The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
Brigitta baca me a HSH upon marriage. So, theoretical her title changed a bit!
Princess Birgitta is still a HRH, not a HSH, as far as I know a royal princess who is born HRH will not loose her status as a HRH even when she marries a prince who is HSH or HH, the style of a princess can only be elvated by marriage, never demoted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
So their children will be simply name(s) + O'Neill, no titles?
Quote:
Yes! That is correct.
I haven't seen a official communication from the Swedish royal court about eventual titles for the children of Madeleine, and as it's the king who has the final say in what title, if any, the memebers of the royal family will have, I think we have to wait until the birth of a child to know that for certain. If the child(ren) are born in Sweden they will be Swedish citizens and as such there will be no legal obstacles for the king to give them a title if he wants to.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
You are correct. We see that today with HRH Sophie and HSH Alois of Liechtenstein.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Brigitta baca me a HSH upon marriage. So, theoretical her title changed a bit!
Princess Birgitta stayed a HRH. Traditionally a princess could only be upgraded with a style upon marriage but not downgraded, unless they lose their style entirely or it is done in accordance with the person in question like Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway.

For example, Hereditary Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein stayed a HRH even though her husband's families are HSHs and lots of Austrian Archduchesses stayed HIRHs even though their husband's families were HRHs or less.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
So their children will be simply name(s) + O'Neill, no titles?
That's something that the King decides. My guess is that the children won't be princes/princesses. Chris doesn't seem interested at all in royal titles, and Madeleine has always been the one pf the three royal siblings that felt most uncomfortable with all the attention she's gotten over the years.

I think it's more likely that the children will become duke/duchesses or something similar.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it rather depends on where the children are raised. As I understand it if the children are primarily raised outside of Sweden their succession rights, even though distant, would be questionable so why give them any titles at all. Can the king even give a title to a non HRH Prince/Princess? All the Count Bernadotte titles came from Luxembourg so I doubt CG could give titles to his non HRH grandchildren.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I think it rather depends on where the children are raised. As I understand it if the children are primarily raised outside of Sweden their succession rights, even though distant, would be questionable so why give them any titles at all. Can the king even give a title to a non HRH Prince/Princess? All the Count Bernadotte titles came from Luxembourg so I doubt CG could give titles to his non HRH grandchildren.
The King granted Daniel titles, including his HRH Prince.

I don't know if CG can grant titles at will, but it seems that there's a trend to let the grandchildren of a monarch who aren't in the direct line of succession go without titles. If Chris was offered and refused any titles then it reasons to believe that he and Madeleine don't want any titles for their children. They don't expect to ever inherit, or to have their children inherit, and are making a life for themselves outside of the court.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Don't worry. Title or no title, those kids will be like all their Manhattanite peers; by three they'll know all the doormen in their building and be able to order their own takeout. If they're really precocious, they'll be able to read the menus pinned to the side of the fridge.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The King granted Daniel titles, including his HRH Prince.
Yes, but Daniel married the future Queen of Sweden. Chris isn't doing that so he doesn't have need of a title.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Courtier

Is the wedding here (almost!) already? I remember last year when they announce their engagement in OCt/Nov, I thought June was so far away...wha? Must be some stress and nerves over in Sweden at the moment...

But anyway, I wanted to make a comment about names and title and place of residence...As a hypothetical situation, the kids grow up in New York, no titles, etc BUT they will be given names with a Swedish royal flavour, for example Astrid O'Neill or Oscar O'Neill...and yes, their titles won't be 'in use' in normal everyday life, but they will be there, because these kids will be in line to the Swedish throne, have 'royal' blood and will in effect be 'reserves' should anything happen to other members of the SRF ...
Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine's and Chris' children can also have Bernadotte as their last name, at least according to the swedish laws.

According to Expressen, the cortege route is 2 kilometers long, at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding it was 6,8 kilometers.

The Swedish Republican Association about Madeleine's wedding
Om Madeleine Bernadottes bröllop - Republikanska föreningen
Translation

According to Expressen's sources, Madeleine snobs the Swedish fashion houses and has chosen a wedding dress from Valentino.
This spring Madeleine turned to her best girlfriends - Louise Gottlieb, Emma Pernald, Katarina von Horn, Ellen Dinkelspiel and Charlotte Cederlund for help with the choice. Her friends have, reportedly to Expressen, been in both Milan and Paris for work on dress and representatives from Valentino have been in Stockholm. According to Expressen's knowledge the future sister in law Sofia Hellqvist is the only one in the circle of Madeleine who had not been involved in the process.
Madeleine's future mother in law, Chris's mother Eva O'Neill wore a dress by Valentino at the banns.
Madeleine har valt klänning till bröllopet Prinsessbröllopet Madde & Chris Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation
Old 06-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Courtier

Wow, that would be great. I personally would also prefer a Valentino gown. I predict something with a touch of lace
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen's royal reporter Johan T Lindwall, who is behind the article about that the wedding dress is from Valentino, chatted with Expressen's readers. He said that he thinks that if a Swedish princess gets married, she should also represent Sweden to the extent that she chooses a Swedish designer for the wedding dress. He finds it extremely odd that Madeleine chose to pass the swedish designers. Nowadays when the Royal House is often criticized, he thinks it would have been smarter by Madeleine to choose a swedish designer.

Aftonbladet writes that Madeleine wanted to have a totally private wedding. But according to Aftonbladet's source the king demanded the TV-coverage.
Six months before Victoria's wedding the agreement of the TV-coverage was made. Only two months before the wedding came the decision about that Madeleine's wedding will be shown on TV. Madeleine didn't want TV-cameras to her wedding. They were discussing about that already before the engagement was published.
Håkan Pettersson, who was the wedding coordinator for Victoria and Daniel, arranges also this wedding. The king and the queen make all the comprehensive decisions, and Håkan Pettersson puts them into practise, says Bertil Ternert.
Madeleine is afraid of criticism. She doesn't want anything in the wedding to cause wrong reactions or provocation. Sources close to the royal family tell that Madeleine has been hesitant. She tried a dress at a boutique in New York, she was going to use the dress in some wedding event. She called to her mother and described the dress before she was able to decide and didn't buy the dress, because the queen thought that the dress was too revealing.
When Madeleine and Chris should choose music which Peter Jöback will sing at the wedding, it was also difficult for Madeleine.
- It should be appropriate for the occasion and at the same time personal for the princess and Chris, says the source.
Madeleine asked help from her mother with the song.
- It is important for Madeleine to have the acceptance of the king and queen in everything, says Roger Lundgren, the chief editor of the "Kungliga magasinet".
Kungaparet styr Maddes bröllop Bröllopet Aftonbladet

Svensk Damtidning's article about the preparations at Drottningholm, they are almost ready. The party tent has been built.
Chris and Madeleine were seen driving from the Royal Palace, and the king and the queen at one car, Carl Philip at his car and Sofia at her car.
Bröllopsförberedelserna pågår för fullt… Svensk Damtidning
Translation

The wedding is at 16.00
The cortege leaves from the Royal Palace at 18.00.
Three ships take the bride and groom and the guests from Riddarholmen to Drottningholm Palace at approximately 18.30.
The arrival to Drottningholm about 19.30.
http://www.sgb.se/SGBFiles/2013/06/c...68e7dd6_tb.jpg
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Madeleine's and Chris' children can also have Bernadotte as their last name, at least according to the swedish laws.

According to Expressen, the cortege route is 2 kilometers long, at Victoria's and Daniel's wedding it was 6,8 kilometers.

The Swedish Republican Association about Madeleine's wedding
Om Madeleine Bernadottes bröllop - Republikanska föreningen
Translation

According to Expressen's sources, Madeleine snobs the Swedish fashion houses and has chosen a wedding dress from Valentino.
This spring Madeleine turned to her best girlfriends - Louise Gottlieb, Emma Pernald, Katarina von Horn, Ellen Dinkelspiel and Charlotte Cederlund for help with the choice. Her friends have, reportedly to Expressen, been in both Milan and Paris for work on dress and representatives from Valentino have been in Stockholm. According to Expressen's knowledge the future sister in law Sofia Hellqvist is the only one in the circle of Madeleine who had not been involved in the process.
Madeleine's future mother in law, Chris's mother Eva O'Neill wore a dress by Valentino at the banns.
Madeleine har valt klänning till bröllopet Prinsessbröllopet Madde & Chris Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation
Eva Maria O´Neill wore this dress http://www.stylebop.com/de/product_d...=148&id=472135
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Nobility

Aftonbladet has published a guest list which apparently they got from the royal court, the official guest will not be published until the morning of the 7th of June by the press department of the royal court and could be a bit different from aftonbladet's one, as guests may cancel or confirm their attendance in the near future. Their guest list includes Princess Charlene of Monaco and Princess Takamado of Japan,and Princess Nikolaos, princess Tatiana, Princess Theodora, Prince Philipos Crown Prince Pavlos, and Crown Princess Marie-Chantal from Greece

unfortunately not representatives from Belgium Spain and the Netherlands www.aftonbladet.se/brollopet/article16900679.ab - Translator
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
Aftonbladet has published a guest list which apparently they got from the royal court, the official guest will not be published until the morning of the 7th of June by the press department of the royal court and could be a bit different from aftonbladet's one, as guests may cancel or confirm their attendance in the near future. Their guest list includes Princess Charlene of Monaco and Princess Takamado of Japan,and Princess Nikolaos, princess Tatiana, Princess Theodora, Prince Philipos Crown Prince Pavlos, and Crown Princess Marie-Chantal from Greece

unfortunately not representatives from Belgium Spain and the Netherlands www.aftonbladet.se/brollopet/article16900679.ab - Translator
Mr Valentino Garavani and Mr Giancarlo Giametti are on this list... so it looks that Expressen's scoop of the dress was right.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Mr Valentino Garavani and Mr Giancarlo Giametti are on this list... so it looks that Expressen's scoop of the dress was right.
They might be right, some are criticising her for not choosing a Swedish designer, but i think that stuff like that should be the bride's decision as is after all her wedding not just a state event, and she did choose a swedish designer for the marriage banns and the official photographs with mr'oneill
Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post

What about Princess Lalla Salma?
Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
What about Princess Lalla Salma?
The news papar said that this is not the final guest list and that some names may change, however, i dont know about Lalla Salma. I don't think the court will publish to which foreign courts the invitations were sent
Old 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Herr Patrick von Ribbentrop and Frau Valerie von Ribbentrop resp
Mr Sebastian von Ribbentrop and Mrs Isabelle vin Ribbentrop

Patrick von Ribbentrops dad was named Rudolf and Hauptsturmführer i Waffen-SS and Patricks granddad Joachim was the architecht of the Ribbentorp-Molotov pact.

It has to be the first time in a long time anyone with this close connection to the inner circle of the nazi party was invited to something like this?

King Charles XVI Gustavs father was married in Germany and iirc there were som top ranking nazis present.

Among the people in Sweden the general feeling is: "Meh" towards Madeleins wedding compared to Victoria
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv View Post
A pity that the Dutch House is not represented. You can compare Madeleine´s wedding to Märtha´s and there Maxima and WA attended. The situation now will be a result of the WA`s kingship and Amalia still being too young.
Amalia is not the first child heir. The innaugeration of Bea, Benedikte and one of JC's sisters attended since Fred and Felipe were too young.

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine