Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How strange for Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria to now be expected to curtsey to maxima! Although I know Mette-Marit is terribly fond of a good curtsey!

PS that is a joke I am a real fan of Mette Marit!

That was my same thought. I hope P.Madeleine and P.Felix will have proper royal weddings (not a low-profile wedding) so they can attend as King and Queen *can't wait*

That was my same thought. I hope P.Madeleine and P.Felix will have proper royal weddings (not a low-profile wedding) so they can attend as King and Queen *can't wait*
You forget that Kings and Queens usually only attend weddings of monarchs and heirs, not weddings of "less important" royals, unless they are family or god-children.

I wonder how strange it may be for W-A and M to attend events as King and Queen now, particularly at events where there is large representation from the other houses in Europe. W-A and M are probably used to sitting in the "second row" (lol) with Frederick/Mary, Philippe/Mathilde, Victoria/Daniel, Haakon and MM, and now they will be in the "front row" with their parents!

How strange for Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria to now be expected to curtsey to maxima! Although I know Mette-Marit is terribly fond of a good curtsey!

PS that is a joke I am a real fan of Mette Marit!
We'll just have to wait and see. CP Victoria is royal by birth and heir apparent. The situation is different for Mary and Mette-Marit. We should not lump CP Victoria in with other crownprincesses. She is in a group by herself.

We'll just have to wait and see. CP Victoria is royal by birth and heir apparent. The situation is different for Mary and Mette-Marit. We should not lump CP Victoria in with other crownprincesses. She is in a group by herself.

Why would Victoria not curtsey to Queen Maxima? She curtsies to the Queen of Norway so why not the Queen of The Netherlands? Victoria's own mother was born a commoner and other "born" princesses curtsey to her. You curtsey to the rank/position not the person.

Well the fact remains that while both Willem Alexander and Victoria are royals by blood and were born heir apparants Willem Alexander will now be a King and as such above Victoria.

Well she's not alone anymore. Little Amalia joined her (even if not officially till she'll be 18...if I got it correctly)

I think the Dutch have it right with throwing in the towel when one tires of things. So much better to have a coronation/investiture NOT followed by funerals and mourning, etc. That just gives it all such a maudlin air better reserved for less dignified countries.....

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.

:lol::lol: I love how you have stated it.
As we say in french "je suis d'accord sur le fond mais pas sur la forme":D
I too love the way the dutch are doing it.Not only the queen needs to rest and spend some time with her family but I hate the idea of a coronation followed by a funeral.
I am sure Willem Alexander and Maxima will do an exellent work.Good luck to them and nice retirement for Queen Beatrix.

Does the Dutch protocol even require a curtsey?

Not from other Dutchmen, but visiting royals generally follow traditional protocol as do Dutch royals when abroad. It was Queen Juliana who let it be known that one did not need to curtsey to her. Juliana also preferred to be addressed as Madame and not Majesty. Beatrix restored the Majesty.

This is such a bittersweet announcement.
Queen Beatrix has been a fantastic Monarch; it's sad to see her go. And I will never used to calling her "Princess Beatrix".
On the other hand, I have no doubts Willem-Alexander and Maxima will make a fine King and Queen of the Netherlands.

Last edited:
On the train of thought about the bowing and curtseying I think this will be strange for the current crop of Crown Princely couples as well as for W-A and Maxima. They are so much younger than the other Monarchs and consorts.

From royal watching over the past few years (and I could be wrong) I have noticed that Mette Marit will curtsey to the Crown Princes and to Crown Princess Victoria whereas Maxima and Mary wouldn't. They are all of similar titles but I always assumed she saw them as blood royals and as a result slightly higher than herself. As a result of this thinking does this now mean she will curtsey to Catharina-Amalia as she will be a heir apparent of royal birth?

I hope I make myself clear here!

Very dignified:

Princess Máxima called prime minister Rutte to inform him that her parents decided not to attend the inauguration ceremony.

I am actually very sad to see Queen Beatrix go :crown3::heart:and I am not even dutch. She seems like such a warming loving monarch plus I would of liked to see the 3-A be a little older before their parents have to put duty first. W-A and Maxima seem like such involved loving parents, I wish they had more time to just be in the wings waiting, so their girls could enjoy more of their childhood. Amalia will now become the crown Princess and all the things that go along with it at 9, I just wanted her to have more time, it seems like yesterday we were commenting and laughing at the gorgeous little toddler in the little blue dress. I hope the same thing for Prince Christian, Princess Ingrid-Alexandra, Princess Elisabeth and Infanta Leonor. Their lives are already mapped out for them, so any time left to be a child, I think, would be wonderful! Maybe as an American I don't clearly understand the situation but anytime a child can remain a child, I love it. I know that there are going to be posters who say "nobody took her childhood, she will still have it" but to me it just wont be as relaxed and normal because she is now the Crowned Princess. This is just my opinion

Prinsjesdag will now be opened by WA in the company of his wife Maxima!!!
and Amalia's 10th birthday photoshoot will be with her parents as King&Queen and her as an heir aparent.

cant wait to see this year's photosession at Lech!!!

While I'm excited for the splendor of a coronation (dare I hope?), I can't help feeling like she's taking the coward's way out. If her health is still good, and her mind is intact, there is no reason she shouldn't continue with her duties. But I also realize there is precedence here. Both her mother and grandmother abdicated. I assume she'll be spending more time in London helping Mabel with the kids, caring for Friso, etc.

Very dignified:

Princess Máxima called prime minister Rutte to inform him that her parents decided not to attend the inauguration ceremony.

Dignified, and quite a relief TBH. I am pleasantly surprised how the palae atually takes charge & immidiately announced a date, titles, names, future palaces, the absence of Máxima's parents, provincial visits, IOC membership etc. Insecurities about these things can quickly be hyped in the press otherwise. The only negative points in the near future that we can expect now will be the costs of the ceremony and esp. the costs of the renovation of Huis ten Bosch palace (which undoubtably will be needed after 33 years).

I wonder if and when Constantijn and Laurentien will move back to The Netherlands and where they will live. Probably they will build a villa on the estate of Queen Beatrix/ Soestdijk palace or at the Horsten estate.

--------
RubyPrincess168 said:
While I'm excited for the splendor of a coronation (dare I hope?), I can't help feeling like she's taking the coward's way out. If her health is still good, and her mind is intact, there is no reason she shouldn't continue with her duties. But I also realize there is precedence here. Both her mother and grandmother abdicated. I assume she'll be spending more time in London helping Mabel with the kids, caring for Friso, etc.

According to the NOS she already visits her son in London nearly every weekend. I can't see what is so cowardly about abdicating, I think it is quite healthy & sensible actually.

Last edited:
Why Princess Maxima's parents won't be attending the inauguration ceremony?

This is such a bitter-sweet announcement.
Queen Beatrix has been a fantastic Monarch; it's sad to see her go. And I will never used to calling her "Princess Beatrix".
On the other hand, I have no doubts Willem-Alexander and Maxima will make a fine King and Queen of the Netherlands.

I concur with you there Artemisia,Queen Beatrix has been one of my favourite royals.

I assume it's not to overshadow the ceremony with rehearsing the old controversy surrounding Jorge Zorreguieta's (his service as a Minister during Videla's regime).

Last edited:

For the same reason they did not attend Maxima's wedding. Her father was a minister in the Argentinian junta and this remains controversial in The Netherlands.

I assume it's not to overshadow the ceremony with rehearsing the old controversy surrounded Jorge Zorreguiet's (his service as a Minister during Videla's regime).

Oh, well that's sad her parent weren't at the wedding and now they won't be there to see their daughter become Queen. I guess they will watch the ceremony on Tv or internet.

I concur with you there Artemisia,Queen Beatrix has been one of my favourite royals.

Well, we will see a bit less of her indeed, but in her announcement she said that she does not intend to retreat from public life. So I expect her to show up in public quite often, esp. the next few years.

I'm very sorry to see her go. She is a very wonderful, caring and loving person. The greatest monarch in Europe bar none.

So can I get this right, W-A and Maxima from this day on are now known as King and Queen. I've met Crown princess Maxima and I think she will do a great job as Queen

So can I get this right, W-A and Maxima from this day on are now known as King and Queen. I've met Crown princess Maxima and I think she will do a great job as Queen

No, they'll be known that way from April 30 on :)

I guess it won't be a big problem for the other Crown Princesses to curtsey to Maxima, that's part of the show and they are already used to such things.

However, Maxima & Willem-Alexander will be the first among the current generation of CP couple's who will become majesties. Mary & Frederik, Mette-Marit & Haakon, Victoria & Daniel and to some extent perhaps Mathilde & Phillipe are good friends and of M&W and they will benefit from their experiences I believe.

Interesting is that Duchess Camilla and Prince Charles will, if we are to stick to the protocol, have to curtsey or at least show proper respect to M&W, even though they are considerably older.

Well, we will see a bit less of her indeed, but in her announcement she said that she does not intend to retreat from public life. So I expect her to show up in public quite often, esp. the next few years.

That is indeed something after the initial shock of the news,I couldn't have envisaged Her Majesty going into seclusion like Queen Wilhelmina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom