Your thoughts about (Dutch) Abdications

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: I think it is wonderful that abdication is an option in the Netherlands. When your Queen decides she can no longer carry on as well as she has before she will decide it is time to rest and abdicate having trained up the Crown Princely couple to her exacting standards and sure they will aquit themselves well.

Unfortuneately, due to the history of the later part of the 20th Century, Queen Elizabeth does not have that option, but at least she still has a consort to love and support herl

:previous: I think it is wonderful that abdication is an option in the Netherlands. When your Queen decides she can no longer carry on as well as she has before she will decide it is time to rest and abdicate having trained up the Crown Princely couple to her exacting standards and sure they will aquit themselves well.

Unfortuneately, due to the history of the later part of the 20th Century, Queen Elizabeth does not have that option, but at least she still has a consort to love and support herl

Abdication is always an option everywhere.It is one of the Prerogatives of the Monarch to decide that,everywhere.That nonsense nazi Edward VIII didn't change that,alltho Aunty Lillibeth might feel it does.She does still hang on as to be the by God annointed one.Yes,well,she's the last of her generation to hang on to that.

But this thread is about the Dutch,so,it's Dutch we discuss.:)

I wonder why people ask when Queen Beatrix is going to abdicate? She is still relatively young and her people seem to love her. Is it just the eternal need for new and "fresh" young royals?

Abdication may be an option in countries like the Netherlands, however, I see no reason why any monarch should. If he or she is loved by the people and coping with their royal duties, why even think about it? Age should not be an issue either. Obviously one can always delegate to the younger royals if duties do become too demanding. I do think it is totally insensitive to even discuss the possible abdication of Queen Beatrix. She is lovely.

Last edited:
Not true,Only Queen Wilhelmina Abdicated as she was impressed by the example of Emperor Charles V,who abdicated when he found his strenght was lingering the wrong way and was tired in old age.She thought that to be wise,and as it was after WWII and she indeed was tired,she choose the Abdication.

Actually, King William I also abdicated following troubles surrounding his intended second marriage to catholic Belgian lady-in-waiting Henriette d'Oultremont. William I was also severely desillusioned by the loss of Belgium.

If it became apparent that Beatrix had no intention of abdicating and assuming she remains in good health would there be an adverse reaction from the public? There is afterall no requirement that she step down and let WA accend the throne before her death.

Actually, King William I also abdicated following troubles surrounding his intended second marriage to catholic Belgian lady-in-waiting Henriette d'Oultremont. William I was also severely desillusioned by the loss of Belgium.

I am aware of that yes,I even wrote about it on that specific thread here,iirc,years ago.

Galitzine,no, there would not be an adverse reaction at all.But,it is all up to her,and her alone.Any speculation is going nowhere and an insult to HM for the work she has done and does.It's nobodies business untill whatever She decides and if then it will be Her's to decide,not the hyped up kids on fora or Boards.:)

:previous:
Dutch people take legitimate interest in the future of their Head of State. And the rest of us royal watchers are just interested.

In my opinion, Queen Beatrix is unlikely to abdicate within the next 5-10 years. The Crown Princely couple are parents to three daughters who are still very young; I think the Queen will give them some time to lead a (relatively) normal life before abdicating. Princess Amalia is just way too young to become Heiress Apparent to the throne.

That's more or less what I think of King Albert of Belgium; the Duke and Duchess of Brabant need a little more time to raise their children.

Why the speculation? Does it really matter? What ramifications if she does not abdicate, or if HM Queen Beatrix does abdicate?

Any talk of Abdication is simply not relevant,not opportune.At all.
Not for some time to come.She's doing fine,inspite of recent events,
she's spot on and enjoying her work.Thank goodness she has her work,
especially now.

Back
Top Bottom