The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

It is all geting very exciting this is the part I like best those few days prior to any wedding really but a Roayal one were flowers get delivered people arrive there is an air of excitement and it's infectious.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Maybe - just maybe - they realise that it is not just the wedding of a Swedish princess but the wedding of Madeleine and Chris and they are giving equal value to both lives, not just the royal one.
But that's the point. He is marrying a Swedish Princess, in Sweden and she will still be a Swedish Princess after the marriage.

If he was marrying sweet Madeleine Svensson from Göteborg, it would be another matter. Other rules apply for royals.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Apparantly a part of the wedding will take place in English, with Madeleine saying "Ja" at the altar and Chris O'Neil saying: "I do".
I'd actually like it the other way round (Madeleine saying yes in English and Chris in Swedish) like it was done for the civil wedding in Luxembourg. I thought it was a sweet touch that Guillaume married Stephanie in her language (French), while she married him in his language (Luxembourgish).
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
(Moved to the correct thread).

One of the many stories that has spilled over from Sweden and hit the Danish press are some details in connection with the wedding: http://www.bt.dk/royale/her-er-madel...-bryllups-valg

Apparantly a part of the wedding will take place in English, with Madeleine saying "Ja" at the altar and Chris O'Neil saying: "I do".

It may be a small detail in a nice marriage, that will hopefully last a lifetime, but I don't think it's elegantly handled and I would like to hit Chris O'Neil on the head with a shovel.

Good greif, the man is marrying a genuine Princess from a genuine monarchy, - in Sweden on top of that! Is it really too much to ask that he respects the Swedes by at least learning to say one word in Swedish? It's pronounced like Ya in Ya'll. Surely he can learn that.

He may not give a hoot about royalty, and he may roll in money and he may be an important man in his own right but he is marrying a princess, and princesses are public property of their countries.
Sorry, it's not elegant and it's not a good way to endear himself to the Swedes.
I completely disagree and think this perspective assumes that this wedding is for Sweden and not for the couple.

My husband and I (admittedly and decidedly non-royal) said our vows in our respective native languages. It is an honest expression in the language of your heart - and it's a nice nod to your family.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree SydneyLux. It was a very beautiful and symbolic way that Guillaume and Stephanie exchanged their vows.

But Chris and Madeleine have chosen to do it this way, so I hope it will be just as moving as the Luxembourg ceremony was.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
(Moved to the correct thread).

One of the many stories that has spilled over from Sweden and hit the Danish press are some details in connection with the wedding: http://www.bt.dk/royale/her-er-madel...-bryllups-valg

It may be a small detail in a nice marriage, that will hopefully last a lifetime, but I don't think it's elegantly handled and I would like to hit Chris O'Neil on the head with a shovel.

Good greif, the man is marrying a genuine Princess from a genuine monarchy, - in Sweden on top of that! Is it really too much to ask that he respects the Swedes by at least learning to say one word in Swedish? It's pronounced like Ya in Ya'll. Surely he can learn that.

Maybe they are setting up a surprise were he hold a speach in the church or as a greeting to all bystanders completly in Swedish and the media gives the speach +++++ no matter what he say just as its in Swedish
Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLux View Post
I'd actually like it the other way round (Madeleine saying yes in English and Chris in Swedish) like it was done for the civil wedding in Luxembourg. I thought it was a sweet touch that Guillaume married Stephanie in her language (French), while she married him in his language (Luxembourgish).
Yes, a nice compromise at two ceremonies. If the wedding was taking place in USA I would find it a bit odd if Madeleine was to say "Ja". When in Rome....

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
I completely disagree and think this perspective assumes that this wedding is for Sweden and not for the couple.

My husband and I (admittedly and decidedly non-royal) said our vows in our respective native languages. It is an honest expression in the language of your heart - and it's a nice nod to your family.
And that's a beautiful and nice thing to do - for commoners.
My point is that this is very much a wedding for Sweden. Diplomats and foreign royals are attending, it's being televised and there are national celebrations and the happy couple will drive through Stockholm being cheered by the people - in other words this is a national event.
The Ja/I do will be shown many times over the years, so a nice little (and endearing) gesture towards the Swedish hosts (i.e. the people) would be to accept marrying the love of his life in Swedish.

They can have a second ceremony in English in USA if it's really that important.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't mind if Chris doesn't speak swedish at all. I see no special value in that he learns some sentences in swedish and puts them in his speech. What he wants to say to his bride, he can say in english, since they are speaking english with eachother.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Nobility

Do you guys think that because of prince philip's hospitilisation the earl and countess of wessex will cancel their appearance at the royal wedding?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
Do you guys think that because of prince philip's hospitilisation the earl and countess of wessex will cancel their appearance at the royal wedding?
I hope not. My best guess is that they will attend, as long as the DoE's condition doesn't get worse over the next 48 hours.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
Unless the Duke's condition gets worse or after this operation its clear there are problems I doubt they would cancel but I suspect if they can maybe Edward and Sophie will make a quiet visit before they leave. maybe cut short their time in Sweden and not stay over night.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Unless the Duke's condition gets worse or after this operation its clear there are problems I doubt they would cancel but I suspect if they can maybe Edward and Sophie will make a quiet visit before they leave. maybe cut short their time in Sweden and not stay over night.
They saw and talked to Prince Philip today. The operation is tomorrow and no one will visit him (except maybe the Queen) post op - he'll be either asleep or resting. The wedding is Saturday - I think they will go as planned. BRF don't normally change plans unless it is really serious. Have a look at the pix on the BRF current events site of HMQ and DoE at todays Garden Party. You would never know he had an operation in the offing!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to Expressen and Aftonbladet, there is a party for friends of Chris and Madeleine this night. They get started rather late, since the reception at the Royal Palace is just ending.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would imagine Edward and Sophie would really only cancel their attendance if Philip had passed away. The BRF are one for protocol and "keep calm and carry on" and all that.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM
Commoner

Madeleine may be a Swedish princess, but she is marrying an American. We happen to love our language as much as the Swedes love theirs. This is NOT a state wedding. This is a wedding that happens to be between a princess and a commoner from another country, which, by the way, Madeleine has adopted as her second home. So, I think it only fitting that each does his vows in his native language. By the way, Chris and Madeleine speak English all the time when together.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
When it comes to the time to take their vows and declare their assent, do we know if the officiate of the wedding will be asking Chris his in English and Madeleine in Swedish? To me it makes sense that they're asked and they respond in the language most comfortable and understood so there is no question that they didn't know what they were saying or agreeing to.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Your point came to my mind also. If anyone asked me anything in Swedish, i wouldn't know what it was!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Courtier

I assume they made the choice that was right for them.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Chris and Carl Philip went last night at 23.00 to a famous restaurant Sturehof to party with about 30 of friends. Madeleine wasn't with them. At midnight they left to a night club The Wall. At 01.30 Chris went home to the Royal Mews.
Photos
Festar på Stureplan Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV

We were served a wonderful dinner, but Madeleine wasn't with him, told one of the guests. Chris was smoking and hugging his billionaire friends. Chris was partying happily, among the guests was super model Marcus Schenkenberg.
Här börjar bröllopsfirandet Nyheter Aftonbladet
Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Glad he had a good time. Bet he looking forward to getting back to normal life in NYC and away from media circus and prying eyes in Sweden.

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine