The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Abdication & Inauguration 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Majesty

I everyone (Princes, Princesses, Dukes & Duchesses) will acknowledge Willem & Maxima as King & Queen with a bow and curtsey.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Courtier

Wow I didn't see this coming. However, I am not surprised after the stressful year she has had with her son Prince Friso. As an observer from far away I know Her Majesty is well respected and much loved in the Netherlands. When I visited Amsterdam in 1986 she was much loved and I have always had a lot of respect for this lovely lady. I wish her well in her retirement and I am sure Willem Alexander and Maxima will make the transition to Regent couple very well. I am sure we will still see her out and about from time to time.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:48 AM
Royal Highness

I think it is a decision.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 AM
Heir Apparent

WA and maxima, front page of several argentinian and spanish speaking newspapers:

lanacion.com - Informacin confiable en internet*
Guillermo y Mxima de Holanda: de la polmica a la adoracin popular | elmundo.es
Clarn.com
Pgina/12
http://www.elmundo.es/america/2013/0...359405748.html
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 AM
Serene Highness

I've been trying to catch up on a week of little sleep due to following the Aussie Open, so when I woke up from a nap to my Mom asking if I'd heard the news from Holland?

Her telling me Queen Beatrix's plans woke me up faster than that cup of coffee I was planning on having just then.

It is rather bitter sweet, but I can understand why she's doing it now. It's been such a tough year for not just her, but the entire Family and now, she'll have the time needed to be w/Mabel and the girls to help on that front that wasn't there the last year. Also this way, she'll be there to help out W-A and Maxima during the early years of the new Reign.

I have great respect for HM and while this is a bitter sweet day, I don't doubt this decision came about after great thought and discussion w/all concerned.

It had to to be tough during the last week though for the three of them knowing it would be the last State Visit the three of them would make.

I now am getting excited for April 30th and my first Investiture/Enthronement of the Internet age. I followed along thanks to the Royal Magazines of the times when Japan had their Enthronement Ceremonies in the late 80's/early 90's, but that's not the same as actually watching things as they actually happen!!

Thank you Your Majesty for your caring, loving and dedication during your time of service to your People.

God Bless King William-Alexander and Queen Maxima!!

Long Live The Netherlands!!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow! Surprising but strangely not unexpectedly surprising. Queen Beatrix is a very hard working Queen and, as many have pointed out, it seems the present Dutch tradition is to abdicate in favour of the heir. Any discussion regarding her doing so when the grandchildren were older is and was just empty speculation. But as an aside, the children need to learn what it is like to be the children of the monarch just as W-A, Johan Friso and Constantijn did.

And to those non-Dutch posters who "don't approve" of this abdication. . . tough! Their country. Their rules.

I think she is and has been an incredibly hard working and popular Queen but she is coming up 75 and, to be honest, she does not have the good fortune to still have her beloved husband to walk beside her and help her carry the heavy personal load. It must be lonely to be alone in the palace without someone to mull over the current events in her life. But having said that, I would not presume to surmise that she should go into demi-retirement to look after the grandkids or spend most of her time with Mabel in the UK.

The speculation about who will and won't, should and shouldn't curtsy or bow to be quite weirdly entertaining:

Charles and Camilla will, of course, bow and curtsy to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. What on earth has age got to do with it?

Victoria will alway curtsy to a Royal King and his Consort and, she'll have her very best megawatt smile for W-A and Maxima the first time she does it.

Mary, Mette-Marit, Mathilde, Letizia will all follow protocol. They would never disgrace their royal houses and their countries by doing anything less.

As an aside, I think every heir that attends the inauguration will quietly envy W-A the fact his mother still lives which, in the normal course of events, is a privilege none of them will enjoy.

As to whether Maxima is a suitable Queen? That ship sailed right about the same time she married W-A! I am going to be watching her with great interest and the magpie in me will enjoy every single sparkly bauble she deigns to bless us with.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am deeply impressed by the information policy with the new FAQ of the abdication and inauguration! They are answered quick and very informative.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good for her! Nice tradition of the heir succeeding without a death being tied to it. This way WA can have the support of his mother while being King. How long has Maxima been married? Since 2004? I just assume Beatrix feels not only her son but her DiL as well are ready for this.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 AM
Courtier

Since 02.02.02 (2nd February 2002)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Royal Highness

Now the announcement has been made, it seems like there's so many plus points to the decision. I'm really looking forward to the preparations for the succession.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Do you really think they will be going to Lech??? I can't imagine they would go there ever again. So many sad memories of Friso's accident. I wondered if the timing of this announcement was such that it would give them the chance to say they were too busy to go this year.
it was announced that there will be a photo oportunity in Lech. Madel and the girls will go to Lech too but they will not take part in the photosession.

i dont see the big fuss around WA and Maxima upcoming title as young monarchs while some are heirs and older than them. eventually some heir would be Monarch and join the "monarch club", someone had to be the first, i always said WA and Maxima will be the first following by Prince Phillippe and Princess Mathilde, im glad i was right, WA is ready and its always positive to bring the new generation and start everything fresh again.

i wonder what Maxima will wear, shes the glittering princess and soon glittering Queen, so i have high hopes on her ceremony wardrobe and acessories, i hope for something grand and majestic
Old 01-29-2013, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

I thought about that too when I saw the pretty dress Beatrix wore. I hope Maxima goes for anything in a blue tone, no red, pink or beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
it was announced that there will be a photo oportunity in Lech. Madel and the girls will go to Lech too but they will not take part in the photosession.

i dont see the big fuss around WA and Maxima upcoming title as young monarchs while some are heirs and older than them. eventually some heir would be Monarch and join the "monarch club", someone had to be the first, i always said WA and Maxima will be the first following by Prince Phillippe and Princess Mathilde, im glad i was right, WA is ready and its always positive to bring the new generation and start everything fresh again.

Quote:
i wonder what Maxima will wear, shes the glittering princess and soon glittering Queen, so i have high hopes on her ceremony wardrobe and acessories, i hope for something grand and majestic
:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

From CNN News

Old 01-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

A beautiful photo gallery from Hola:
Beatriz de Holanda, historia de un reinado - Foto 1

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Charles and Camilla will, of course, bow and curtsy to King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima. What on earth has age got to do with it?
Not much.

It's just a peculiar situation.
Prince Charles was heir before Queen Beatrix became Queen. And now Willem-Alexander will be king, while Chales is still an heir.
Beforehand they were equals, with Prince Charles having seniority in the fact that he is older, which in my perhaps oldfashioned mind merits some respect and also senior in the sense that Charles has been heir for a longer time.
It just struck me as a bit weird to think of.

The other CP couples are at least of roughly similar age.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Princess View Post
So he will be king Willem-Alexander I or Willem IV after all?
Its officially announced it will be H.M. King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
I am deeply impressed by the information policy with the new FAQ of the abdication and inauguration! They are answered quick and very informative.
It would be pretty shocking if the royal house were not well prepared for this announcement. Unlike for us, it is not a surprise to them and has obviously been in the works for, I would think, several years at least. It's not like a death of a monarch that comes unexpectedly, all the major players will have known this was coming and would be seriously incompetent if they had not prepared appropriately.

When is the last time that Charles and Camilla spent any time with the Dutch royals? There was the sovereigns' dinner last year, but that's unlikely to happen again for a very long time. WA and Maxima attended William's wedding, but we didn't see any interaction between them and the British royals at all. I doubt we're going to see them all together very much at all so I don't think the curtseying will be an issue.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
It would be pretty shocking if the royal house were not well prepared for this announcement. Unlike for us, it is not a surprise to them and has obviously been in the works for, I would think, several years at least. It's not like a death of a monarch that comes unexpectedly, all the major players will have known this was coming and would be seriously incompetent if they had not prepared appropriately.

When is the last time that Charles and Camilla spent any time with the Dutch royals? There was the sovereigns' dinner last year, but that's unlikely to happen again for a very long time. WA and Maxima attended William's wedding, but we didn't see any interaction between them and the British royals at all. I doubt we're going to see them all together very much at all so I don't think the curtseying will be an issue.
The prince of Wales attended the funeral of prince Claus and the wedding of the prince of Orange. I believe the funerals of Juliana and Bernhard were attended by the duke of Edinburgh. Willem-Alexander and Mxima did attend a small part of the wedding of William, and they attended a birthday party of the prince of Wales. The prince of Wales also attended the 60th birthday party of the Queen. The wedding of Charles & Camilla was attended by Constantijn and Laurentien.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first state visit of the King will be to the UK. Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany were all visited by HM fairly recently & it is the custom to visit neighbouring countries first.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is possible that all the current major European CPs & CPss's will take their thrones before Charles & Camilla. Who knows what the future holds.

I say, if it's an undoubted king or queen, they should get a curtsey or bow from anyone who lives in a curtsey culture.

I'm proud of Beatrix for following her own desires and for giving W-A a chance to rule before he is elderly himself.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Queen Bea is just one class act. She seems to have a very close relationship to WA and Maxima so this will be wonderful for all!!!

Tags
abdication, queen beatrix