Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my… An abdication. This is too soon for me to hear but I respect how she would like to rest and spend time with her family.

She will turn 75 this week. Seems like a good age to abdicate. I can't remember who it was; the Queen or one of her sons, mentioned that she would really love to retire to Drakensteyn and spend her days with her grandchildren. And she earned it, for sure.
It is quite an interesting tradition. Being King/Queen Regnant is a position to be held during one's lifetime. It is understandable that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix wishes to have a well-deserved retirement and spend more time with her grandchildren. She will still be available to advise King Willem-Alexander on tricky situations he may encounter.
Veering off the topic, I for one think that the Netherlands precedent might be considered by other European kingdoms.

Last edited:
Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.

Oh my, a coronation! I had not even thought of that. It would be the first I will have ever seen too.

An hour is a long time to wait. I am ever so impatient.

HM Queen Beatrix will make an announcement at 19:00 in a special broadcast on television and radio. The RVD did not say anything about the content. The mesage has been recorded earlier today.

RVD: boodschap koningin om 19.00 - NOS Nieuws

----

The NOS claims that 'sources around the court' say that she will announce her abdication.

---

Live broadcast already started: NOS Nieuws - Livestream - Journaal 24

HM is to announce Her Abdication.

I am confident in Alexander and Máxima will do a great job,
but still,sad,HM did/does a wonderfull job.

Rats - I have to teach a class during the time of the announcement and won't be able to see it live. :sad: I'll rush to the forums as soon as my class is over to read everyone's posts.

Wow, this is interesting. I always find it odd that the Dutch Monarchs abdicate, as I always feel being a Monarch is for life. But if it's tradition then why break from it?

I do hope it's not about Frisco, as that will be awfully sad but we will find out soon. I hope to watch it, though I do not speak any Dutch.

We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.

If that's so, that and Amalia will become an heir at 9!

It is quite an interesting tradition. Kings and Queens are considered to be a position for life. It is understandable that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix wishes to have a well-deserved retirement and spend more time with her grandchildren. She will still be available to advise King Willem-Alexander on tricky situations he may encounter. Veering off the topic, I for one think that the Netherlands precedent might be considered by other European kingdoms.
I think there is something very nice about this tradition. She's abdicating as a vital, wise woman whom paved the way for her children and grandchildren. Making way for the young, so to speak.

But perhaps it's also the Dutch mentality. Our work is our work, not our life.

If it is an abdication, the Netherlands will have it's first king in 123 years.

HM is to announce Her Abdication.

I am confident in Alexander and Máxima will do a great job,
but still,sad,HM did/does a wonderfull job.

Whilst it is likely, you cannot say for certain.

This will be the first time I will see a royal inauguration. If that's what's about to happen.

Is it possible that nos.nl is only available in dutch areas?

Wow...I wasn't expecting this at all. I hope it's about her abdication because it would be dreadful to announce one's son death from television.
But if that's the reason I find it quite unexpected and tbh I think it's too early for WA to become King. I'm sure he's ready...but the girls are so young and they certainly still need their parents with them, not a King and a Queen.
On the other hand I think Queen Beatrix went through a lot in the past year, and I'm sure she made the best decision for her family and her country.
So, if we are talking about an abdication, I'm looking forward to see King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima!!!

Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.

The Dutch do not have coronations. They have a formal installation of the new monarch, but that is a civil ceremony. The regalia is present but the monarch is never crowned.

you can also watch on youtube principessa. But I can watch it from Germany

So is that at 6pm in the Uk?

While I can understand her reasons for wanting to abdicate if it is an abdication there is something very sad about that.

So excited right now! I rememer so well the announcement Queen Juliana made in 1980!

The Dutch do not have coronations. They have a formal installation of the new monarch, but that is a civil ceremony. The regalia is present but the monarch is never crowned.

Ah! Thanks much for correcting me on this. :D

It will still be interesting and historic.

What time on the east coast of the U.S.? I do have a feeling it's about an abdication and not Friso -- that's a personal issue and I can't believe she would speak publicly about so personal and tragic a subject.

I had hoped that she would serve until death. I'm not a big fan of the retirement thing for monarchs.

I have some problems with reaching the nos.nl-site. At my browser there is always an "Error"-Site. I am driving crazy.

Are foreign royals attending this installation, is this going to be a big royal event or not?

Checking NOS, sources close to the Royal Court comfirm it's an abdication. Queen Juliana abdicated on this date in 1980.

I too think it must be an abdication though it'll be sad to see Beatrix step down, she seemed like quite a wonderful and beloved regent. I don't think I would be able to process it if QMII decided to abdicate, but then again that might be because it isn't a tradition here in Denmark, might make it a bit easier in the Netherlands. It'll be exciting to see in forty minutes if it really is an abdication.

On God no, I'm feeling very unsettled about this - whether it relates to Friso or abdiction, I'm not ready for this kind of news.

On the Nos.nl livestream, its stating its about the expected abdication. Although I can't read Dutch which is what the livestream is, the actual webpage is translated into English which helps me out a lot.

I'm willing to be it is news of abdication now.

So is that at 6pm in the Uk?

While I can understand her reasons for wanting to abdicate if it is an abdication there is something very sad about that.

Yes, 6pm - I think I'm going to cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom