Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if she gave a notice ahead of time to the other European Monarchs? Such an historic moment.

I wonder if the Netherlands will get new Euro coins when Beatrix abdicates. ;)

Oooh, thanks for reminding me Her_Majesty, I should keep couple of those Euros with Beatrix's face
And here we go....

Amalia will be a very young heir if it is in fact true

A funny tweet about a fake Prince Charles: Ok, mother, give one the remote control. There's something about to start on Dutch TV that you'd enjoy.

Abdication it is.

She doesn't think that it is too much of a burden, but she thinks it is time for the next generation.

The abdication & inauguration will be on April 30th

Last edited:
No, he was the heir to the throne at age 7 not The Prince Of Orange, the heir will get that title when he or she turns 18.

He's been The Prince of Orange since 1980, when he was 13 and when his mother became Queen Regnant. What evidence do you have for this 18 rule?

I wonder if she gave a notice ahead of time to the other European Monarchs?

Why?

Abdication...I feel quite emotional.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. :D

Do you think other Royals are watching it?...

Very bittersweet indeed.

On the other hand, I am sure Willem-Alexander and Maxima will make a great King and Queen.

Abdication with effect from the 30th April - tradition or what?!

Last edited:
weird question, but do you think the "other" monarchs got a heads up on this one? Just curious more than anything else.

Good speech, loved the mentioning that she does not say goodbye to us but hopes to meet us again in the future and

that she was thankful for being able to serve

The only parts I understood were something about Prince Claus and then something about Maxima .. and finally, Queen Mother. Is that how she will now be known? When does this officially happen?

Wow, it's official then. Wow, I'm a little speechless.

That's definitely bittersweet. A new Royal couple with King Willem and Queen Maxima...and a new Princess of Orange.

When "Het Wilhelmus" was played I got tears in my eyes. Thank you, HM Queen Beatrix.

weird question, but do you think the "other" monarchs got a heads up on this one? Just curious more than anything else.

I don't see why they would, Beatrix may have told Elizabeth II they're friends.

The only parts I understood were something about Prince Claus and then something about Maxima .. and finally, Queen Mother. Is that how she will now be known? When does this officially happen?

Abdication effective as of 30th April 2013.

The title of prince of Orange is reserved for the eldest son of the monarch, there is no such thing as a crownprince in the Netherlands.

Abdication it is.

She doesn't think that it is too much of a burden, but she thinks it is time for the next generation.

The abdication & inauguration will be on April 30th

Is the inauguration the same as coronation?

She has been a good queen. It´s good that her reign will be remembered nicely by the Dutch people. I think it was a good moment to retire.

Amazing. I'm with others- this is certainly bittersweet. But, I really like in the Dutch tradition (by now it is a tradition!) of abdication, there is a gentle transition from one monarch to the next. It is not attached to a death and a funeral, but rather a poignant passing of the torch. With The Queen's 75th birthday later this week, it seems to be quite deliberate timing.

It is really a bittersweet moment, I always loved her as a queen and as a person, at least is what the images show of her. I hope all good things for her and now for the new king and queen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom