Interview with Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Máxima: April 17, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was great! What a couple! It's almost impossible for me to resume the interview.

He made such a coinfidenced impression to me,he's ready for the job!

It was great! What a couple! It's almost impossible for me to resume the interview.

He made such a coinfidenced impression to me,he's ready for the job!

He certainly is!Good couple,good answers.They will no doubt do a great job but Alexander made it very clear this is not a duo job,there is only ONE King,and Máxima as his consort,will support him.

Alexander and Máxima knew more then a year that this was going to happen,no-one else but the three of them knew,Queen Beatrix and Alexander & Máxima,no-one else,untill shortly before the speech aired by HM on january 28th.

First thing Amalia asked when told her dad would be king was;"Oh,and till when will you do that,how amny years?' ....Iow,when will it be my turn..grin

All three girls will be at all ceremonies and events the whole day on april 30th.
In the morning they will be present when their grandmother will Abdicate.
They will attend the Inauguration in church and they will attend the evening gala and events
and look forward to that!

Other then that W-A and Máxima hope their girls all get the privacy a child needs and meanwhile they are all equal to them,we love each just as much,nothing will change for any of them in terms of love or equality.

On Celebrating Kingsday,the whole family will be out and about as always has been the case if its up to Alexander and Máxima,maybe a few changes in detail but in general it will remain the celebration we all love.

On why Willem-Alexander instead of Willem IV..Willem IV is in the meadow with Bertha 38..iow...I'm not a number,not a cow...

I can't give resumé of 53 minutes in 5,but I'm sure one of us here,Marengo...your turn...grin...will translate as much as possible yes sure!:flowers:

And btw,on tuesday the 23rd the Prince will plant the first Koningslinde tree!At the Transvaal neighbourhood park,The Hague...:)...

Last edited:
I don't speak Dutch, but with the help of Google Translation, it translated the interview in English. Forgive me for some errors in the text.

Interviewer:
Royal Highnesses, we are here in your future work palace. In two weeks, you are King and Queen of the Netherlands. On January 28, your mother announced that she's delivering the Kingdom to you. We now know it is a 2.5 month. How long have you known?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Fortunately, we know about it a little longer. And we are particularly "happy", because it means that my mother and the two of us have a very good communication among ourselves and that we can therefore allow a very good transfer, I think, at least as much as possible when it comes. If you successfully communicate between generations and dare to discuss and identify problems, then you work towards such a moment. In our case it was already a little over a year before you knew it ...

Interviewer: A year?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
One year, yes. The Queen has also said in her speech on January 28, that she was doing for a long time. We have discussed at some point, such as: if the situation is calm in the Netherlands, we can announce on January 28, 2013 that it will happen on April 30, 2013.

Interviewer:
That's a long time. How was it to keep the secret for so long.

Princess Maxima:
We were a team, both the three of us and didn't go out. We were just passing our lives.

Interviewer: Never a accidental slip of the tongue?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Yeah, haha ...

Princess Maxima: Gotta admit. All three actually ...

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
All three of us have ever made ​​mistakes accidentally. But only if you know it, you will recognize the tongue. I can give a very crazy example. Of course you speak through scenarios, even if such a plan around those days of the abdication and inauguration. And then the evening is also discussed but of course it depends very much on what day it is in the year, what time the light is, what time it gets dark, etc. So I immediately went looking with my ipad, well, April 30, 2013, the sun and so so late. Then I got a kick under the table from Máxima: don't say it, well, we do not know what day it is.
So that kind of trifles. But, if you don't know, then other people also don't know as well.

Interviewer:
Have you spoken on previous occasions about a possible change of rule?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
No. This was the first time. This was the first time that there is a concrete date etc. talked about.

Interviewer:
If we go back to that moment, that moment when you mother decided, was it actually a notice of her or it happened by mutual agreement?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
She has said: Right now I want to talk about a period in which I'm going to transfer you. And when we looked at two or three dates together, the three of us, decided a date.

Interviewer:
Maxima you were there in that conversation. In that final conversation when it was decided the date, it was: we're going to do on April 30, 2013?

Princess Maxima:
Yes. I was always there. So yes, the three of us ... Of course, the Queen and my husband were leading it, but you know that the Queen has all the generosity with time given to us so that we can give a little more rest to our three children and take time to our family and I think it is fantastic from the Queen.

Interviewer:
When you had that conversation, at one point when you were back with a friend and then you drove home together, for example - what did you say to each other?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
You realize that now it is practical with a date. Of course you know that the easiest answer you can always give to people is "every day comes closer". But now you know how many days are left. Both the announcement and the abdication and the inauguration itself, have a target date to the time that it really was announced on 28 January. That was a very strange moment for me, because yes, you know it for over a year, and yet, on those few minutes, or say that half an hour before the announcement came out in television, it would be broadcasted at 19:00, and you can't go back. At that time, it is definitively. That would mean there was no longer only the three of us of course, but, until then, the outside world still didn't know, so you can still turn back. From that moment it is out there, it's there. And yes, that's a different feeling.

Interviewer:
And what kind of feeling is that? Did you thought: "Yes finally, I'm going to do it now, I'm ready?" Or whether you secretly thought: "pfft, could not it take longer for me?"

