The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > Abdication & Inauguration 2013

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I wish HM a restful retirement with many happy years playing with her grandchildren and watching them grow! I enjoy her, she seems like a warm and lovely lady.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

I think the Dutch have it right with throwing in the towel when one tires of things. So much better to have a coronation/investiture NOT followed by funerals and mourning, etc. That just gives it all such a maudlin air better reserved for less dignified countries.....

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I came late to this thread not even realizing that Beatrix abdicated today and missed her stunning announcement. Whatever personal or professional reasons she had at this time to abdicate, I wish her the best of luck in her golden years, enjoying her retirement and her grandchildren, and acting as advisor to the new king. At least Willem doesn't have the stress of losing his parent along with the burden of his new position as was already commented upon. I also extend my congratulations to Willem and Maxima and wish them luck as well as they take on the great task of following in Beatrix's footsteps. By all looks, they're up to the challenge. My felicitations as well to the Dutch people.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Nobility

Will there be a coronation for Wilhelm-Alexander, or do they not have coronations in the Netherlands?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Commoner

video here:
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Will there be a coronation for Wilhelm-Alexander, or do they not have coronations in the Netherlands?
They don't have coronations. An inauguration will take place on the 30th April.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Royal Highness

wow i was so shocked, well not that surprised because she was talking about abdication long before though it was not in her plans yet but i was not expecting it today!!!
it will be my second time to see a Prince turn King, the first i saw was the coronation of King Jigme Khesar of Bhutan throught his father abdication in 2008!!!
Amalia will be starting April 30th the second heiress aparent along with Crown Princess Victoria and she will take the second position from Crown Prince Moulay Hassan as the second youngest heir aparent in the world.
(though it will not take long, until Prince Albert&Princess Charlene and/or King Jigme Khesar&Queen Jetsun Pema produce an heir)

i expect King Albert to abdicate for his son Prince Phillippe in the near future, except him, i think all the other monarchs will reign until death...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

How strange for Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria to now be expected to curtsey to maxima! Although I know Mette-Marit is terribly fond of a good curtsey!

PS that is a joke I am a real fan of Mette Marit!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

If the curtsey is the part of the protocol, the aforementioned Crown Princesses and Duchess of Cornwall have to observe it.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalannB View Post
I have such mixed emotions about this. I've really grown to like Queen Beatrix, if not for her quirky hats. Truly, she's been a wonderful leader for her people. I publicly thank her here, for her service and sacrifice to the Dutch people.

All the best to W-A and Maxima on this next chapter in their lives!

Sal

P.S. Male heirs are "heir apparent"...females are "heir presumptive" (at least in the UK!)
An "heir apparent" is next in line to the throne, "heir presumptive" can be bumped. When Prince of Wales becomes King Prince William will be heir apparent and if he does not have any children Prince Harry will be heir presumptive. Once William has a child Harry get bumped down a notch.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
How strange for Mary, Mette-Marit and Victoria to now be expected to curtsey to maxima! Although I know Mette-Marit is terribly fond of a good curtsey!

That was my same thought. I hope P.Madeleine and P.Felix will have proper royal weddings (not a low-profile wedding) so they can attend as King and Queen *can't wait*
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
That was my same thought. I hope P.Madeleine and P.Felix will have proper royal weddings (not a low-profile wedding) so they can attend as King and Queen *can't wait*
You forget that Kings and Queens usually only attend weddings of monarchs and heirs, not weddings of "less important" royals, unless they are family or god-children.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder how strange it may be for W-A and M to attend events as King and Queen now, particularly at events where there is large representation from the other houses in Europe. W-A and M are probably used to sitting in the "second row" (lol) with Frederick/Mary, Philippe/Mathilde, Victoria/Daniel, Haakon and MM, and now they will be in the "front row" with their parents!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post

We'll just have to wait and see. CP Victoria is royal by birth and heir apparent. The situation is different for Mary and Mette-Marit. We should not lump CP Victoria in with other crownprincesses. She is in a group by herself.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
We'll just have to wait and see. CP Victoria is royal by birth and heir apparent. The situation is different for Mary and Mette-Marit. We should not lump CP Victoria in with other crownprincesses. She is in a group by herself.
Why would Victoria not curtsey to Queen Maxima? She curtsies to the Queen of Norway so why not the Queen of The Netherlands? Victoria's own mother was born a commoner and other "born" princesses curtsey to her. You curtsey to the rank/position not the person.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well the fact remains that while both Willem Alexander and Victoria are royals by blood and were born heir apparants Willem Alexander will now be a King and as such above Victoria.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Well she's not alone anymore. Little Amalia joined her (even if not officially till she'll be 18...if I got it correctly)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I think the Dutch have it right with throwing in the towel when one tires of things. So much better to have a coronation/investiture NOT followed by funerals and mourning, etc. That just gives it all such a maudlin air better reserved for less dignified countries.....

P.S. That's a joke. Don't flip out.
I love how you have stated it.
As we say in french "je suis d'accord sur le fond mais pas sur la forme"
I too love the way the dutch are doing it.Not only the queen needs to rest and spend some time with her family but I hate the idea of a coronation followed by a funeral.
I am sure Willem Alexander and Maxima will do an exellent work.Good luck to them and nice retirement for Queen Beatrix.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Serene Highness

Does the Dutch protocol even require a curtsey?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Does the Dutch protocol even require a curtsey?
No, it doesn't.
Queen Juliana abbolished that.

Tags
abdication, queen beatrix