Inauguration Water Pageant and Dinner: April 30, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I gather the Mayor of Amsterdam was not happy when TM made the decision to get off the boat to greet the DJ and orchestra because it was not in his plans for the event. He later admitted that it was the right decision because it made people happy.
Honestly, it seems that ever since Beatrix announced her decision to abdicate the mayor has done nothing but whine and complain about all aspects of the inauguration.

I gather the Mayor of Amsterdam was not happy when TM made the decision to get off the boat to greet the DJ and orchestra because it was not in his plans for the event. He later admitted that it was the right decision because it made people happy.
Amsterdam Mayor Eberhard van de Laan was concerned when the King in his "stubbornness" wanted to make an unexpected stop. Just before Willem-Alexander disembarked, we can see Mayor Van der Laan in a pressured telephone consultation. "But then there was the wisdom of our own king himself who left the boat wanting to shake Armin van Buuren's hand and my concerns were completely ignored. But this is right." said Mayor van der Laan.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima personally greeted Armin van Buuren and the concertmaster of the orchestra, Vesko Eschkenazy. Máxima is the patron of the orchestra. The action of the royal couple was unexpected and led to an enthusiastic response from the audience. "The Policy Centre is just through the roof. Now we 'adjust' and are back on the official program," twittered the Mayor's spokeman Bartho Boer. Followed by: "What a King!"

Last edited:
van der Laan mixes-up stubbornness with spontaneous...Except when it suits himself..ofcourse,or his party...oh yeah well...Everybody LOVED WA and Máxima stopping by at the Concert of Armin and the RCO...It was fantastic,and as far as the safety scare...non-existent!Everybody was in place already anyway...so..v/d L just tries to profile himself a bit more then the feathers he already recieved...:whistling:

Last edited:
Did Stéphanie & Guillaume attend the event?

I'm watching the whole water pageant again on Youtube and I just wanted to say I admire how this inauguration was celebrated. The Dutch not only celebrated their new King, but also themselves as a nation. It wonderfully symbolized what a monarchy should be: a unifiying force in nation above all things. And this unity couldn't have been better demonsrated. Congratulations!

I'm watching the whole water pageant again on Youtube and I just wanted to say I admire how this inauguration was celebrated. The Dutch not only celebrated their new King, but also themselves as a nation. It wonderfully symbolized what a monarchy should be: a unifiying force in nation above all things. And this unity couldn't have been better demonsrated. Congratulations!

It is funny that you say that Charlotte, today a poll was published and the results showed that the inauguration made 80% of us feel proud of our country and 55% even thinks that it will make people think more positively about the future.

The Dutch have every right to feel proud...it was a wonderful spectacle carried off from start to finish without a hitch.

And the new King and Queen and their little daughters are magnificent, imo.

van der Laan mixes-up stubbornness with spontaneous...Except when it suits himself..ofcourse,or his party...oh yeah well...Everybody LOVED WA and Máxima stopping by at the Concert of Armin and the RCO...It was fantastic,and as far as the safety scare...non-existent!Everybody was in place already anyway...so..v/d L just tries to profile himself a bit more then the feathers he already recieved...:whistling:

I must say the Mayor does come across as a bit of a killjoy. He whined since January about the costs, then he warned people to stay away from Amsterdam because the city couldn't the city couldnt handle crowds, and then complaining about the Kings stubborness. When you see him talking on the phone on the boat just before WA gets off to go to the concert you can see he was not a happy camper.

Back
Top Bottom