Máxima's Inauguration Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What tiara do you think that Princess Máxima will wear at the inauguration ceremony?

• Stuart tiara

Votes: 46 41.4%
  • Württemberg pearl tiara

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Mellerio Sapphire tiara

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Mellerio Ruby tiara

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Peacock Ruby tiara

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Pearl Button tiara

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Diamond bandeau

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Queen Emma's floral tiara

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Antique Pearl tiara

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • No tiara

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is it possible she wore a headpiece (hat) for the actual Inauguration and a tiara-like piece for the official portrait? The headpiece in the portrait looks nothing like the one in the video.

:previous:
It's hard to tell with Queen Juliana but in this picture, it almost looks like she's wearing Queen Wilhelmina's Diamond Haircomb. Then again, I believe there are other diamond haircombs and small tiaras in the Dutch collection (mostly, coming from Wilhelmina as well), so it's hard to tell. She's wearing the devant de corsage from the Melleiro Ruby Parure and her necklace appears to be a combination of rubies and diamonds, so it's a safe bet to say that the hairpiece is either all-diamond, or ruby and diamond as well.

Juliana and Beatrix were Queens Regnant and focal point of the ceremony anyway. Maxima is the first Queen Consort in nearly 123 years so there is no fixed tradition what she can or cannot wear. The Dutch Inauguration ceremony is probably closest to a coronation among the continental ceremonies so I'm hoping for something that will scream "Queen". Or, in other words, I'm hoping for the Stuart.

Juliana wore a cap on which several small diamond pieces where placed for her Inauguration. It was made extra for the Inaguaration and taken apart later again. I believe the cap was blue. I have seen it at the Juliana exhibition at Paleis het Loo 4 years ago where they had a copy on display. The necklace she wore was the necklace from the peacock ruby Parure
Of course i hope Máxima will once wear the Stuart Paure i think for the Inaguration it is to big and too much. if she would wear this she be complett in the Center and i think on this days WA as new King should be in the center and not oveshadowed by his wife.

Last edited:
I voted for the stuart, someone mentioned the economic crises, they allready own the thing so it might as well be used. It is fitting for the day and she has never worn it I think.

WA will always be overshadowed in beauty and sparkle by his wife in most couples that is the case:flowers:

Juliana wore a cap on which several small diamond pieces where placed for her Inauguration. It was made extra for the Inaguaration and taken apart later again. I believe the cap was blue. I have seen it at the Juliana exhibition at Paleis het Loo 4 years ago where they had a copy on display. The necklace she wore was the necklace from the peacock ruby Parure
Of course i hope Máxima will once wear the Stuart Paure i think for the Inaguration it is to big and too much. if she would wear this she be complett in the Center and i think on this days WA as new King should be in the center and not oveshadowed by his wife

Of course i hope Máxima will once wear the Stuart Paure i think for the Inaguration it is to big and too much. if she would wear this she be complett in the Center and i think on this days WA as new King should be in the center and not oveshadowed by his wife.

Thanks for the information, Stefan. :flowers:
I would have loved to see the diamond piece made for Queen Juliana!

In regards to Maxima overshadowing Willem-Alexander, I'm afraid it's more or less inevitable whatever she wears.
That's the fate of all male royals, not just the future King - always being overshadowed by their better halves. :)

Last edited:
The website of Els Smit says that the hairnet (a 'Juliette') was made of violin strings, that were painted blue. Added were the diamond stars (white) and rubies (red). So the hairnet had the red-white-blue of the flag.

Koninklijke hoeden

:previous:
How interesting! Given the presence of the devant de corsage from the Melleiro Ruby Parure and the necklace from the Peacock Ruby Parure, I thought rubies might have been somewhere in the headpiece. Opting for colours of the national flag was a thoughtful touch. I wish there were proper colour photographs of the "Juliette".

I always thought a "Juliette" is basically an ornate hairnet, and not an elaborate headpiece. You always learn something new every day. :)

I'm hoping for the Stuart tiara or the Mellerio Sapphire tiara .

not sure about the stuart anymore, it is gigantic when you see it in the video above, although maxima deserves to wear any of the tiara's it might be too much.

Although I think she'll wear a smaller tiara, since Willem-Alexander is the centre of attention, I voted for the Württemberg pearl tiara in a case of wishful thinking. It's just such a beautiful tiara and I think it would look wonderful on Queen Máxima.
I hope her inner magpie comes through and she chooses one of the tiaras that truly say "Queen".

Maxima, as I have said, is a class act. Whatever sher wears will be inconsequential to her husbands importance.

Whilst I was initially in the Stuart camp, increasingly I think she may wear a lighter tiara. Let us not forget this is a day event, and she will be the only one in jewels. She may, uncharacteristically, decide to go discrete.

Whilst I was initially in the Stuart camp, increasingly I think she may wear a lighter tiara. Let us not forget this is a day event, and she will be the only one in jewels. She may, uncharacteristically, decide to go discrete.

No,she will not be the only one in jewels,all other Royals will wear some of theirs too,except only Queen Máxima is to wear a tiara,so,it might as well make a statement as she is the Queen Consort and you don't attend the Inthronisation of your hubby every day...:)

i really like the ears of wheat tiara but i can why almost everyone likes the struat tiara

I think it because if not now, when? The Stuart seems to be the most ornate, and this is viewed as one of the most important events in the like of the new King & Queen.

^i agree with you on that.
the Stuart tiara is to majestic and huge to be worn in "regular" state visits and weddings, Maxima will not find a better time and place to use it if not on the inauguration day.

perhaps not a better time and place but does it look good for the day or on her that is what will probably be considered as most important.

^i agree with you on that.
the Stuart tiara is to majestic and huge to be worn in "regular" state visits and weddings, Maxima will not find a better time and place to use it if not on the inauguration day.

Maybe she opts for a "cap" studded with the most precious stones of the House of Orange,just like Queen Juliana did in 1948..

Maybe she opts for a "cap" studded with the most precious stones of the House of Orange,just like Queen Juliana did in 1948..

Perhaps, but I think Maxima has more flare for the dramatic than either Juliana or Beatrix. She also seems to enjoy showing off the Dutch royal jewels to their best advantage.

I just hope she does wear a tiara and not just a hat like at the opening of Parliament.

Last edited:
Given what has been announced so far in terms of the official celebrations of this event I am beginning to think that whatever jewellery Maxima might wear will be quite muted and that she might not wear a tiara at all but maybe a hat like at the opening of parliament. Perhaps Queen Maxima will only get to wear her best jewellry at royal events in other countries.

hope that will not happen, a hat will look really silly

Given what has been announced so far in terms of the official celebrations of this event
I am beginning to think that whatever jewellery Maxima might wear will be quite muted and that she might not wear a tiara at all but maybe a hat like at the opening of parliament.
Perhaps Queen Maxima will only get to wear her best jewellry at royal events in other countries.

I have a photo of Queen Juliana wearing that jeweled hat,I bought it it the Nieuwe Kerk some years ago,not sure if it would suit Maxima.

I have a photo of Queen Juliana wearing that jeweled hat,I bought it it the Nieuwe Kerk some years ago,not sure if it would suit Maxima.

No,don't think so either,just joking..Queen Máxima will shine very differently no doubt!:)

:previous: I know this is and incredibly important day for The Netherlands, a King will be enthroned. It is an occasion where not only the country but the world will be watching. A low rent, scaled down, economic austerity version is definitely not what I should imagine the country is waiting for.

If I were a citizen I would love for my King to stand proud and strong and he has the personal gravitas to shine with his Queen standing beside him wearing appropriate jewellery.

My preference is for the Stuart. The King standing with Maxima at his side, proudly wearing the depth, continuity and history of their country. Not standing awkwardly in day dress with hat looking depressingly apologetic.

If Luxembourg can carry out a deeply religious and yet bejewelled royal wedding in 2012 I really don't see why The Netherlands cannot produce a similarly reverent, historic and outstandingly elegant and joyous Enthronement in 2013.

I agree MARG. And for goodness sake, if she cant wear the big bling on this occasion, what are they saving it for???

Hola has an article and a gallery about Maxima's inaugurational tiara.

I must say I really like her hairstyle in the first pic with the diamond and saphire tiara.
That hairstyle with her star tiara would be great.
Or even more perfect would be if she came up with a brand new tiara, a present from her King to add to the wonderful Dutch colletion.

I like the last tiara!

Back
Top Bottom