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
No, because you note to yourself that you are still reluctant to adopt certain calls that you don't always engage new challenges, even in the field of water or other things you are invited. You just know it: I can't finish it, I can not live up to those people. Although I can not say why. That is very ambiguous. So at some point it is really time to continue.

Interviewer:
The evening of January 28, 19.00pm to be exact, Queen Beatrix makes it known to the Dutch people, how was that night? What did you do?

Princess Maxima:
We went to Huis ten Bosch with the three girls and we ate together and watched the broadcast together. That was very special, no matter how much and how prepared we were all at that time, of course we have talked with the children before it, yet at that time, I think, like all the Dutch people, we got a very emotional moment, right?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Yes, really emotional. You have so often read the text and then you see it for the first time on television. And yet we all got very emotional reactions, how people were affected, and yet on the other hand say: what a pity that the Queen stops after 33 years. But also on the other hand they now give her some more free time and say, okay, we just go by, she has done a fantastic job for the Netherlands, we are grateful to her. And the responses to that first night were fantastic.

Interviewer:
April 30. I suppose that day is very much fixed according to protocol. But when can we start to notice that you are King on that day?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
April 30 is fixed and time is actually so short, where it all happens. The abdication of course, is an activity of the Queen with her signature, then the balcony scene with our children and then the inauguration of the New Church as a guest of the United Meeting. The evening party and the activities of the National Committee, as we have, in consultation with the National Committee, had some influence on. At least, they have presented to us what their ideas were and we have agreed, because it was very nice to find what they are planning. They try really hard for the young and old throughout the country, throughout the kingdom, including the Caribbean parts of the Netherlands, to involve. Through the King song, through the King Games, through the dreams, the wishes that are returned. In many ways it is still my inauguration.

Interviewer:
You can print your stamp collection or give it your own color by the speeches that you are going to have. Do you have them already?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: (Laughs) ... At the time of this broadcast, they are definitely ready.

Interviewer: And this is really a very personal process?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
This is a personal process, but of course you have people who support you with that. But the beginning of the speech is really just a repository of all ideas that I want to have in there. And then you go and translate them tidy and you put it together and trim, trim, trim the end, because ...

Interviewer: Are there a lot of clots passed through the room?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
There go a lot clots around the room. And going or the chipper, otherwise they remain even somewhere. And finally I think it has become a very nice speech, where I've worked hard, with a few people and yet with a starting point of the new kingdom.

more coming...

Last edited:
PART 2

Interviewer: On April 30, your brother Friso cannot go, of course. What does his absence means for you?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
We are a very close family and we are three brothers who grew up within 2.5 years apart. We have been through a lot together. And then of course you want everyone there. And such an accident in a family, in which family whatsoever, is just awful. Yes, so I find it tragic ...
From a constitutional perspective, it is just an inauguration, which is not a family event, but from the family is of course a very difficult time. I must say that we are already living more than a year with this terrible situation where Friso's wife Mabel and my mother incredibly do their best for my brother. So yes, I can not support more than for them and then, on April 30, allowing a better facilitate, despite his absence.

Interviewer: Are you still in any way dwell on April 30, in his absence?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
No, because the inauguration is really a constitutional event. It is a state matter. Of course, as a family we will be sure to stand still, but not in public.

Interviewer:
Difficult question to ask, perhaps even more difficult to answer, but I want to do it anywaya, because many people will ask to you. How is it going with your brother right now?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Unfortunately we have no new messages and they would inform us when there are substantial changes. So it is still the same, same situation. But he is in the best hands and Mabel and my mother really do anything for him to make it as good as possible ...

Princess Maxima: To give him a chance.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: To give him a chance. So yes, I can only have deep respect for Mabel and my mother for what they do for my brother.

Interviewer: Then we go back to April 30th. A historic day in which the world is watching. Are you nervous?

Princess Maxima: Not yet.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
The tension rises naturally as the date of April 30th is approaching, the healthy tension, but ...

Princess Maxima: The details and implementation ...

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
The details and implementation are of course extremely important. But the atmosphere in which the preparation is done, the approach of the National Committee, the approach to the city of Amsterdam, the Government of the United Assembly, everything is so positive that almost cannot go wrong.

Interviewer: Are you rehearsing?

Princess Maxima:
Absolutely. And also with the three girls, they know where they are going, and that everyone knows where they are standing. Because it is ... Not complicated, but we must do the right thing.

Interviewer: Are you going to rehearse or do you have already rehearsed?

Princess Maxima: We're going to rehearse.

Interviewer: In the New Church?

Princess Maxima: In the New Church.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Yes, the day before ...

Princess Maxima: The day before.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
The day before, when everything is ready, then the rehearsal takes place. You shouldn't want to do it too much in advance. Of course we have to look at the different locations, see what still must or may be changed, but it will be the real dress rehearsal.

Princess Maxima: From there you are preparing.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: You learn and then from there you can do it exactly for the 30th itself.

Interviewer:
Since you are a Princess, you have already experienced some major events, but also experienced unpleasant moments, such as the attack in Apeldoorn, but also 'the Damschreeuwer. Are you therefore more wary of these big events?

Princess Maxima:
Yes, it's a good question. I think after the loudmouth and especially after the Queen's day, I had a month where every car braked too much, I ... I had a kind of natural or instinctive reaction. But not only for yourself but for the people. If you are going to spend somewhere in a town, a visit is the first thing that goes through my head: I hope no one dares to do anything with all those people who have something here. That was really huge in my mind in the beginning. But, at some point, the time goes by and you recover from them.
And I really hope that the security will done really well its job. And I have confidence in them. And so I am in life.

Interviewer: How is that for you?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Well, after Apeldoorn, I must say, I walked with my Secretary of the United Nations advisory by New York and he asked me: how are you doing? That was a month later. I say, well, I'm over it. Until a New York taxi on a manhole cover sat next to me and I jumped around in his arms. It takes a while before you get over it. But now I am convinced that we have a wonderful inauguration to look forward to.

Interviewer: So such a banner as we most saw recently, there's no problem?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I think that's absolutely no problem. And I want to say this, that poor policeman who thought he was the best, who has made ​​a mistake, I think. But we can all make mistakes and we learn from them.

Interviewer: So protesting allowed.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Protesting always allowed.

Interviewer: A very important question on April 30th, what do you recommend?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Well, by this time I'm not a military - I have since served until August 1985, as it stands now, April 29, 2013 - an active duty military may be no member of the government. So citizen.

Interviewer: No uniform?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: No uniform.

Interviewer: So can you describe what you will wear?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Suit.

Interviewer: And?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: And the mantle, of course.

Last edited:
PART 3

Interviewer:
About the ermine coat. Is that done? It had to be restored, there was still something anything left?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Something had to be done, there are lions of silver wire, which had become quite dark, which had to be a bit polished, but it's just the old cloak again removed from the box and is totally ready.

Interviewer:
Of course there's fur. There are people in the Dutch society who object against wearing fur. Is that even been a consideration for you to not want to wear it?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
It's such a tradition to attract that cloak and of course it is about 200 years old, it is now used, modified, other forms, updated, etc. That's what I understand. But I take into account people's feelings, definitely, but part of the tradition is to still wear that jacket. And you're simply going for a system of 200 years.

Interviewer: Are you going to tell us what are you going to wear?

Princess Maxima: No. (Laughs)

Interviewer: No. That's what I was afraid of. Will you tell us whether for example a Dutch designer who made ​​it?

Princess Maxima: Also not.

Interviewer: Nothing at all?

Princess Maxima: (Laughing) I'm not going to tell anything.

Interviewer: A very small corner of the veil?

Princess Maxima: Well, we have to keep something for April 30th ...

PRINCE OF ORANGE: No veil ...

Interviewer: No glimpse ...

Princess Maxima: No veil.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Even so, no tip.

Interviewer: At least long.

Princess Maxima: Yes.

Interviewer:That's for sure.

Princess Maxima: Yes, that's for sure. Absolutely.

Interviewer: Are the children there the whole day?

Princess Maxima:
Yes, all day. For the abdication of my mother-in-law, for the inauguration and for the party in the evening. So it is also special for them.

Interviewer:They realize what is happening that day?

Princess Maxima: Very much.

Interviewer: Yes?

Princess Maxima: Yes, very much. Amalia realizes very well that what turn it is.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Her first question to me was: how many years will you do it?

Interviewer: She knows exactly.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: They know exactly.

Princess Maxima: She knows it very well.

Interviewer: What was your response?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: I said: that you will like to know.

Interviewer: You said that to her?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Yes.

Interviewer: Painful for April 30th is that your father will not be present. Who decided that?

Princess Maxima:
We have jointly decided. It was evident, as my father could not come for the wedding, it was quite obvious: this is a constitutional celebration.

Interviewer: You say together. Should I suggest that you say to your father: Dad, you know, stay away.

Princess Maxima:
We have decided it with my family: so nobody comes. Well, we had more or less the agreement made ​​in 2002. This is a constitutional moment where my husband is King and yes, that includes my father, especially if there are issues with, or not. And I think that's good to leave. He is my father, we continue to celebrate our private moments, but state law does not matter and it must be so.

Interviewer:
You say state law. But I suppose, as a child of your father, that there are also emotions are involved. I understand the difference between a wedding, but this again is of course a very big moment.

Princess Maxima:
Let me put it this way, the difference between a marriage and that my husband is King, is a totally different emotional occasion. I would say at a wedding, that's painful. This time it would of course be very nice if they would be all there but it is otherwise emotionally.

Interviewer:
Another topic. You announced that you will be King Willem-Alexander. King Willem IV could be your title, have you ever speculated about the past itself. Why did you choose Willem-Alexander and not Willem IV?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I have said in the past that Willem IV would be obvious but I never said it would be applied to me. And I've actually only recently decided for myself. First of all, my name is Willem-Alexander. It's just a name. I spent my whole life, 46 years, as Willem-Alexander and especially under the callsign Alexander. On the other hand, you are not just a number. Willem IV stands next Berta 38 in the meadow.

Interviewer: You say it. I would not dare say.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
But I'm still Willem. For you historians is Willem IV. But you address in the street as: hello, Willem IV. You say Willem. So I say, simply Willem-Alexander.

Interviewer:
Your grandmother was approached, asked for it to be as 'Mrs.'. Addressed to Your mother talking to as "Majesty" when we meet her. Have you already thought about how you would like to be soon adressed when you are King?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I know that my mother said whatt she should be addressed as Majesty... At the very beginning of her reign, once someone asked an aide: how to appeal to the Queen? And who has the correct answer: with "Majesty". And when that idea that the Queen should always be addressed as "Your Majesty" in contrast to her mother. I'm not there ... I'm not a protocol-fetishist. People may address me as they want to. With ease. And of course there are circumstances in formal protocols, but generally when you are busy with work visits, people speak to me in many ways. It is more comfortable to me that people are at ease with me when I'm with them.

Interviewer: You are officially a Princess of the Netherlands. But you will be Queen soon. So when we address you soon, what will we call you?

Princess Maxima:
Yes. It belongs to the tradition that if there is a King, his wife is addressed as Queen. But it is a way of speaking. So it's no constitutional position, let's say.

Interviewer: I ask because we had Prince Claus, Prince Bernhard, who were no Kings. But you will be Queen.

Princess Maxima: But we had Queen Emma. So yeah, that's ...

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
You need it so that a king is a man or a woman. And the Queen is always a woman. The constitutional King, as it is mentioned in the Constitution. So therefore you can not have a Queen Beatrix and Claus as a King. That can not be. And the other can.

Interviewer: And you're not afraid abroad that there might be confusion because you will arrive in pairs and that they might secretly think they ...

PRINCE OF ORANGE: I think the only thing about confusion, is in the Netherlands. In the rest of the world is perfectly normal.

Interviewer:
Does the choice of this title, regardless of the constitutional story, maybe something about equivalence between both of you? Do you see the monarchy as a shared task, as a kind of shared job?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Absolutely not. And I would also argue strongly. I think just as you would diverge from the norm is that you are asking for attention off. And the norm is that the wife of the King as "Queen" is being accessed. If you do so in a way or another is going to ask for doing otherwise, you go there so emphasize. But there is only one King in Netherlands. And at the moment is Beatrix. And after 30th April I will, if it all goes well. So no, there is no such thing as a job shared. There is only one head of state and you have constitutional obligations. And so it goes. You will be supported ....

Princess Maxima: I will always support him and where sometimes the King can not go somewhereo, I can represent him somewhere, but never take place.

PART 4

Interviewer: You will want to be addressed with the title "Queen"?

Princess Maxima:
No, it's a bit like my husband. I think ... Everyone calls me "Maxima", though, so look, Queen or Princess, does not matter. It's what we represent more than the title itself.

Interviewer: You know, of course, for a long time that you will be King. We also talked about it before. When is the day. What would you like to be? For a King.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I want to be a King who is first in the tradition, building on the tradition of my predecessors, which stands for continuity in this country and also for stability in the country. But a King in the 21st century can bind together, represent the society and encourage.

Interviewer: Tying together, represent encouraging. How do you do that in practice?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
By bein' present where you think people who need support or help. When going to beautiful and good events and giving extra attention. By supporting the people. Represent well in the Netherlands abroad. Try unifying element in society in many ways. Serving to society.

Interviewer:
Have you decided what you want to be a King? Want to be more detached, with some dignitas, as it is called, or you may want to have some folksy, closer to the people? Do you have an idea about it?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I think that each situation is different. Of course you're the King, but you are a human. And you also have emotions and feelings and sometimes you also express, otherwise you can not really be yourself. The important thing is that you remain authentic. If you are not authentic, you can not perform well in such a new function.

Princess Maxima:
I think he's been as he has been so far. And that will not change. And he is a person who is very close to the people, who likes a lot of contact with people. And you get your inspiration from. And will continue to be.

Interviewer: Your mother has done it for 33 years. Has she given you an important advice?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Be yourself, keep your course and try not to blow it popular with all winds because it breaks you. If you are authentic and just be yourself and demonstrate what you stand for, then you can last long in this way.

Interviewer:
You just said: "I want to continue the line", as your mother has done the past 33 years. You said, "but in the 21st century." You are saying that you want to make it more modern monarchy? What should I imagine?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Eventually you can say a monarchy: the only constant is that it is always changing, always moving with the society. Slowly, but it does move along with what society wants. Otherwise you stand out there, then you are no longer relevant. You're a symbol, but a symbol must have relevance.

Interviewer: What has changed recently, your role as King later in the formation. When your mother had no more. Role in the final formation. What do you think of that?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
They did have a constitutional role of the swearing in of the ministers. So how do you get it, that is unwritten constitutional law, that just goes in a certain way through and that is the desire of parliament. And Parliament is the highest body in the Netherlands.

Interviewer:
I'm asking you because you said earlier in an interview that you're quite attached to that role in the formation.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Yes, you clearly refer to the interview in 1993 with Van Westerloo, where the difference between substantive and ceremonial kingship is presented. And I did say: yeah, the formation is an important function, an important role for the King. I want it to bring back something in the era. It was ten years after the constitutional reform of 1983. And in that constitutional reform is the first newly named King as a member of the government. Before that did not exist. So if I had said at that time: yes, it should be a ceremonial monarchy where the King is not longer a member of the government, then I really had a problem. You can already see the headlines about you. So the time is ahead, continued and now I would really like to say that even without a formal role in the formation you may have. Kingship a substantive 20 years later

Interviewer: Which substantive elements of kingship attaches you most?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I think the monarchy is content in itself. For even, which sometimes sarcastically called "the ribbons cut" can be quite substantive. Because if you determine the ribbons you cut - and this is a moment of your presence at certain events, where you choose to be with, what do you choose to be, to focus on asking, unifying to representative to - those choices can give very content with what you stand for and what you find important for Netherlands. So even the ultimate symbol of the ceremonial monarchy, the ribbons cut, can be quite substantive.

Interviewer: If it is ever decided that it is purely ceremonial monarchy should be, would it be acceptable for you?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
If the legislative process is democratic and according to the rules of the Constitution, I accept everything. Since I have no problem with that. I'm King. And if there is a signature of mine to come, under then out there.

Interviewer:
Went to the latter formation, because in the last formation was your mother a different role in each case than before. And this formation is considerable criticism, huh? It would soon be gone, there would be few parties have been involved. And, not least, there would be too little looked at support in the Senate. Do you think your mother had made as it had fulfilled? Its original role as the difference.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Do you really think that I'm going to give an answer here? No, this seems really something that is not wise to give here. I said quite often in interviews that speech is silver, silence is golden. That does not mean I have no opinion as a person. The King may have an opinion, but he often keep it for yourself. And I think that's a golden rule is that I will keep good, starting with you. Fixed in the coming years.

Interviewer: If we were to draw the latter formation, the loose something you can say something about how great the value over the weight of that role in the formation that your mother used to be played?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
The important thing is that ultimately the King has a constitutional role in swearing and naming the ministers. And how that comes about, that will last even after the formation or going to change again. I'm convinced. In the time I'm king of this country, we will look back at this interview and say, of yes, when we all thought it was cast in concrete. That's not it. It will move with it. And that's fine. As long there is the democratic process but with the rules of the Constitution maintained.

Interviewer: Are you going to be like your mother has always done every week to talk to the Prime Minister? Do you feel that way?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I am planning to at least just go as my mother did, so to start the first Monday after April 30th, I'll be with a meeting with the Prime Minister. But it is very clear that it is essential to the well to fill ministerial responsibility, that the contact between the King and the Prime Minister must be optimal. Telephone, electronic, face to face, no matter. You should always be able to find each other and one hundred percent can rely on each other. Other ministerial responsibility does not work.

Interviewer: And it helps that you are contemporaries?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Yes, you have both your own responsibilities. And that is separate from the generations. But the fact that you are contemporaries, you'll sometimes have half a word. And that makes it easier.

Interviewer: You have various functions, including international. Soon you will keep doing what you're doing now? When Queen.

Princess Maxima:
I'll try to continue indeed. Certainly my international functions I am eager to continue. I'm not just doing it because I think it's nice of course, otherwise I would not even have started, but I also think about the representative role for the Netherlands and it also gives me a lot of information and experience that in the Netherlands can apply again. So I think that very much. I also have different functions in the Netherlands and I will continue to do really. It all fit in my role as Princess. It will not change as Queen, because my situation ... After April 30th, as we just talked about, it will not change my situation just like my husband.

Interviewer:
You might as Queen be more careful with some things? I call inclusive finance, there you are very active. The financial world is the last, let's say, not been in a very favorable light in the last five years. You should be careful with that if you are Queen? Is that a consideration?

Princess Maxima:You should always pay attention.

Interviewer: Extra?

Princess Maxima:
Yes, perhaps in the coming years. But I always have enormous attention and therefore I feel confident that it was given to really do my job. And the financial inclusion, the fact that the financial world might not come to be in really good daylight. Nevertheless, small, micro and medium-sized companies still have funding to grow, to invest and eventually to create jobs. So one does not take away the other.

PART 5

Interviewer:
How important is it for you - have Prince Claus and Prince Bernhard also about things said in the past - to keep doing your thing?

Princess Maxima:
Very important. Yes, I think it is very important. Yes, because it really gives me an intrinsic satisfaction that I get a lot of energy, to really be a better mother.

Interviewer: Amalia is older and also for her is of course have some change after the 30th. Do you have an idea - or do you already - how you will guide her in her new role?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I try to look at the way my parents when accompanied me and treated me. In any case, make sure that you have no difference in the family, that you make no difference between the children. The kids are just three and we love all three equally. And there is absolutely no difference internally. And yes, still trying to adjust to after her 18th. Formal direction. After her 18th birthday Amalia will join the Council of State. Then she gets an income of the rich. Then there are also obligations to. From that moment she's entitled at that age. Until then you should try to foreclose. So no official activities to undertake or at least as little as possible. Trying to give a childhood with her sisters, with her girlfriends and boyfriends and try to discover who she is. If you can not find who you are yourself, you can never have a good job serving in the future.

Interviewer:
Other subject. You have also got to handle regular criticism in recent years, ex on your holiday in Mozambique. You had it then you say goodbye. What actually went wrong?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Yes, of course that is very difficult to really give a moment. Because if it were really a moment it would be much easier to say: then you put it. That is a process that unfolded and where you also learn that even if the intentions are good and perhaps in an objective sense is nothing wrong, that it would not have to be good. That you have made ​​an error in judgment and that you try it with arguments oppose it because you truly believe that you are doing something good. But on the other hand, a holiday of course never come stand. Between our work and the Netherlands. And that happened. Our work for the Netherlands and the Netherlands was no longer relevant at that time. And I think I've made the error in judgment at that time by long trying to hold on to the positive side of the story and objective to show that there was nothing wrong with it. Anyway, we are people. People make mistakes. I will in the future continue to make mistakes. That's okay. When people make mistakes, you learn from it and you should make sure it does not happen again. And your environment must ensure that it is not completely out of hand. There is an environment of people also. I think we have learned a lot there and that it is also a part of the formation has been in our preparation for the kingdom.

Interviewer: Was there anyone in the area who said at one point against you: Boys, beware, this is not good. Are you alert?

Princess Maxima: Yes, in the process it is.

Interviewer: You now have a holiday in Greece. Have you submitted to the Prime Minister in advance?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
For Mozambique also submitted to the Prime Minister in advance. Yes, you do not think that after Mozambique ... I say a man may make mistakes, but you have to learn from your mistakes. (Laughs) So the answer is: yes, of course.

Interviewer: Something else. You will become the King in an economic crisis. What does that mean for your office?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Well, it is very important to those people who are really trying to support affected by the crisis, trying to be of hope maybe in the future, that we in the Netherlands have the strength to get us together in this a symbol crisis to operate. Individual will not succeed, but in conjunction, if we work together. The strength of the Netherlands is working together, at neighborhood level, in any level whatsoever. And regain the confidence that there is a future. And you can play a role as King.

Interviewer: Trade missions, as last to Brazil, you intensify that?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
It is in any case our intention to include the instrument of state visits certainly more to go work for economic relations. Outside Europe. But your question began: we are in a crisis. That we are well aware of. And that is why we have asked in consultation with the National Committee Inauguration to bring. The chance for once not just be negative. And his dreams for the King, and I like to take them all in reception, but of course for policymakers dreams, the dreams are for politicians, for anyone who really should hear what is going on in the Dutch population? And this whole project of the National Committee Inauguration also gives the opportunity for other people to hear the Dutch positive dreams and I hope that will be there.

Last parts tomorow... This Interview is HUGE! I need to sleep, so see you tomorow!

Thank you for the translation. I can't believe that the interviewer would bring up the topic of calling Maxima a Queen vs. a Princess. Why are people so stuck on that? Paola, Sonja, and Sylvia as the consorts are all Queens ... it's not like it's a new concept or anything?

They asked him what he wanted to be called too - I don't think it was so much a "will you be a Queen or Princess" as "how formal will this be" type thing.

There's also... A bit of confusion, it seems, in nations that are going from a female to male regnant, particularly one that has had a female regnant for such a long period of time - in the Netherlands, Beatrix - it's been 120 years since the last King reigned in the Netherlands.

Kathia_Sophia Thank you very much for the translation!!
A lot of work and highly appreciated:flowers:

Last edited:
Continuation - Last Parts

Interviewer:
Now, about that economic crisis. Do you understand that people might say more than in the past: let them even pay taxes?
PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I see. But I can not help - now as a very formal response, huh - then follow what the Chamber indicates salary and expenses to us. There is a law, the Act on Financial Regulations - which is quite recently adopted unanimously by the House - which is precisely regulated how the monarchy is funded in Netherlands. And that is probably because they say the King can not take additional salary themselves, because we love this way closely. But that also goes the other way: it is not for us to decide. We are trend followers according to that law.

Interviewer:
But people say that royals really costs a lot of money, it is very expensive, and it is at present crisis, what do you say those people?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I tell people that I understand their situation, but I sometimes question: how much do you think it would be? And people can therefore not answer. Because it is very difficult to quantify what a monarchy should cost.
Because ultimately what you see, budgets, actual costs, that really went down every year. And we are very very busy. I also understand that we have a fantastic income, get a fantastic support and we are extremely grateful. Here we try to provide maximum. And I, well, actually we are very sorry that we say to all members of the household: watch your costs, watch your costs.

Interviewer: Yet a little while, you said, I start with a formal response, because it is decided for us. But you can do as King say: I'd like to do more with less?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
If you're going to cut down on the cost of the monarchy means that almost immediately cut back on that we have to lay off people here. Because in the end it's all mainly for salaries of people who work for us. Certain things will not work out. And then you're firing ordinary people.

Interviewer:
Then integration. A few years ago you said during an interview for your 40th birthday, that you found the integration debate sharp, and you mentioned that "destructive". How do you think it is now?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I think I was naming the integration debate in the last decade that way. We obviously come from that situation in the Netherlands. And it's a pendulum that goes in one direction and the other direction. And I think at the time of the interview where you refer to, that we were really on the other hand, it was extreme. And it is becoming more realistic. And I hope that in the coming years will also be realistic. That would be my great desire. Because if we can solve it, then it is good to have a debate about to it.

Interviewer:
It can be very dificult when you want to debate. However, we saw that at times with your mother, ex: Christmas Speech. Is that something we can expect from yours too?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I have no concrete interpretation for myself at the Christmas speech, but it is a moment where you can lay down their own vision. I know it takes a lot of time to run a good Christmas Speech in each set. My mother has always put a lot of energy... Look, of course I'm a different person. Of course, I also want to keep a Christmas speech but whether that is in the same form and the same way to take shape, I do not know.

Interviewer: Maybe in 2013 a twitter message instead of a ...

Interviewer2: (Laughs). Yes, very little reference marks, huh?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: If you can say it in as few characters then you're a genius. So that I do not claim.

Interviewer: You go there to breed.

