The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Abdication & Inauguration 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Does the Dutch protocol even require a curtsey?
Not from other Dutchmen, but visiting royals generally follow traditional protocol as do Dutch royals when abroad. It was Queen Juliana who let it be known that one did not need to curtsey to her. Juliana also preferred to be addressed as Madame and not Majesty. Beatrix restored the Majesty.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Does the Dutch protocol even require a curtsey?
no it doesn't...but royals still used bows and curtseys to the "highest members of the club"

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

This is such a bittersweet announcement.
Queen Beatrix has been a fantastic Monarch; it's sad to see her go. And I will never used to calling her "Princess Beatrix".
On the other hand, I have no doubts Willem-Alexander and Maxima will make a fine King and Queen of the Netherlands.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

On the train of thought about the bowing and curtseying I think this will be strange for the current crop of Crown Princely couples as well as for W-A and Maxima. They are so much younger than the other Monarchs and consorts.

From royal watching over the past few years (and I could be wrong) I have noticed that Mette Marit will curtsey to the Crown Princes and to Crown Princess Victoria whereas Maxima and Mary wouldn't. They are all of similar titles but I always assumed she saw them as blood royals and as a result slightly higher than herself. As a result of this thinking does this now mean she will curtsey to Catharina-Amalia as she will be a heir apparent of royal birth?

I hope I make myself clear here!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Very dignified:

Princess Máxima called prime minister Rutte to inform him that her parents decided not to attend the inauguration ceremony.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Serene Highness

I am actually very sad to see Queen Beatrix go and I am not even dutch. She seems like such a warming loving monarch plus I would of liked to see the 3-A be a little older before their parents have to put duty first. W-A and Maxima seem like such involved loving parents, I wish they had more time to just be in the wings waiting, so their girls could enjoy more of their childhood. Amalia will now become the crown Princess and all the things that go along with it at 9, I just wanted her to have more time, it seems like yesterday we were commenting and laughing at the gorgeous little toddler in the little blue dress. I hope the same thing for Prince Christian, Princess Ingrid-Alexandra, Princess Elisabeth and Infanta Leonor. Their lives are already mapped out for them, so any time left to be a child, I think, would be wonderful! Maybe as an American I don't clearly understand the situation but anytime a child can remain a child, I love it. I know that there are going to be posters who say "nobody took her childhood, she will still have it" but to me it just wont be as relaxed and normal because she is now the Crowned Princess. This is just my opinion
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

Prinsjesdag will now be opened by WA in the company of his wife Maxima!!!
and Amalia's 10th birthday photoshoot will be with her parents as King&Queen and her as an heir aparent.

cant wait to see this year's photosession at Lech!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Royal Highness

While I'm excited for the splendor of a coronation (dare I hope?), I can't help feeling like she's taking the coward's way out. If her health is still good, and her mind is intact, there is no reason she shouldn't continue with her duties. But I also realize there is precedence here. Both her mother and grandmother abdicated. I assume she'll be spending more time in London helping Mabel with the kids, caring for Friso, etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
Very dignified:

Princess Máxima called prime minister Rutte to inform him that her parents decided not to attend the inauguration ceremony.
Dignified, and quite a relief TBH. I am pleasantly surprised how the palae atually takes charge & immidiately announced a date, titles, names, future palaces, the absence of Máxima's parents, provincial visits, IOC membership etc. Insecurities about these things can quickly be hyped in the press otherwise. The only negative points in the near future that we can expect now will be the costs of the ceremony and esp. the costs of the renovation of Huis ten Bosch palace (which undoubtably will be needed after 33 years).

I wonder if and when Constantijn and Laurentien will move back to The Netherlands and where they will live. Probably they will build a villa on the estate of Queen Beatrix/ Soestdijk palace or at the Horsten estate.

--------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168
While I'm excited for the splendor of a coronation (dare I hope?), I can't help feeling like she's taking the coward's way out. If her health is still good, and her mind is intact, there is no reason she shouldn't continue with her duties. But I also realize there is precedence here. Both her mother and grandmother abdicated. I assume she'll be spending more time in London helping Mabel with the kids, caring for Friso, etc.
According to the NOS she already visits her son in London nearly every weekend. I can't see what is so cowardly about abdicating, I think it is quite healthy & sensible actually.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Majesty

Why Princess Maxima's parents won't be attending the inauguration ceremony?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
This is such a bitter-sweet announcement.
Queen Beatrix has been a fantastic Monarch; it's sad to see her go. And I will never used to calling her "Princess Beatrix".
On the other hand, I have no doubts Willem-Alexander and Maxima will make a fine King and Queen of the Netherlands.
I concur with you there Artemisia,Queen Beatrix has been one of my favourite royals.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I assume it's not to overshadow the ceremony with rehearsing the old controversy surrounding Jorge Zorreguieta's (his service as a Minister during Videla's regime).
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
For the same reason they did not attend Maxima's wedding. Her father was a minister in the Argentinian junta and this remains controversial in The Netherlands.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I assume it's not to overshadow the ceremony with rehearsing the old controversy surrounded Jorge Zorreguiet's (his service as a Minister during Videla's regime).
Oh, well that's sad her parent weren't at the wedding and now they won't be there to see their daughter become Queen. I guess they will watch the ceremony on Tv or internet.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I concur with you there Artemisia,Queen Beatrix has been one of my favourite royals.
Well, we will see a bit less of her indeed, but in her announcement she said that she does not intend to retreat from public life. So I expect her to show up in public quite often, esp. the next few years.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Nobility

I'm very sorry to see her go. She is a very wonderful, caring and loving person. The greatest monarch in Europe bar none.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Nobility

So can I get this right, W-A and Maxima from this day on are now known as King and Queen. I've met Crown princess Maxima and I think she will do a great job as Queen
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Felicity M View Post
So can I get this right, W-A and Maxima from this day on are now known as King and Queen. I've met Crown princess Maxima and I think she will do a great job as Queen
No, they'll be known that way from April 30 on :)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I guess it won't be a big problem for the other Crown Princesses to curtsey to Maxima, that's part of the show and they are already used to such things.

However, Maxima & Willem-Alexander will be the first among the current generation of CP couple's who will become majesties. Mary & Frederik, Mette-Marit & Haakon, Victoria & Daniel and to some extent perhaps Mathilde & Phillipe are good friends and of M&W and they will benefit from their experiences I believe.

Interesting is that Duchess Camilla and Prince Charles will, if we are to stick to the protocol, have to curtsey or at least show proper respect to M&W, even though they are considerably older.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, we will see a bit less of her indeed, but in her announcement she said that she does not intend to retreat from public life. So I expect her to show up in public quite often, esp. the next few years.
That is indeed something after the initial shock of the news,I couldn't have envisaged Her Majesty going into seclusion like Queen Wilhelmina.

Tags
abdication, queen beatrix