Goodness knows I've made enough dresses where the fit changes drastically when the wearer loses or gains weight. Or when loaned to someone with a completely different body type.

I am almost convinced that between her final fitting and her ceremony Madeleine crash dieted and lost even more weight, many brides do it despite the fact that it is sometimes going to adversely affect the way they appear in their dress on the big day.

Valentino would have slit his own throat rather than let Maddie go down the isle with the dress not fitting right. Chances are good she either consciously dieted, or the stress got to her.

Valentino would have slit his own throat rather than let Maddie go down the isle with the dress not fitting right. Chances are good she either consciously dieted, or the stress got to her.

You are probably right. I have seen this un-perfect fit in TV as welll - especially if they showed pics from the back.
BYe Bine

Back
Top Bottom