Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I was off by one. That said, is that something that female monarchs do, or is it something that Willem-Alexander will be expected to do as well?

He may see fit to abdicate for his daughter, it seems quite a sensible thing to do really.

Feeling better now for having seen Queen Beatrix make her announcement. This is such an historical moment it Dutch history and I will be focusing much attention to what happens now over the next few months. My partner just called to say we can go to the Natherlands for the Inauguration!
Queen Beatrix has been an incredible monarch, and incredible mother to her nation and an incredible mother to her children. In national disasters, she has been there to comforting people and in times of national celebration, she has been a vibrant and beautiful focus for all to see. HM has carried out her duties with great diligence and with proper formality, yet with great charm and dignity. She has been a strong and forceful character, yet has always posessed an amazing sense of humour and a dazzling smile. She was the first foreign royal head of state I ever knew about back in the early 1980's when I first took an interest in royalty.
Willem-Alexander will be a Great king for the people of the Netherlands and will have his wonderful Maxima at his side. Yet, it will take me a long time to get used to saying "the Dutch King" and even longer to get used to the idea of saying "Princess Beatrix"!!

Is anybody here from Hollad? If yes, what is your opinion about that?Thanks

a bit silly but made me smile

twitter "Prince Charles":

Ok, Mother, give one the remote control. There's something about to start on Dutch TV that you'd enjoy. #beatrix

LOL, i'm sure the articles on Charles's future will now start up once again.

Wow, it was so many times speculated that it would happen and now the moment is there. What a sweet speech she made.
I hope she can enjoy her future as Princess with her family around her.
She can be very proud of her reign.

I actually like this tradition of the Dutch monarchs to abdicate. They can enjoy their old day in relative peace and the crown prince(ss) don't have to wait until they are middle aged.

And now there are so many things to talk about on this forum!
What will Willem-Alexander's title be?
Will W-A and Maxima live in Villa Eikenhorst or will they move?
Will 'King's day' be held on the 30th of April or on W-A's birthday as of 2014?
Will Constantijn and Laurentien go back to the Netherlands to support the new King and Queen.
How will the inauguration be?

We'll have a great time in the next few months here!

Is anybody here from Hollad? If yes, what is your opinion about that?Thanks
I am.

And I am looking forward to it. I wouldn't want to see an 80 year old woman/man going on until death. We all work for our retirement and so has Beatrix. She's earned it. Though I'm a little bit sad that the tradition of a country led by Queens will now be broken.

[edit] I don't like the tradition to go on until death. A good example is ofcourse Elizabeth and Charles. Charles himself is already of the age to go into retirement himself. Sometimes being a good example (a monarch in this case) means going with the times and let a younger generation have it's turn.

I just read the translation of the Queen's speech, and the last paragraph really summarized what I think is the nice part about this situation, in that Beatrix isn't saying goodbye, as such, and will still be able to play an active role in the country.

Bittersweet is the perfect word to use. It's sad, but I do understand why she would want to 'retire' too and I think this year is a good year to do that in. I hope Beatrix will remain an active part of the royal family like I believe her mother did.

Well, I suppose those 3 little princesses better get used to seeing a lot less of their parents from now on? How sad for them. I don't see the logic in abdicating when the new monarch's children are still so small. From what I've read previously here, the accepted understanding was that Beatrix would wait until her granddaughters were older.

Abdication as a concept is wrong to me, but I can see the Dutch like it. I'm personally enormously thankful that my own Queen has not abdicated. Had she done so Prince Charles would not have been able to make anywhere near the positive impact that he has through his charities. Being monarch is a straight-jacket that would have made Charles's transformation of hundreds of thousands of young people's lives impossible. Every Briton has reason to be thankful that abdication is anathema in the House of Windsor.

Maxima has never come across as a 'Queen' to me. She's obviously a very open person, but I don't look at her and think 'Queen'. We'll see how successfully she can fulfill the role.

I am sure that the then Princess Beatrix will support her son in the first time in his reign.

I am.

And I am looking forward to it. I wouldn't want to see an 80 year old woman/man going on until death. We all work for our retirement and so has Beatrix. She's earned it. Though I'm a little bit sad that the tradition of a country led by Queens will now be broken.

I think, and that's my opinion, that others monarchs would like to have the same option as Beatrix. Some years of rest after a life of dedication and pression.

Belgian prime minister Elio Di Rupo pays tribute to Queen Beatrix and wishes Willem-Alexander success: article

I agree, so bittersweet...

I am glad that she will still remain an active part of the royal family. I think it is lovely to pass the torch on this way and be able to be there to give guidance and support. :flowers:

Feeling better now for having seen Queen Beatrix make her announcement. This is such an historical moment it Dutch history and I will be focusing much attention to what happens now over the next few months. My partner just called to say we can go to the Natherlands for the Inauguration!
Queen Beatrix has been an incredible monarch, and incredible mother to her nation and an incredible mother to her children. In national disasters, she has been there to comforting people and in times of national celebration, she has been a vibrant and beautiful focus for all to see. HM has carried out her duties with great diligence and with proper formality, yet with great charm and dignity. She has been a strong and forceful character, yet has always posessed an amazing sense of humour and a dazzling smile. She was the first foreign royal head of state I ever knew about back in the early 1980's when I first took an interest in royalty.
Willem-Alexander will be a Great king for the people of the Netherlands and will have his wonderful Maxima at his side. Yet, it will take me a long time to get used to saying "the Dutch King" and even longer to get used to the idea of saying "Princess Beatrix"!!

What a lovely tribute you wrote!!!:flowers: She indeed is a very special person, I have always admired her and Prince Claus, may he RIP. Crown Prince Willem, I am sure, is more than ready to take the throne, as he has had the best educator in his mother and father. God Bless all of them.:):)

I am.

[edit] I don't like the tradition to go on until death. A good example is ofcourse Elizabeth and Charles. Charles himself is already of the age to go into retirement himself. Sometimes being a good example (a monarch in this case) means going with the times and let a younger generation have it's turn.

Yeah, I know it may be a little hard on Charles, although I think he's enjoying his current role as Prince of Wales. The Queen will most likely continue on until she's not able to go on anymore and then hand things over to Charles or until her passing.

I think everyone would prefer her to hand the throne over to Charles than everyone getting some sad news.

Last edited:
Its' the first time since I became "addicted" to royal families that I could see such important event. I was watching it on Euronews and I was impressed by dignity of Her Majesty. It was so emotional for me that my mascara wore off....
Long live The King Wilhelm!

Its' the first time since I became "addicted" to royal families that I could see such important event. I was watching it on Euronews and I was impressed by dignity of Her Majesty. It was so emotional for me that my mascara wore off....
Long live The King Wilhelm!

I am the same way!!! I am from the United States, but love to study royalty and I found myself with tears in my eyes reading about Queen Beatrix's abdication!!!:flowers:

You can watch Queen Beatrix's installation ceremony from 1980 on the Dutch monarchies Youtube channel. The monarch is not crowned but the regalia is on a table at the ceremony. The dress code is similar to the Dutch opening of parliament. No tiaras except for the new Queen.

I think, and that's my opinion, that others monarchs would like to have the same option as Beatrix. Some years of rest after a life of dedication and pression.
As she said in her speech IIUC the reason for abdicating now is not because she wants a rest (or the burden is too heavy) but because she thinks it's the right time for a change of generation.
I have the feeling that abdication was an obligation not an option for Beatrix. I don't think she had the option to stay on the throne until death. Since years people were asking when she would abdicate.
Though perhaps her 2nd sons situation and her wish to support her daugter in law might also be a reason for abdicating now - sooner than I thought (my guess was 2015-2018).

It is a sad day for the Netherlands, another head of state is forced upon us.

Here is a translation of the announcement (Google translate, so the English is not exact!): -

"As you all know, I hope in a few days to celebrate my 75th birthday. I am grateful that I have the honor this day in good health to be facing. At the end of this year we will commemorate our country two hundred years ago kingdom, which in our history, a new era dawned. The coincidence of these two special events for me is the inspiration for deciding this year from my office to resign. It seems a good time to take this step, which I already have some year consider, now actually take.
I have always regarded as an exceptional privilege of a large part of my life in the service of our country to adopt and implement under my command to be able to give the kingship. It was Prince Claus me many years to great support.
To this day, this beautiful task given me great satisfaction. It is inspiring themselves with people involved feel, to live with grief and share in times of joy and national pride. I have also been able to experience in the Caribbean parts of our kingdom, where I always much warmth and cordiality have encountered. I come therefore not return because the office too heavy for me to fall, but from the conviction that the responsibility for our country now in the hands of a new generation must lie. It is with the greatest confidence that I am on 30 April this year the kingdom shall hand over to my son, the Prince of Orange. He and Princess Máxima are fully prepared for their future roles. They will serve our country with dedication, faithful to the Constitution and to maintain all their talents own interpretation to the kingship.
I feel strengthened by the thought that the way to my successor does not mean that I say goodbye to you. I hope many of you still often meet. I am deeply grateful to you for the trust you have given me in the many beautiful years in which I could be your queen. "

As she said in her speech IIUC the reason for abdicating now is not because she wants a rest (or the burden is too heavy) but because she thinks it's the right time for a change of generation.
I have the feeling that abdication was an obligation not an option for Beatrix. I don't think she had the option to stay on the throne until death. Since years people were asking when she would abdicate.
Though perhaps her 2nd sons situation and her wish to support her daugter in law might also be a reason for abdicating now - sooner than I thought (my guess was 2015-2018).

I thought the same about her situation and Friso. I am a mom, and I cannot imagine what Queen Beatrix and Mabel and her girls have been going through.:sad::sad:

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it may be a little hard on Charles, although I think he's enjoying his current role as Prince of Wales. The Queen will most likely continue on until she's not able to go on anymore and then hand things over to Charles or until her passing.

I think everyone would prefer her to hand the throne over to Charles than everyone getting some sad news.
I'm sure he is enjoying it. He's done many great things for charities as the Prince of Wales.
It would be such a double feeling for him. Your mother has just died which is incredibly sad but then this extremely priviliged position is bestowed upon you. Which must be extremely thrilling and daunting at the same time. But the person who raised you and taught you won't be there to help you or guide you.

But I guess that's tradition for every other monarchy that is not Dutch.

And I believe abdicating has always been her wish. As her mother and grandmother have done before her. She will still be able to play an active role in our society but now she has more free time she wants to spend with loved ones.

What will Willem-Alexander's title be?
!

King Willem Alexander. Not King Willem IV apparently.

Well, I suppose those 3 little princesses better get used to seeing a lot less of their parents from now on? How sad for them. I don't see the logic in abdicating when the new monarch's children are still so small. From what I've read previously here, the accepted understanding was that Beatrix would wait until her granddaughters were older.
Every Briton has reason to be thankful that abdication is anathema in the House of Windsor.

Actually of all the royal couples I see WA and Maxima being as attentive to their children, as they are now. They don't seem the nanny type. As a Briton I completely disagree with your assessment, I feel sorry for Charles because of the short time he'll have as monarchy, as well as grieving for his mother. Beatrix is still around to grow old with her family, mentor her son and granddaughter.

The King of The Netherlands can not bestow titles on anybody he pleases he has to follow the constitution, we are not in a third world country without a written constitution like the UK.

I'll go with Lucien on this, and yes because not having a constitution has done my country so much harm. LOL!

It is a sad day for the Netherlands, another head of state is forced upon us.

Did the Dutch vote for their monarchs in the past or have I missed something?

How old were W-A when his mother became Queen?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom