Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
HM Queen Beatrix will make an announcement at 19:00 in a special broadcast on television and radio. The RVD did not say anything about the content. The mesage has been recorded earlier today.

RVD: boodschap koningin om 19.00 - NOS Nieuws

----

The NOS claims that 'sources around the court' say that she will announce her abdication.

---

Live broadcast already started: http://nos.nl/nieuws/live/journaal24/

Last edited:
I just heard about it. I'll be right next to the radio.

19:00? That's about two hours from now, correct?

Well, this could be one of two things IMO. Sigh.

Oh no, seriously? Could this be what we all expect it to be?!

19:00? That's about two hours from now, correct?

Well, this could be one of two things IMO. Sigh.

An hour and 10 minutes.

Oh no, seriously? Could this be what we all expect it to be?!

My gut feeling tells me that it is. Its going on a year now since the accident. I would think something like making a decision is something the Queen would make a special broadcast about.

Beatrix has had an unimaginable year - so whatever this announcement is, I hope it brings her some sort of peace.

Could be something to do with Friso.

Beatrix has had an unimaginable year - so whatever this announcement is, I hope it brings her some sort of peace.

If this announcement is what seems logical to us, I imagine its the hardest broadcast she'll ever have to make. Perhaps letting go is the most humane thing to do but it can also be the hardest.

My first thought that it has something to do with Friso, but I think I need to boot up my lap top...

Well, I hope it's nothing really bad. I'm thinking it could be her abdication too.

I can't see why it will be about prince Friso. Up to now all the announcements about him were made by the RVD. As said, the public channel claims that sources around the court say it will be her abdication. RTL says the same, their correspondent is getting more and more phone calls that confirm that it is an abdication. They changed their headline already to 'Queen Beatrix abdicates'. An extra speech from the prime minister is expeted too.

This is will be the second special announcement by HM, the previous one was on the occassion of the engagement of the prince of Orange.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21237254

Last edited:
It's got to be an abdication.

If it were Friso, they would be spotted by media flocking to his bedside. Nor would one expect his mother to have to face a TV camera and give the dreadful news.

Will we be able to hear the announcement on NOS?

I saw this on twitter. Why would she abdicate? I haven't been following this at all.

I saw this on twitter. Why would she abdicate? I haven't been following this at all.

It's a sort of Dutch tradition to abdicate, she's had an incredibly rough year.

Sky news is saying that it's going to be her abdication.

It's got to be an abdication.

If it were Friso, they would be spotted by media flocking to his bedside. Nor would one expect his mother to have to face a TV camera and give the dreadful news.

I think if it was an announcement about Friso, it would be to announce his death. They very well possibly could have made a decision and kept it private with only family members there. We don't know. The more I do think about it, an abdication announcement makes more sense.

She will turn 75 this week. Seems like a good age to abdicate. I can't remember who it was; the Queen or one of her sons, mentioned that she would really love to retire to Drakensteyn and spend her days with her grandchildren. And she earned it, for sure.

Wow, this is interesting. I always find it odd that the Dutch Monarchs abdicate, as I always feel being a Monarch is for life. But if it's tradition then why break from it?

I do hope it's not about Frisco, as that will be awfully sad but we will find out soon. I hope to watch it, though I do not speak any Dutch.

We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.

@RoyalReporter: Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte will address the nation after Queen Beatrix's speech tonight.

We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.

Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.

I think it may well be her abdication. This will allow her to grieve without having to keep up appearances. I know I've worded this very badly. I hope my intent comes through. I know she is grieving already and continues to perform her duty admirably. I just think that with such an awful situation going on with her son, she may want to retreat a bit from public duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom