Queen Beatrix Announces Abdication: January 28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse my ignorance, but I am confused. People here say Queen Beatrix will be known as "princess" But on wikipedia, it has a photo of the late Queen Emma and it says: "photo of Emma, the Queen Mother". Why would Queen Beatrix not be called the same?

Emma was never Queen Regnant. She was Queen Consort and then Queen Mother after the death of her husband Willem III. She was also the Regent during her daughters minority.

Gosh .... that is news .. am interested to watch it all .. is he popular in Holland ??

More generally, I just don't understand this idea that monarchs can 'resign'. It just feels wrong to me. Will Princess Beatrix have to curtsey to her son and daughter-in-law now?

I think that curtseying has been eliminated in the dutch royal family years ago :flowers: Queen Juliana didn't like it

More generally, I just don't understand this idea that monarchs can 'resign'. It just feels wrong to me. Will Princess Beatrix have to curtsey to her son and daughter-in-law now?

Curtsey was abolished in the Netherlands by Queen Juliana. I haven't seen Máxima make a curtsey to the Queen either.

I'm sure every monarch and their consort are "attentive" to their children as possible, but it's undoubtedly true that when a couple reach the top job they simply cannot be as present in their children's day to day lives as possible. From Charles in our own according to kornet, "3rd world" country, to Frederik in Denmark and Victoria in Sweden, they all have stated that they saw less of their parents than they would've liked to when they were growing up.

As regards Charles, I don't see why you see a short reign as any type of disappointment. History has shown that short reigns can be very effective and also very popular. Edward VII reigned very successfully for less than a decade, as did George VI for 16 years. Charles could conceivably reign for 20+ years.

If Charles had been King for the last 20 years, the UK would be very much the poorer. The constraints of the top job would've meant his charitable efforts would have had to be put aside, and William would not have been old enough or experienced enough to take it on.

I get the feeling Charles will bring a new flavor to his future role as Monarch. I think he will try to find a way to remain active in his charities and probably pass somethings down to his children and daughter-in-law.

What countries did Beatrix make her first state visit to and from?

In Sweden a new King or Queen makes a eriksgata to every county is this done in the netherlands?

Curtsey was abolished in the Netherlands by Queen Juliana. I haven't seen Máxima make a curtsey to the Queen either.

She abolished it? Why?

Because in the Netherlands we have no constitutional court, and the problem here is that judges can not judge laws passed by parliament.
But soon the EU will tackle that problem, we are not a sovereign country anymore since the ESM treaty we are part of the EUSSR dictatorship.

If you've come here to moan about the EU I'd forget it. Wasting your breath.

So Led Zeppelin wrote this for Maxima?

"If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen"

Or so :)

I am excited about the news of our Queen. This is a so historical moment for us. She has made a right choice to abidcate. I live in Amsterdam, so of course we go to the Dam square to see the whole inauguration.

More information from RTL: Willem-Alexander and family will continue to live at Villa Eikenhorst for now. On a later date they will move to the palace. The Queen will move to Drakensteyn.

The prince of Orange will step down as member of the IOC.

I think it is good that Willem-Alexander and Maxima will continue to live at Villa Eikenhorst. Their children can stay at their school and stay with their friends. Also an important fact.

I don't think the princesses need to switch school if they move toHuis ten Bosch, by car it should be a 5 minute drive from Eikenhorst.

Kornet sure knew the right button to push here :flowers: might want to ignore, don't think Kornet is interested in royalty-interested-conversations :ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't say he/she pushed my buttons, I'm not from the UK. I just thought it was a rather odd statement to make, and wanted some clarification on why they felt that way.

Some Monarchs, I think, view being King or Queen as a job, as they rightly should and know when to bow out. She may now to her son out of respect perhaps, I doubt she is required.

I suppose this is the nub of the issue and where we differ. To me being sovereign is not a job, it is a vocation and a duty. It's not something that a person does from 9-5 Monday to Friday until they reach retirement age.

The Dutch evidently look at things differently, but hey, life would be pretty bloody boring if we all saw things in the same way.

I get the feeling Charles will bring a new flavor to his future role as Monarch. I think he will try to find a way to remain active in his charities and probably pass somethings down to his children and daughter-in-law.
LOL. Please be realistic. Charles will be 65 this year (Edward VII was 60 when he ascended the throne and died before he was 70).
If Queen Elizabeth has inherited her mother's genes she might well live until she is 101. Charles would be 80 when and if he ascends the throne. Even if his mother dies earlier he will be an old and no longer very active man when he becomes king. He will bring no new flavor to the Monarch's role.

I am not a fan of the tradition of abdication per se but when I look at the BRF and the excess of age there for probably the next 20 years, I think: Well done, Queen Beatrix.
But of course Queen Elizabeth could not possibly have handed the throne over to her son in 1993, even if she wanted to.:D

Last edited:
For those interested in discussing politics, TRF is NOT the place to do so. I suggest to visit this forum The Politics Forum to continue this debate.

Post of a political nature have been deleted. Please report those posts that we overlooked.

Regards,

Marengo

I have such mixed emotions about this. I've really grown to like Queen Beatrix, if not for her quirky hats. Truly, she's been a wonderful leader for her people. I publicly thank her here, for her service and sacrifice to the Dutch people.

All the best to W-A and Maxima on this next chapter in their lives!

Sal

P.S. Male heirs are "heir apparent"...females are "heir presumptive" (at least in the UK!)

P.S. Male heirs are "heir apparent"...females are "heir presumptive" (at least in the UK!)

Yes but in The Netherlands the first born child is heir apparent regardless of gender and now also Prince/Princess of Orange. Under the proposed UK changes a first born female will also be Heiress Apparent even if she has a younger brother.

I wish HM a restful retirement with many happy years playing with her grandchildren and watching them grow! I enjoy her, she seems like a warm and lovely lady.

I think the Dutch have it right with throwing in the towel when one tires of things. So much better to have a coronation/investiture NOT followed by funerals and mourning, etc. That just gives it all such a maudlin air better reserved for less dignified countries.....

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.

I came late to this thread not even realizing that Beatrix abdicated today and missed her stunning announcement. Whatever personal or professional reasons she had at this time to abdicate, I wish her the best of luck in her golden years, enjoying her retirement and her grandchildren, and acting as advisor to the new king. At least Willem doesn't have the stress of losing his parent along with the burden of his new position as was already commented upon. I also extend my congratulations to Willem and Maxima and wish them luck as well as they take on the great task of following in Beatrix's footsteps. By all looks, they're up to the challenge. My felicitations as well to the Dutch people.

Last edited:
Will there be a coronation for Wilhelm-Alexander, or do they not have coronations in the Netherlands?

Will there be a coronation for Wilhelm-Alexander, or do they not have coronations in the Netherlands?

They don't have coronations. An inauguration will take place on the 30th April.

wow i was so shocked, well not that surprised because she was talking about abdication long before though it was not in her plans yet but i was not expecting it today!!!
it will be my second time to see a Prince turn King, the first i saw was the coronation of King Jigme Khesar of Bhutan throught his father abdication in 2008!!!
Amalia will be starting April 30th the second heiress aparent along with Crown Princess Victoria and she will take the second position from Crown Prince Moulay Hassan as the second youngest heir aparent in the world.
(though it will not take long, until Prince Albert&Princess Charlene and/or King Jigme Khesar&Queen Jetsun Pema produce an heir)

i expect King Albert to abdicate for his son Prince Phillippe in the near future, except him, i think all the other monarchs will reign until death...

Last edited:
How strange for Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria to now be expected to curtsey to maxima! Although I know Mette-Marit is terribly fond of a good curtsey!

PS that is a joke I am a real fan of Mette Marit!

If the curtsey is the part of the protocol, the aforementioned Crown Princesses and Duchess of Cornwall have to observe it.

I have such mixed emotions about this. I've really grown to like Queen Beatrix, if not for her quirky hats. Truly, she's been a wonderful leader for her people. I publicly thank her here, for her service and sacrifice to the Dutch people.

All the best to W-A and Maxima on this next chapter in their lives!

Sal

An "heir apparent" is next in line to the throne, "heir presumptive" can be bumped. When Prince of Wales becomes King Prince William will be heir apparent and if he does not have any children Prince Harry will be heir presumptive. Once William has a child Harry get bumped down a notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom