The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Major Royal Events

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here is a livestream that will show the announcement.
NOS Nieuws - Livestream - Journaal 24

Heir Apparent

Queen Beatrix of Netherlands is to make a special announcement // KP.RU

Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
It's got to be an abdication.

If it were Friso, they would be spotted by media flocking to his bedside. Nor would one expect his mother to have to face a TV camera and give the dreadful news.
I think if it was an announcement about Friso, it would be to announce his death. They very well possibly could have made a decision and kept it private with only family members there. We don't know. The more I do think about it, an abdication announcement makes more sense.
Serene Highness

She will turn 75 this week. Seems like a good age to abdicate. I can't remember who it was; the Queen or one of her sons, mentioned that she would really love to retire to Drakensteyn and spend her days with her grandchildren. And she earned it, for sure.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdngirl View Post

Really? How interesting. Is she ill?
Not as far as we know.

Either it's an announcement of Friso's death or Abdication.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow, this is interesting. I always find it odd that the Dutch Monarchs abdicate, as I always feel being a Monarch is for life. But if it's tradition then why break from it?

I do hope it's not about Frisco, as that will be awfully sad but we will find out soon. I hope to watch it, though I do not speak any Dutch.

We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RoyalReporter: Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte will address the nation after Queen Beatrix's speech tonight.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
We could soon be say King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima...that is quite something.
Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Nobility

I think it may well be her abdication. This will allow her to grieve without having to keep up appearances. I know I've worded this very badly. I hope my intent comes through. I know she is grieving already and continues to perform her duty admirably. I just think that with such an awful situation going on with her son, she may want to retreat a bit from public duties.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

I read it twitter that that the PM will follow with a statement.
https://twitter.com/Rick_Evers/statu...33706814758912
Where is lucien when you need him?

Edit: here's the official announcement of the PM's speech.
http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/nieuws/...-het-torentje/
Old 01-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Oh my… An abdication. This is too soon for me to hear but I respect how she would like to rest and spend time with her family.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A hour is way too long!
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
She will turn 75 this week. Seems like a good age to abdicate. I can't remember who it was; the Queen or one of her sons, mentioned that she would really love to retire to Drakensteyn and spend her days with her grandchildren. And she earned it, for sure.
It is quite an interesting tradition. Being King/Queen Regnant is a position to be held during one's lifetime. It is understandable that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix wishes to have a well-deserved retirement and spend more time with her grandchildren. She will still be available to advise King Willem-Alexander on tricky situations he may encounter.
Veering off the topic, I for one think that the Netherlands precedent might be considered by other European kingdoms.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Which will also mean a coronation. If so and its televised or streamed on the internet, it will be the first coronation I've ever seen.
Oh my, a coronation! I had not even thought of that. It would be the first I will have ever seen too.

An hour is a long time to wait. I am ever so impatient.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
HM Queen Beatrix will make an announcement at 19:00 in a special broadcast on television and radio. The RVD did not say anything about the content. The mesage has been recorded earlier today.

RVD: boodschap koningin om 19.00 - NOS Nieuws

----

The NOS claims that 'sources around the court' say that she will announce her abdication.

---

Live broadcast already started: NOS Nieuws - Livestream - Journaal 24
HM is to announce Her Abdication.

I am confident in Alexander and Máxima will do a great job,
but still,sad,HM did/does a wonderfull job.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Nobility

Rats - I have to teach a class during the time of the announcement and won't be able to see it live. I'll rush to the forums as soon as my class is over to read everyone's posts.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Wow, this is interesting. I always find it odd that the Dutch Monarchs abdicate, as I always feel being a Monarch is for life. But if it's tradition then why break from it?

I do hope it's not about Frisco, as that will be awfully sad but we will find out soon. I hope to watch it, though I do not speak any Dutch.

If that's so, that and Amalia will become an heir at 9!
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is quite an interesting tradition. Kings and Queens are considered to be a position for life. It is understandable that Her Majesty Queen Beatrix wishes to have a well-deserved retirement and spend more time with her grandchildren. She will still be available to advise King Willem-Alexander on tricky situations he may encounter. Veering off the topic, I for one think that the Netherlands precedent might be considered by other European kingdoms.
I think there is something very nice about this tradition. She's abdicating as a vital, wise woman whom paved the way for her children and grandchildren. Making way for the young, so to speak.

But perhaps it's also the Dutch mentality. Our work is our work, not our life.
Serene Highness

If it is an abdication, the Netherlands will have it's first king in 123 years.
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

HM is to announce Her Abdication.

I am confident in Alexander and Máxima will do a great job,
but still,sad,HM did/does a wonderfull job.
Whilst it is likely, you cannot say for certain.

Tags
abdication, queen beatrix