Interviewer:
If we have to discuss that integration debate, and also what you said about it before. You said not only that you found the debate destructive or very sharp, even when you said: we must be careful that we do not only focus on ethnic minorities in society, but perhaps also for the natives, because of that attention to immigrants maybe some feel pushed away. How do you see that?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Yes, that's ... The basis of the Oranje Funds time has been that we need to look at all Dutch precisely in 2002. Not only focus on specific target groups. And there were real people, native Dutch in the old neighborhoods in the city, really pinch at that time. And which were given less attention at the time. And I think that with the Oranje Funds have a very nice method found between generations, to be together. Binding process between different groups in different ways. And I think that ... That is all the more important. This is even more important. In particular between the generations. The generation differences are increasing. There you will see more and more tensions arise between them. Misunderstanding between generations.

Interviewer: That might be more of the problem now, you say, that generation gap?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: It's a problem that maybe some feel neglected in the past and where the Orange Fund now put lot of time into it and put in the effort to bring the very generations back together.

Interviewer: You really feel there's a special assignment for you?

Interviewer:
We are all Dutch, some of the Randstad, some of the countryside, you Argentinian blood of origin. Are we being aware of the fact that you were born and raised in Argentina, in your interpretation of your role as future Queen?
Princess Maxima: Have you noticed anything so far?

Interviewer: Yes, some things. The way you sometimes danced was not very Dutch.

Princess Maxima: (Laughing): I'm not reborn, huh, on 30th April. So I would say you'll be able to expect the same as has been the case so far from me. I will not do otherwise than before. And yes, of course, I have a background as Argentinian. I love dancing, I said, I love music. And I'll continue to do so.

Interviewer: It is a very hard task that you will soon carry on your shoulders. Did you have doubts ever?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Every man should've doubt. If you ... That's good, because that can also create adrenaline again to do even better. I think if you have the arrogance and do not doubt, the arrogance can not go well. And then you can certainly not be happy.

Interviewer: So a healthy doubt.

Interviewer: You're ready. Friend and foe agree. What actually means: be ready? What do you have mastered over the years that you can say: yes, I'm really ready?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I had a very good, long preparation time. First of all the training and education of my parents, training school.
But from my 18th on, I was very well prepared by my service, within the Council of State, in my student days in the Netherlands with several internships with various ministries in the country, all working visits, via the Orange Fund, where I can watch and meet the people and go through and through the land in the country. And that also applies of course for the Caribbean parts of the Kingdom. And finally in my nationally and internationally, itself can actually build something, so I have now the feeling, yes. I think I really am ready to take my mother's place now.

Interviewer: And then the Queen but not King's.

Interviewer: It saves a few days. Why did you make that choice?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
It was, of course .... It was very obvious for April 30th because Amalia's birthday is only on 7th December. But yes, it was institutionalized and the beauty of Netherlands is still the national holiday linked to the anniversary of the person at that moment is the symbol of unity and continuity. It was perfectly logical that my mother has chosen to hold it because her own birthday is on 31st January, and the Queen choose a day that is celebrated outside ... April 30th.

Interviewer: But that's a very practical reason. Because your mother did it as a tribute to her mother.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Also.

Interviewer: That was she said in her speech.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
Also. As well as practical reason because it is simply impossible in January 31st, which is primarily celebrated outside. So April 30th was a fantastic day to keep. But if you think yourself for 3 days diference, I find it very strange to not choose your own birthday and say, well, wait only 3 days and then I will officially celebrate.

Reactions: Ish
THE END

Interviewer: Will Kingsday be very different from Queensday?

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
There will certainly be a different emphasis. Though it is funny that while a lot of people make jokes about the day. But when you ask them: 'what do you want to change?' Nobody knows.

Interviewer (ironic): Koekhappen (a traditional Dutch game) is actually is actually quite nice .

Princess Maxima: But we do not do often 'gekoekhapt' ...

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
I did 'koekhappen' twice over the last 15 years. Once in Deventer, the 'cake city' (koekstad). And once for the Guinness Book of Records in Scheveningen.

Princess Maxima: I once did virtual 'koekhappen'.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: You have done that in Almere.

Princess Maxima:
But the essence of the event, I think is most important: that we are guests at a municipality in the Netherlands and we celebrate the day with them. Celebrate it in a way that they always celebrate it. That will really stay the same

PRINCE OF ORANGE: That certainly stay.

Princess Maxima: That will remain.

PRINCE OF ORANGE:
The defile (parade) will definately not return. Because like Máxima says, we will go to the a city, to celebrate it together with them. That is different than when you ask them to come to you. That isn't suitable for this day and age.

Interviewer: At King's day will we continue to see as many of your relatives?

MÁXIMA PRINCESS AND PRINCE OF ORANGE JOINT: Yes.

PRINCE OF ORANGE: We will try to do that.

Princess Maxima: Yes, it really is the day where the family, not just royal house but the entire family, shows themselves.

Interviewer: Last question. Suppose we will be talking again in about, let's say, 33 years, as long as your mother reigned, how would you want people to look back on your kingship?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: That is a very difficult question, of course.

Interviewer: I'm genuinely curious. What do you have in mind?

PRINCE OF ORANGE: Well, I think it is essential that you give something to the next generation that is in a better condition than you received it. That will be a very difficult challenge, because my mother has done very well. But by that time, by the time you mention yourself, 33 years ahead of us, there will be many changes in the Netherlands. And the most important is that the King and the monarchy will change their roles too. And yet, it still can be a symbol of continuity and unity. And that this symbol can be handed over in a good state to the next generation.

Interviewer: Thank you for this interview.
Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offence meant but was if really necessary to copy and paste the entire interview?

No offence meant but was if really necessary to copy and paste the entire interview?

I thought it was helpful- sharing the translated version

Thanks to the person who posted it!

I think that it is highly appreciated by most other members that kathia sophia took the time and effort to translate the interview. Esp. since most members here do not understand Dutch.

I don't understand your question... You could read the titel of this thread: "Interview with..." So what did you expect?
I hoped, that somebody translate it, because I don't understand Netherlandish. So I am also glad and thanks for this work! :flowers:

Kathia_Sophia Thank you very much for the translation!!
A lot of work and highly appreciated:flowers:

And again Kathia_Sophia,as apparently not all appreciate let alone understand what it means to do a great job!!Bravo for translating the ENTIRE interview indeed!!!:flowers:

The press and the politicians have been unanimously positive about the interview, also on the left side of the political spectrum. There is a lot of praise and maybe even surprise. The most often heard remarks are that WA is self assured, open, human etc. Very few critical notes anywhere. The poll that the NOS showed 20 minutes after the interview also showed that a vast majority of the viewers have a lot of trust in the future king and his wife. I only read 1 commentator saying that it was a 'show of authentisity', but he failed to say what he actually missed in the interview, or even why he found it a show.

I was surpsrised that at times the interviewers raised some difficult subjects (Friso, Máxima's father, ceremonial kingship, the house in Mozambique and the budget) and the couple actually seemed to have open and honest awnsers.

Most notable for the press will be that WA isn't dead-set against a ceremonial kingship and his remark that the kingship isn't a duo-job.

As we expected the teaser about WA saying that he doesn't care how people call him, was much more nuanced in the interview. He even said that the whole story that his mother insists on being called 'Majesty' is based on 1 journalist who in the early 80-ties asked how he should call HM. A courtier told him that it the correct form is 'Majesty', which is true as the PoO also noted.

Some nice info for those who enjoy Queensday: WA and Máxima do not want to change the day significantly and want to continue to celebrate the day in the country. They also added that this party will not only be attended by members of the royal house but it is for the entire family. So I guess we will continue to see the van Vollenhoven cousins showing up.

I don't thinkt hey could have done a better job TBH. And I liked itthat the focus was really on the future king. As Máxima herself said, her role won't be much different from what it was before, but his will.

-----
The interviewers said in Pauw & Witteman that they did not give the questions to the RVD/couple before the interview. They had one meeting at the Eikenhorst of 1 1/2 hours. They intentionally didn't want to discuss it too much beforehand as it would kill the tension/flow/... of the interview itself. They mentioned the topics that they would like to discuss though. And the interviewers also said that contrary to what people believe, they did not get a list of forbidden topics either. The interview was taped on the same day, they only had a short break for lunch. With Beatrix I believe they usually used 2 or 3 different moments. When Pauw asked the interviewers if the RVD asked them to delete a lot, they said that they themselves took out most, but the RVD only wanted to delete 1 small part of a few minutes. Pauw asked if the deleted part was about Mozambique. When they asked the couple if they were warned by others. Máxima said 'yes', a logical question afterwards would be "by whom', but that wasn't shown. Both Tweebeeke and Nieman smiled but didn't awnser the question.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. The interview was HUGE, but with google translator it was quicker, althought I had to correct the text a few times because of language errors, but in the end I didn't make it perfect, I'm so sorry!

4 1/2 million people watched the interview.

---
The RVD released a statement saying that the prince broke his little finger (hence the bandage).

--
The interview was also broadcasted in Flanders. On the VRT it was discussed by Peter Vandermeersch and Prem (in Dutch).

deredactie.be video: Reyers laat - 17/04/13

They also showed a clip of the duke of Brabant awnsering a very simular question to the one that the PoO got tonght, about the ceremonial kingship, quite a noticable difference.

According to an NOS poll after the interview, 90% think that WA will be a 'good' king and 91% thinks the same about Máxima.

---
Article from Hello magazine:
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalt...ess-maxima-prince-willem-alexander-interview/

and from France 24:
http://www.france24.com/en/20130418-dutch-crown-prince-vows-less-protocol

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the translation! Hope I am able to watch the days events from Canada!!

Thank you so much for the translation,Kathia_Sophia!
flowers.gif
I really appreciated it!

What a good interview!
They were so relaxed and open, not avoiding any questions.
I think the interviewers did a great job (the woman had a really beautiful voice).

Suprises for me were that they allready knew for more than a year about the abdication and that W-A as king, being member of the government, is no longer in the military and can not wear a uniform anymore.

It was very emotional when W-A talked about Friso and you could see the tears in Maxima's eyes.

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Translating, correcting and then formatting is a very big task and is much appreciated.

It's members like kathia_sophia who put a whole lot of time and effort into producing something they believe will be of value and interest to other members, that continue to make TRF such an enjoyable and rewarding forum.

Once again, a very big and well-deserved thank you to kathia_sophia. :flowers:

applauselarge.gif

Last edited:
kathia_sophia, Thank you for the very clear and detailed interview of the couple. I like how they are going to include the kids in the whole day celebrations and also how open and how real they seemed in the interview.

Yes, I was very excited they're including all of the children in all of the activities on the day! I bet the girls are very excited.

Back
Top Bottom